Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:13:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Chrome Removes Unity3D Support
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chrome Removes Unity3D Support  (Read 2106 times)
Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2015, 01:27:29 AM »

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/10/28/the-future-of-web-publishing-in-unity-an-update/

It's happened. How are you afflicted? Already working on WebGL conversions? Propagating Firefox? Screamy

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 01:46:39 AM »

It's absolutely awful and WebGL is far from working properly. Plus WebGL won't work on a lot of computers regardless of browser.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 03:27:07 AM »

I thought it was a bit of a pity, but this brought some more news into the mix for me. I've read two articles on the matter so far, and this one was quite enlightening. I'd gotten the impression that Mozilla had been warning about this and that Unity people hadn't cared at all to try to update their stuff in order to respect this - but apparently they have.

Moving on to new standards is good, and as long as it's actually happening, I'm all for it.

But maybe there should've been an exception made for the Unity player until the WebGL stuff is really working properly in a final form.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:53:18 AM »

Unity isn't the only software development platform being affected. (or the only company) Chrome is also going to be dropping support for Microsoft's Silverlight. (a development environment for web apps similar to Adobe's Flash/Flex) The company I'm working for is going to be directly affected by this change, and is accelerating its plans for developing an HTML5 version of their web app.

The web-integrated virtual machine is going the way of the Dodo. Better get used to the idea of developing everything for HTML5. More glad than ever that I'm scaling up my javascript practice.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 07:42:51 AM »

does flash still works? Huh?
irony if it does

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »

It does. Uses PPAPI or something like that instead of the NPAPI that's getting removed.

dphsw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »

I've seen users discussing it on the Kongregate forums, and they were generally speaking in favour of moving to Firefox.  Every Unity dev I've heard from so far is having problems getting a WebGL build to run.  If users all see that lots of websites (and not just stuff for playing games, since other things use NPAPI support) stop working in Chrome, I think they're just likely to switch away from Chrome.  Kongregate's suggestion to devs is to upload a WebGL build, but its suggestion to users seems to be to try Firefox, and I think a lot of games websites will do the same!

Try the online minigame version of our upcoming game Balloon Platform Defense!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 10:04:35 AM »

It's official that the WebGL stuff isn't done yet tho, so it's not like Unity guys are saying it's working fine and doing nothing (like filezilla guy cough cough). They're working on it now and it'll hopefully work soon now that there's pressure with this whole Chrome thing.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »

Wonderful, pushing html5 when it's still largely broken.

In google's defense, they've been warning people about this for at least a year now.

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »

We just finished a Unity game for one of our clients recently that needed web support.  Given around 60% of people now use Chrome as their main browser we are having to rerelease the project.  Needless to say this has proven a little problematic for us given as Unity says WebGL support isn't all there.  Fortunately our game is very small and it looks like the WebGL rebuild is working fine so far but it is pretty stressful knowing that everything could fall apart due to the Unity end being unfinished.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »

That's engine/custom tradeoff for ya.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 09:41:12 PM »

Idiots being idiots and pushing a broken by design HTML5 "standard". Yay future.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 02:34:36 AM »

The idiots are the browser devs not making sure everyone conforms to the same standard tho.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 11:27:53 PM »

Well, at least the websites are trying to make the users as aware as possible of the issue now.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »

The idiots are the browser devs not making sure everyone conforms to the same standard tho.

I would place some of the blame on the people who decided to make the language of choice for the modern web a language that was conceived and implemented in 10 days with the sole intent of making java applets easier to load.

Now if I only I could figure out who those people are so I can send them hate mail  WTF

Praesidium
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 02:46:27 AM »

I have no idea whose fault it is, but it sure sucks :X
MorleyDev
Level 0

"It is not enough for it to just work"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 03:40:56 AM »

I can see why they did it. On the one hand, it sucks for people who are being forced to update away from native-in-web. On the plus side, it's forcing people to update away from native-in-web and to the cross-compatible standards (now, the quality of those standards aside: forcing people to use them will also force improvements to said standards).

Maybe I've spent too long in enterprise, but it seems that a lot of people wouldn't be doing that unless they're forced to use the new toys by the taking the old toys away. Stasis is a powerful force after-all, and a problematic one.

Performance wise V8 is catching up with asm.js whilst even Microsoft have stated they intend to support it. Heck, even Javascript is starting to become a language people compile-to instead of code in (With the Emscripten, Typescript, ECMAScript 6, and all that).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:48:01 AM by MorleyDev » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic