Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:36:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsDevs in Poland
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Devs in Poland  (Read 1749 times)
JonnyB
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »

Hi everyone,

I recently joined the forum. (This is my second post)

I'm thinking about taking a long holiday to work on my own projects for a bit. At the moment I'm drawn to Poland, the big cities like Warsaw, Poznan, Krackow or Gdansk seem like interesting places.

To keep myself from going insane it'd be awesome to know what the cities are like and the gaming community is like in those cities. So I've got a few questions:
  • Would anyone like to meetup for a drink and a chat about games and stuff?
  • What are the sights I just have to see?
  • Are there are big conferences or meetups that I could go to?
  • Any hidden treasures I should look for?
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:10:25 AM »

If you'd like to see something go to Gdansk and Krakow, but I don't know what gamedev communities there are.
There's Digital Dragons in a month in Krakow and Pyrkon in Poznan in a week, these are fun!
I don't live in any of these big cities but I spent some time there so that's my unbiased opinion. Wink

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 07:08:18 AM »

Warsaw has the largest game dev community, both AAA and indies, so someone would definitely be up for a beer or ten Smiley. Pixel Heaven also happens in Warsaw -- a pretty cool retro/indie/arcade event in the vein of A Maze.

Krakow is the next biggest one community-wise, though it's mostly mid-sized casual companies. They drink less, too. Their Digital Dragons is one of the biggest Polish gamedev events. A bit like a smaller version of GDC. Devs-only, cool lectures, parties, networking.

Poznan houses a few prominent indies, so there's some tight-knit community. Biggest event is Poznan Games Arena. A PAX-like huge consumer expo. Mainly for kids, but it also has a sister-event which is focused on devs and indies. It's the biggest one in Poland by far.

Personally, I think Warsaw's the best for community and all the conveniences being in a big central city entails. Events are all within a few hours train trip range, so your location doesn't matter that much. Hope it helps Smiley.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
JonnyB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 06:16:38 AM »

Thanks for replying guys.

I guess I'll have to do a bit more research into the events.
Digital Dragons sounds awesome.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic