Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:12:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJetpunk: A platformer with jetpacks
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jetpunk: A platformer with jetpacks  (Read 1805 times)
Icelus
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2015, 06:35:31 AM »

**Jetpunk**

A game where you jetpack around and assassinate your targets as fast as you can!

Alpha build version 1.2 playable in your browser, here: https://googledrive.com/host/0BxgopjXjTRhJfmstMkFiVll6Q3ljTFZub19Sa0EzOE1udk5TSWlJbTh0RGV3ejB5MnlUbTA

What I worked on this week:

* More smoother movement and controls. (Done! I hope!)
* Make jetpacking feel more awesome and fun. (Also done...I hope!)
* Add obstacles, traps, etc (Working on it!)
* Foreground and background look too similar. (Scrapped, check release notes)
* Jetpack needs a flame animation, or something that makes it look way cooler. (Working on it!)
* Assassinating your target wasn?t very interesting or fun (Working on it!)
* Enemies with jetpacks? (backlog)
* Jetpack on spacebar. (backlog)

Jetpunk release notes for version 1.2

* I spent a ton of time on player movement, more than any other feature. Complete overhaul. Moving and jetpacking (this is totally a word now) are much faster now. Feels (hopefully) more fluid and fun.
* Jetpack refuels slightly faster. Player has more maximum fuel, and a higher max vertical speed. Has a *significantly* higher max horizontal speed when jetpacking. Player still has to land to refuel, will keep an eye on this as a mechanic.
* The artist moved on to another project, so I had to remove the art and start over. Currently has placeholder art, and only for the foreground. So the art contrast problem is (sort of?) solved for now, at least. I will be looking into making the game look pretty, I promise, but I want to keep iterating on gameplay and focusing on making the game as fun as possible first. I will keep trying to add small art stuff every week, and at the very least more concept art.
* Lasers! The player can now shoot lasers by pressing SPACEBAR. Now you can shoot your target, instead of just walking up to him. Still experimenting with this feature. Currently the lasers will kick your player back slightly when you fire, also experimenting with this.
* Added a timer! My idea was that you are trying to assassinate targets, and they will find out you are after them if you take too long. Since I want the gameplay to be more fast-paced and frantic, I figured this would push it in that direction. Faster you finish the level, the higher your score is.

Working on the stuff above, and more levels and obstacles. Game is still super basic, I know, and I will work hard to build it out more.

Thanks for playing and/or reading!

Have a great weekend!

-Icelus

EDIT: Known bugs- the laser tilts when you are jetpacking. If you don't let go of W, you won't refuel when you hit the ground.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:44:10 AM by Icelus » Logged
DrFrankenstein
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 02:07:36 PM »

Hey Icelus,

I really like your idea! What I think now is if you could make the game faster, like try to make a jetpack heist or something like that.
Theres still a lot to do, but the jetpack movement works  Beer!. What I don't understand is why the jetpack just refills if the player is on the ground.

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »

Gave it a quick play, it's pretty good, but a bit slow. Also, will the platforms be more linear, maybe with a level design, etc.

I think the art should be a little smaller once you get an artist, but otherwise it's good.

Smiley

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »

I tested it, and thought it was pretty good.  Just like what the previous guys said, you should probably make it a little more fast paced, so you have to think quickly.  I also thought that you should make the game a little more vertically based, think doodle jump.  Just my opinions.  Keep up the great work!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 05:25:57 PM »

Feels all right. I agree with the others about the slowness.

The collisions bugged me a bit. I fell off platforms a couple of times because the character can fall through the sides of them.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I hate using WASD for anything that doesn't use a mouse. It feels so awkward to me, and using Spacebar to shoot feels wrong because I'm used that being jump/jetpack in games that use those keys. Alternate control options would be nice.

I do mostly like how moving the character feels, though, so that's a good start.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Garren
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 05:40:49 PM »

Sweet game, I thought it felt pretty good. The platform stuff is a little weird because you fall off when you don't think you should fall off. Maybe keep the player on the platform edges if they are falling but let them through if they are jet packing up through the platform edges. Also, when sneaking up on the guy from the left you get really close and my first reaction was to want some sort of hand-to-hand combat mechanic.

This game would also be fun as a race I think, like Jet Pack Mario Kart.
RedHickory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 12:13:24 PM »

I like the mechanics here.  The jetpacking is quite fun although I was thrown off when I killed the one enemy and the game just ended.  Nice beginning though, for sure.

My browser-based RPG (WIP) - Chronicles of Tright.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic