Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:10:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIndie Dev Visibility
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Dev Visibility  (Read 1800 times)
Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2015, 12:10:10 PM »

Hi,
 I'm an indie dev, i'm working on a game for Windows and iOS both mobile and desktop, for nearly more than 8 months. In 3 weeks time i'm planning to release. I already have a webpage and also im sharing my work in fb indie pages. Apart from that what would be the best place to share my work to get more visibility, since the visibility is very less so far as per the analytics. Its not a free game though, and it doesn't piss the players with in app purchases and ads. Pay once and play till the end of updates kinda game. This is my first indie game, so if required i can postpone my release as i'm the only one reponsible for the product. But i need more visibility first before going on deciding further.

All helps are highly appreciated!!!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:16:57 PM by Sigma » Logged

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 04:41:59 PM »

This might sound rude, but the fact that you didn't even link to your website or game in this post and have no links to either in your profile or signature on this website doesn't give me a lot of confidence in your marketing ability.

A presence on social media is pretty important. I assume from sharing your work on facebook that maybe you have a facebook page for your game. I generally prefer twitter. Which is more important/effective is debatable. However, just like no link to your website or game, you have no link to your social media accounts.

Do you have a trailer for your game?

It's hard to advise you when little to no information is given.

Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »

I like to look at dev logs as part of the marketing. There is a subsection to this forum strictly for them. I know you mentioned you have three weeks until release; maybe posting the last 3 weeks of work on there can help? It would be better than nothing.

I also agree with cynicalsandel. You should link to any marketing materials you have about your game; whether it's the website, Facebook page, or Twitter account. We are at a point in time where the technology is very accessible so just about anyone can make an indie game. What is going to separate the ones who succeed from the ones who don't is  both the quality of the game and the marketing itself. Marketing can no longer be ignored.

- Alexis

Paragonyx.com | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr |
Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 08:34:37 PM »

I like to look at dev logs as part of the marketing. There is a subsection to this forum strictly for them. I know you mentioned you have three weeks until release; maybe posting the last 3 weeks of work on there can help? It would be better than nothing.

I also agree with cynicalsandel. You should link to any marketing materials you have about your game; whether it's the website, Facebook page, or Twitter account. We are at a point in time where the technology is very accessible so just about anyone can make an indie game. What is going to separate the ones who succeed from the ones who don't is  both the quality of the game and the marketing itself. Marketing can no longer be ignored.

- Alexis

Paragonyx.com | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr |
This might sound rude, but the fact that you didn't even link to your website or game in this post and have no links to either in your profile or signature on this website doesn't give me a lot of confidence in your marketing ability.

A presence on social media is pretty important. I assume from sharing your work on facebook that maybe you have a facebook page for your game. I generally prefer twitter. Which is more important/effective is debatable. However, just like no link to your website or game, you have no link to your social media accounts.

Do you have a trailer for your game?

It's hard to advise you when little to no information is given.

sorry for not adding, its not a trailer. Here is the link

www.sillyatomgames.com

I only share links like this on fb groups, dont have fb page even. Would like to know how to proceed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:03:10 PM by Sigma » Logged

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 03:30:53 AM »

video without sound= huge turnoff, people won't watch it till the end.

Talk about your game less like a robot, it seems you don't even like your own game.
Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 04:56:23 AM »

video without sound= huge turnoff, people won't watch it till the end.

Talk about your game less like a robot, it seems you don't even like your own game.

i will update soon since the audio is not ready yet. Thanks for ur comment

Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 04:57:10 AM »

To be frank, I can't see why anybody would purchase your game over the thousands of better looking games (most of which are free).

may i know what exactly turns you off? is the gameplay or its look?

MakeItUpAsIGo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 07:20:45 AM »

The Pros: It looks like it could be a fun little game to distract myself for a few minutes by trying to hit as many balls as possible.

The Cons: This is more of a game that I would download if I was just scrolling through the app store and it was free.  Nothing necessarily pops out as a MUST BUY.

If you can I'd save invest a little bit more time into making it "pop" and don't be discouraged if it doesn't gather the attention you want, you should be proud of what you accomplish and learn from it, that itself is worth its weight in monetary or social satisfaction.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 08:27:31 AM »

Visually not appealing to be honest. It looks like you took graphic assets, nothing original really.
Who is the little boy riding the spaceship? i see no relation between the gameplay and the hero.

the Market is overflowed by free games that are superior to anything you have in your game unfortunately. And that's something you need to consider when making the game.

It's your first indie game so i suppose you've learn a lot of thing in the process and that's the most important part here.

But who knows, maybe the gameplay is really addictive...
Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »

Who is the little boy riding the spaceship? i see no relation between the gameplay and the hero.
The character has a link with the story.

Visually not appealing to be honest. It looks like you took graphic assets, nothing original really.
I didn't really understand what u mean by "nothing original really".

Another clip with more levels.

www.sillyatomgames.com

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »

I don't understand how you can't understand... just take a look at all the little projects existing in the app store. It's nothing really original for a not free game.
I can't imagine people buying this especially now, the market is oversaturated.

The character has a link with the story.
If you need to say it then something is wrong ... 

The new video looks cooler, i would play it like a few minutes, but i can't see why i'd pay for it.

It seems that the way it goes , it's more of a gamble. Weird Odds, everyone start playing it and it gets famous, why not...
Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 10:07:59 AM »

It seems that the way it goes , it's more of a gamble. Weird Odds, everyone start playing it and it gets famous, why not...

ok thanks for your comment. I will consider. The only reason i want to put this as paid app is i want something out of it for the next game to move on. Apart from that i don't really like the idea of adding Ads or annoying the players with IAP. Anyway thank you for the feedback.

Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »

The topic has been changed apparently, apart from social networking sites what would be the best place you guys consider for promoting your indie games?

www.sillyatomgames.com

Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »

The topic has been changed apparently, apart from social networking sites what would be the best place you guys consider for promoting your indie games?

www.sillyatomgames.com

Consider reaching out to small to medium websites that cover indie games. I believe you can drop a suggestion to the guys over at indiegames.com.

However, if you're gonna reach out, make sure that what you have is enticing enough. I have yet to look at your game but judging by the comments, maybe you want to address whatever issues there are?

Marketing becomes much easier when the product/service can sell on its own.
Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 08:38:34 PM »

Thank u, i'm tuning it more as per comments and suggestions. Please have a look and give me your opinions and suggestions.

xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »

To increase our visibility, i was thinking of starting a page on Square Enix's indie collective page .. has anyone used this before? Any experiences to share about the process?

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 07:13:14 PM »

If you're launching in 3 weeks then I'd also look at:
- Reaching out to Press, youtubers, twichers, etc..
- Start building up your social media
- Have a great trailer going

Depends on where you're launching too - you'll need to make sure your store front presentation looks nice.

Attila0413
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 04:05:02 PM »

I'd say three weeks before release is pretty late to start working on marketing. Ideally you would build up info about the game, trailers, screenshots etc months prior to the release. Also going to festivals, conferences, etc to show your game helps a lot if you're serious about working indie.

At this point, your best bet would be to improve your trailer, send it to the press and hope someone will find it interesting and write about it. Also, improve your website, your homepage is basically empty.

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 07:15:45 PM »

It's never too late to start Smiley

In fact 3 weeks is enough time to go through the Pixel Prospector's big youtuber list for one thing.  But admittedly, before that you'll need to have at least some kind of trailer, nice screenshots, presskit etc otherwise you'll be dismissed almost everytime.

Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »

thank u guys for the comments and suggestions, i will update the site first and then i will concentrate on the trailer.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic