Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:08:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames that don't feel like working another job
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Games that don't feel like working another job  (Read 7057 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 01:23:06 PM »

if ristar then mario 2 usa

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2015, 06:17:35 AM »

I think all the mario games belong on the list.
I really want to get 3d world soon

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 06:20:16 AM »

PURPLE COINS FEEL LIKE JOBS SO NO

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 06:51:30 AM »

If you are down this trip I enjoyed Volgarr. Unlike Mario games it is based on a more solid and discrete set of mechanics which allow clean pattern usage.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »

Honestly Volgarr felt like a job for me since i had to learn the linear pattern of all the danger you meet throughout the levels.  Wasn't that enjoyable the further i went.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2015, 02:57:16 PM »

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 is probably my favorite time killer.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
lobstersteve
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2015, 12:42:49 PM »

Hmm..i don't quite get this thread. Angvik is on the list, but it's a pretty hard platformer. Does it still count, because it has a peaceful vibe and a somewhat slow pace? For me, all action platformers, with easy to learn mechanics don't feel like work to me. Especially if they are polished and have a comprehensible world build around them. So it's more about testing your reactions and enjoying the world you are in. The only difference i see with the games here on the list and other action platformers is a smaller death rate, so maybe that's what you are talking about.

But to talk more about games that are on the same wavelength as kirby:
Little big planet?
Limbo? (It's eery, but never stressful)

Probably chip'n'dales and felix the cat for the NES.

Oh and Yoshi's Island.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »

Hmm..i don't quite get this thread. Angvik is on the list, but it's a pretty hard platformer. Does it still count, because it has a peaceful vibe and a somewhat slow pace? For me, all action platformers, with easy to learn mechanics don't feel like work to me. Especially if they are polished and have a comprehensible world build around them. So it's more about testing your reactions and enjoying the world you are in. The only difference i see with the games here on the list and other action platformers is a smaller death rate, so maybe that's what you are talking about.

But to talk more about games that are on the same wavelength as kirby:
Little big planet?
Limbo? (It's eery, but never stressful)

Probably chip'n'dales and felix the cat for the NES.

Oh and Yoshi's Island.

Good suggestions, will add

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 05:41:16 PM »

yoshi's island is the shit

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2015, 07:54:55 PM »

Still need to beat it. I haven't played it as a kid. Whenever they tried to take Mario always scared the crap out of me.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2015, 01:35:02 AM »

Wait, you're not putting the zelda games on there because you don't want to advertise something already popular, but you're willing to include mario games on your list? What?

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2015, 01:18:43 PM »

-Anarchy Arcade
-Bejeweled
-Cloudbuilt
-DuckTales /Remastered
-Eryi's Action
-Freedom Planet
-Grav
-Jet Set Radio
-King of Fighters (in fact, a lot of Fighting games would still qualify!)
-Lexica
-Momodora series
-Nidhogg
-One Finger Death Punch
-Sonic 3 and Knuckles - IF you skip the Blue Spheres/Super Sonic crap
-Stardust Vanguards
-Super Hexagon
-Towerfall Ascension
-VVVVVV
-The Yawhg
-You Don't Know Jack series

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2015, 01:37:19 PM »

am I alone in thinking that yoshi's island can actually be kind of stressful?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2015, 01:49:23 PM »

am I alone in thinking that yoshi's island can actually be kind of stressful?

i always thought that too, yes. i also remember the game being kind of hard actually (but otoh its been years since i last played it seriously so might be misremembering)
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2015, 05:14:10 PM »

I remember having the shit scared out of me whenever they tried to take baby Mario when I played it as a kid..

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
RJAG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2015, 05:28:15 PM »

All TellTale games (I assume they are all like this, anyway).

Confirmed: TellTale's The Walking Dead (Season 1 & 2).

Shadowrun (Sega Genesis version only). Although you do feel like you're working another job. The job of a cyberpunk investigator trying to solve your brother's death!!! Jacking into the matrix for fast money. Playing errand boy for more money.

It's like one of those jobs that doesn't FEEL like a job, even when you're jobbing. Idk why I mentioned that one.

I said only that version, because all the others feel like a ton of work. Especially the newer ones, I feel like I'm working some kind of job where I have to go through tons of text ("story") sifting through documents. All just to understand what is going on. If I wanted heavy reading, I'd read a book.
Summersault
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2015, 03:52:53 PM »

Oh I feel you there... the only games I really play anymore are those that are more of an enjoyable experience than a game. So here's some I've come across, vaguely organized from 'experience-like' to 'game-like':

Journey (my all-time favourite)
Flower
The Endless Forest
Shelter
Dear Esther
Tengami
Gravitation, Passage ("game poems" by Jason Rohrer)
Cloud (Jenova Chen)
A Bird Story
To The Moon
Limbo
FEZ
Braid
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus

Hope there's something new for you that you like Smiley
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »

All TellTale games (I assume they are all like this, anyway).

Confirmed: TellTale's The Walking Dead (Season 1 & 2).

Shadowrun (Sega Genesis version only). Although you do feel like you're working another job. The job of a cyberpunk investigator trying to solve your brother's death!!! Jacking into the matrix for fast money. Playing errand boy for more money.

It's like one of those jobs that doesn't FEEL like a job, even when you're jobbing. Idk why I mentioned that one.

I said only that version, because all the others feel like a ton of work. Especially the newer ones, I feel like I'm working some kind of job where I have to go through tons of text ("story") sifting through documents. All just to understand what is going on. If I wanted heavy reading, I'd read a book.
I still have no clue what to do in the matrix in that game.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
RJAG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2015, 11:12:34 PM »

I forgot really, so I can't explain it, although I'd know if I played it for a bit and figured it out again Tongue

I think last time, playing it as an adult (instead of a kid which was far too long ago to remember), I had to read a guide on gamefaqs to figure it out I think, lol. It was more fun when I was a kid, but that's a bit unfair since last time I played it was pretty recently where we had games closer to what we'd see with Oblivion/WoW/Whatever-Games-of-the-Time-When-I-Played-Last.

Although it was still fun, it was just a lot more fun back when it was a brand new game.

In context, the rest of the game (everything but the matrix and combat) was just as fun or MORE fun than back when. Especially since as an adult, I could actually read the story and progress, lol.
TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2015, 11:32:34 PM »

I'd posit that most local multiplayer games are by their very nature not very grindy, so I'd add Towerfall, Samurai Gunn, Nintendo Land, and any number of Mario Karts to the list. Though I admit sometimes getting three of my friends in the same room can feel like a second job...

Also I think this is tough to find games that are universally "not grindy", like for example I've been breezing through Guacamelee, and feel like it's a really fun experience, but I also tend to try once or twice to get some of the more complicated chests, and pass on them if I feel like it wouldn't be satisfying to get through whatever obstacle you have to.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic