Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:00:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeToo soon for a DevLog?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Too soon for a DevLog?  (Read 4716 times)
sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 07:47:45 AM »

The important question is: What would the consequences of starting a devlog to early be?

And my answer is none at all, so, never too early. Well there's an exception, it's too early to open a devlog if you don't know if you are going to commit to developing the game and actually finish and publish it, because it can hurt your reputation a bit.

Just my two cents.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 10:29:40 AM »

And my answer is none at all, so, never too early. Well there's an exception, it's too early to open a devlog if you don't know if you are going to commit to developing the game and actually finish and publish it, because it can hurt your reputation a bit.

But that may also help whip you in actually keep working on and finish it. Never underestimate the power of self-inflicted shame and guilt.  Gomez

sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2015, 07:32:28 AM »

But that may also help whip you in actually keep working on and finish it. Never underestimate the power of self-inflicted shame and guilt.  Gomez

you are right, actually

LtRin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 09:00:01 AM »

I agree with most of these responses. It is NEVER too early!
I started a DevLog WAYYY too late and am now kicking myself for it.
Even if you only have a sketch of what your aiming at doing then scan it. post it. give your intentions.  I find that seeing development from the VERY beginning is often the most interesting log to follow.
good luck Smiley

Game on Smiley
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 03:01:29 PM »

I started our devlog pretty soon into development on our game since everything I've read said you should start early -- and I'm an artist so I had visuals to show early.

I'm not sure how it's going to work out in the end, but we've been upfront about how much actual gameplay has been completed & how we don't have a demo or Kickstarter planned until next year. Fingers crossed people don't get tired of hearing about the game before then!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 11:19:47 PM »

[...]I'm an artist so I had visuals to show early.

That's a very good point, imho. You could evoke huge interest in your project with a thread containing merely some gifs (even without any playable version).
Vivid Foundry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »

I'm glad that the prevailing attitude is that it's never too early to make a devlog.

The perfectionist art side of me wants to hone in on exactly what art style I want to use before I start the devlog, and to show that off with in-engine functionality. Would it be too annoying to readers to see that change drastically or to see a lot of experimentation? But I'm guessing the answer is that it's completely part of a normal process of the devlog to discuss changes in art, UI, design, coding and even game mechanics rather than just executing on all the design decisions that's already been made.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 01:25:19 PM »

Or you could put a disclaimer in each post saying that things might change at any time. I personally love to see the style and look of games evolve through a development process. I hope to read your devlog soon!

Vivid Foundry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 04:30:37 PM »

Thank you, ProgramGamer, for your advice! That's a good idea to mention how likely changes might be on different parts and elements of the game. Looking forward to building the dev blog soon!

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 05:01:35 PM »

If you're waiting until its perfect, wouldn't you essentially be waiting to make a devlog until its finished? Wink

Showing the development and changes over time is part of the reason you make a devlog in the first place.
Vivid Foundry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 05:46:14 PM »

Hahah, I understand. I feel like the exercise in keeping a devlog will gradually erode my perfectionistic tendencies if I'm to make timely updates on it! That can only be a good thing.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 05:14:19 AM »

Would it be too annoying to readers to see that change drastically or to see a lot of experimentation?

Quite the opposite. The point of the dev log is to follow the changes. The final result is going to be in the final game, so that no fun reading about.

Ideally I think you should start the dev log before you start the game. Use the first posts to pitch the potential final game, but without spoiling it. It's a good way to test if the basic idea is marketable.

sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 01:13:55 PM »

Actually I have just done that on my curret devlog. The game had painted 2d art and now its low res pixel art. Reception has been good so far. I think being able to see development evolve is not only more interesting for followers but also more useful for other devs if you happen to succeed and make your game well known.

So you would be giving back to the community in advance.

Vivid Foundry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »

Sorry for the late reply. Not for lack of interest in creating a devlog, that's for sure.

Hahah, wow. I think this thread has completely reformed my thinking about how to make a devlog for the better. Thank you! I'm going to clear this week's work and then get the devlog all set up.

I think it'll help me organize how to talk about my game as well, and others may ask me questions that I didn't think to ask.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic