Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:49:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMable & The Wood
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Mable & The Wood  (Read 82837 times)
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:00:57 AM »

Mable & The Wood

Shape-shifting fairytale adventure platformer

DOWNLOAD THE DEMO

I made this game in 48 for hours for Ludum Dare. The mechanic is pretty simple, you just have to kills the monsters to stop the colour draining out of the forest.

To kill them, you have to drop your sword by transforming into a faerie and then recall it so that it cuts them in half.

It was pretty late when I worked out what the actual game was, so I spent most of the time at first working on the art. A lot of this work probably wasn't necessary, for example I made her hair blow in the same direction as the wind for no real reason other than I couldn't think of what else to do with my time:

Here's a gif of the combat mechanic

I'm not sure what the plan is now. I wanted to include some platform puzzling and actually build some real levels, mainly so I can draw more. I forgot how much I love doing pixel art.

Any ideas or suggestions let me know!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 09:08:41 AM by and » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »

Well you already know how I feel about the art... I'm a huge Eyvind Earle fan so I love it.

Even cooler seeing it with the mechanic. Nice idea, very simple. Titan Souls proves simple LD games can have a future.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:29:38 AM »

Simple but addicting, love how the character can be so dynamic beside the slowness when walking ( good feeling on the sword heaviness ). Lovely parallax

Would love to play it as a full game.

(was a bit disturbed by the fact that the trees on the front makes it hard to read the text)
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:59:13 AM »

Simple but addicting, love how the character can be so dynamic beside the slowness when walking ( good feeling on the sword heaviness ). Lovely parallax

Would love to play it as a full game.

(was a bit disturbed by the fact that the trees on the front makes it hard to read the text)

Yeah I should probably make a proper tutorial for the game to begin with - that text was just because the deadline was in an hour and I hadn't slept for much too long. I messed up with the layers, but it's only placeholder really.

The mechanic of changing shape actually came out of the fact that I wanted her to move really slow with the sword, but it wasn't that fun just dragging a heavy sword around all of the time!

I definitely want to expand it and turn it into a full game - there's plenty of directions I could go with it, but I'm not sure which to try. Maybe I'll just try all of the things.

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »

I love the colour draining mechanic, very cool indeed! Also that pixelart  Addicted

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:40:06 PM »

Just amazing
jolene
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 10:56:28 PM »

thought this was gonna be related to fable the journey
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 11:20:49 PM »

looks lovely, especially the color rich contrasts and dat billowing red hair. Id def say it was worth the time. I hope to see more!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 11:28:10 PM »

I love it too, you definitely need to do something with it!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 12:32:22 AM »

Mable Mabel:

Great art. Hand Thumbs Up Right

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 02:57:15 AM »

Hey, thanks everyone!

thought this was gonna be related to fable the journey

I thought the name sounded familiar. I think I'd lost it by the time I had to come up with a name - any better ideas are welcome.

Thinking about what to do with it. I love Metroidvanias, but there's a lot out there. Maybe something more like Super Ghouls and Ghosts might work? Maybe something more puzzle-platformery? Maybe Legend of The Mystical Ninja (this was my fav game back in the day) meets Fable, since I kinda stole the name  Tongue

EDIT: There's also now a Mac build on itch.io at the same link above! Big thanks to @8BitWarrior on twitter for sorting that out Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 02:58:26 AM »

I think everyone knows at this point that if it were up to me I'd scrap the combat entirely and just focus on that puzzle platforming you mentioned. Roll Eyes

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 03:01:57 AM »

I think everyone knows at this point that if it were up to me I'd scrap the combat entirely and just focus on that puzzle platforming you mentioned. Roll Eyes

So that's 1 vote for puzzle platformer and 1 vote for LegendOfTheMysticalNinjaLike (which would be my vote) Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 03:09:22 AM »

... Shouldn't your own vote as the developer who has to make this be all that matters? Who, Me?

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 04:14:56 AM »

Hmmm, I suppose you do have a point there. I think I'm just too indecisive.

Maybe I'll just have a puzzle platformer mode for people who don't like all the fighting haha

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 04:44:53 AM »

It's a unique fight mechanic. It definitely should be a part of the game. There's enough puzzle platformers out there, I'd focus on the mechanic you have.

On a 2nd (or is it 3rd?) viewing of the GIF. I think you need an extra layer to the parallax and use the current foreground trees as background. The current foreground has way too many trees. You lose sight of the player a lot (and where you placed your sword) and even in the GIF you're robbed of seeing the full kill because of a tree. I would make the foreground trees a bit larger but much fewer and farther between. Some sporadic foreground assets could add a lot to the atmosphere of the game, but as-is they eat up way too much of the available viewing area.

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 06:46:20 AM »

This is awesome!

I like the fighting mechanics, it's unique and fast paced but I think that this can definitely turn into a level based platformer. Perhaps you can combine the two into a jumping mechanic?

On top of your normal jump, if you call the sword back to you and time your jump well when it just connects it could launch you into a super jump? Would make for interesting, reaction based, platforming. Each level could be a small arena (think: Super Meatboy), with the objective being to reach the exit in a limited time. Killing enemies grants higher star rating which unlocks levels etc. - the usual stuff.

Anyway, either way you take it I think it'll be cooool.
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 08:00:15 AM »

@Osteel - Oh yeah I do love Super Meat Boy, I really want to build something that feels like an adventure though. I'm starting to swing more towards Ghouls and Ghosts but with some kind of hub in between the levels.

To be fair, I'll probably try a few things out as it's pretty easy to prototype stuff in GameMaker, so I'll give the arena thing a try anyway!

@oldblood - you're spot on with the trees. Definitely needs to be less in front and more behind as well as more foreground objects to add interest. I'll probably add in some wildlife fleeing from the evil beast creature things at some point too

Fat Bard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 06:39:26 AM »

There's a lot of potential for the mechanic. I dig the idea of somehow having an ability that propels you from the sword coming back at you. Something that allows a bit more mobility. Another thing you could try is when you fall down after recalling the sword and turn back to your normal form the player could hold the sword facing downward and strike the ground  as an attack, maybe pushing back foes near them, and doing big damage if you land on top of a baddie.

Another thought that might get complicated to code is having multiple ways the sword comes back to you. For example, holding a diff key makes a zig zap line appear between you and the sword. Or holding a diff button makes the sword split in two, slice sideways from its position, then come back to you and combine back together. You could make enemies that require these sword recalls to defeat, or at least defeat a bit easier. OR you could use the mouse, and while you hold click down and turn into a fairy, you could move the mouse left and right to bend the angle instead of it being straight.

All just food for thought. Much easier to critique and come up with crazy ideas than to actually implement I know Smiley.

Fat Bard - We make memorable music and sound FX
http://www.fatbard.com
solkar
Level 0

One chili to bind them into hotness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 06:46:10 AM »

When I was able to advance for a while I began to wonder when I was going to meet the stage boss, so I guess my vote goes for the fighting mechanics.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic