Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:53:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Death Worm Stage Design
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Death Worm Stage Design  (Read 32879 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »

Thanks  people Grin

I'm not a level designer, and I know it Tongue Posting this picture was mainly about giving you two new grafical elements, the plane and the pit, which you could maybe move around and edit to create a good level.

Godsavant, I know what you mean about the textures being too messy. In the case of the pits it was me desperatly trying to make them look smooth depite the fact that they are square(Didn't know the engine supported slopes). The plane is messy because it's main shape doesn't really look that good having to adapt to totally straight wings, and I tried to cover it up in a lot of details. Also adapting to other people's grafical styles is one of my weaknesses Shrug

Didn't think about the tail bending :D

If you feel like editing it to fit the grafical theme a bit more I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »

I wouldn't worry about the pits anymore. They aren't a good gameplay element, and they aren't even true to Death Worm. Death Worm just burrows through sand; it doesn't need tunnels.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009, 11:50:30 PM »

In death worm there are huge rocks scattered around in the desert. When the worm flyes up on them they are thrown up in the air, and lands somewhere else.

What if we had a completely flat level with maybe three or four of those rocks on it, the highest being 128 pixels high. The rocks would work as obstacles, being completely stuck in the sand. Now and then the worm emerges beneath one of them, and people have to avoid the worm as well as the falling rock. When the rock lands it gets stuck in the sand again, posing an obstacle.
Fuzz
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 12:12:49 AM »

In death worm there are huge rocks scattered around in the desert. When the worm flyes up on them they are thrown up in the air, and lands somewhere else.

What if we had a completely flat level with maybe three or four of those rocks on it, the highest being 128 pixels high. The rocks would work as obstacles, being completely stuck in the sand. Now and then the worm emerges beneath one of them, and people have to avoid the worm as well as the falling rock. When the rock lands it gets stuck in the sand again, posing an obstacle.
Maybe the rocks could also work as platforms?
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 12:23:10 AM »

That was what I thought.
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 02:33:26 AM »

Maybe if the worm was a little longer you could walk on it as a platform as it burrowed? It would be like an escalator and carry you off the screen to die if you're too slow, And the mouth would be the part that does massive damage
Actually maybe that's kind of dumb Tongue
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 07:25:34 AM »

I don't see why you guys are so opposed to the platforms. In a stage where you always worry about avoiding obstacles, having more places to go to makes the gameplay more dynamics and strategically deep.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2009, 07:41:30 AM »

I don't like them bacause they are made of stone and hovering in the air. That looks awfully, awfully wrong to me, since I'm used to stuff falling down. I think that every other option is preferable to this one, actually. Including a completely flat floor.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2009, 07:51:13 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
in a fighting game, gameplay trumps graphics.

PS: I take it you don't play Smash Bros?

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 08:03:06 AM »

Undecided
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2009, 08:04:41 AM »

That would work.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Yami
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2009, 09:08:34 AM »

I don't like them bacause they are made of stone and hovering in the air. That looks awfully, awfully wrong to me, since I'm used to stuff falling down. I think that every other option is preferable to this one, actually. Including a completely flat floor.

Seriously, it's a hovering platform, it's not suppose to make sense. I thought this was more like Smash, not Street Fighter. With that said, I believe some levels can have a ground, but it makes the game more predictable and less interesting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
in a fighting game, gameplay trumps graphics.

PS: I take it you don't play Smash Bros?

Obviously... Apoplectic
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 09:21:13 AM »

I had a pretty similar idea for this stage. Only there would be soldiers and aliens fighting the worm(s? I wanted two to be around messing) in the background, and pieces of debris would be thrown to the foreground from the explosions of the vehicles.

The players could be warned of incoming worm attack by making the ground tremble, and the portion of the ground where the worm will emerge would start to raise until the worm comes out. All this would happen in a short time lapse, so players have enough warning and just the required time to relocate.

I love Jljac massive worm sprite. I still believe it should be segemented, so the jump could have different angles and distances.

Jljac idea for the platforms in the stage is great as well. It could be even more interesting if the worm could also "destroy" them, more like throwing them when colliding.

EDIT: removed pic
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:43:20 AM by Abraham Jones » Logged

Fuzz
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »

pieces of hubris would be thrown to the foreground from the explosions of the vehicles.
I'm pretty sure you mean debris, seeing as hubris basically means arrogance. Tongue
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2009, 09:43:42 AM »

pieces of hubris would be thrown to the foreground from the explosions of the vehicles.
I'm pretty sure you mean debris, seeing as hubris basically means arrogance. Tongue

Where did I say that?

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2009, 10:26:07 AM »

Yami. Are you here to bug me by infinitly edit my sprites for the worse until I weep blood again? Lips Sealed

I still believe it should be segemented, so the jump could have different angles and distances.
This would be rad, but it will be hard to get it to work with the outlines. We want a consistent outline around the whole thing, which I don't get how we would do if the worm was made of separate sprites. One segment would have to be in top of another, and then you would see the outline of that segment in front of the other segment, cutting the worm straight over. If you do not draw the outline at the segment's "front and back" but only at it's sides it will crack up when the worm is bent.

Only way I can think of to solve this is by having an entire set of segments behind all the other segments, those being slightly bigger and black. And since we are already dealing with at least 10 big sprites moving around and rotating, I don't think the game would run any faster by making them 20.

I don't see skipping the outline completely as an option, since it is the main feature in the IB grafical theme.

One option is to draw the worm at three different "bends", one almost a circle, one as the one we have and one almost straight. Then we could make three sizes of arcs the worm can move in, each fitting it's own sprite.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:30:53 AM by JLJac » Logged
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2009, 10:32:11 AM »

Only way I can think of to solve this is by having an entire set of segments behind all the other segments, those being slightly bigger and black. And since we are already dealing with at least 10 big sprites moving around and rotating, I don't think the game would run any faster by making them 20.
I don't think it would make much of a difference. I mean, it only appears sparingly anyway, even if it did, but I really don't think it will.

Yami
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »

Don't give me that shit. I said the gameplay for levels with grounds are more predictable and less interesting than hovering platforms. THAT'S IT.. I even said that it was okay to have it sometimes. If you want to debate, do it in a message not by going off topic in a thread where it is completely irrelevant to the subject.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2009, 11:22:45 AM »

No no no, was just kidding Roll Eyes

I agree with you 100% on floors, being able to fall off a level adds an element of danger when moving around, making the players concetrating more than if they can just stand on a flat surface and spam the attack buttons.

Still I think that though a platform might be floating if just looking at the collision box it's always preferable to in the grafics give a hint of it being anchored to something, instead of just magically floating in the air.
Yami
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2009, 11:33:56 AM »

The game has Barkley, a bunny with a staff, a worm with guns, and a naked ninja. I don't think the player will be so fixed on why the platforms are floating.  Big Laff
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 11:26:47 PM by Yami » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic