Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:59:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingInterSection - platforming on intersecting 2d worlds
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: InterSection - platforming on intersecting 2d worlds  (Read 2566 times)
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2015, 07:05:34 PM »

Looking for feedback

you can download it here:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/intersection

these are some gifs:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:44:46 PM by Miziziziz » Logged

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:10:41 PM »

-I think mouse control could potentially bring up too many issues with which direction is "forward". The way it is now works well.

-I like the atmospheric background "music".

-I found it unclear what the hovering cubes actually were at first. I thought they were exits because when I touched one in the first level, it ended. I guess I "solved" the level by accident and didn't realize how I'd done it.

-My movement through the level doesn't feel important, since all that actually matters is the cubes. I realize that I actually do need to move around, but the perception is that my character's position doesn't have as much value as in most games. I guess it's fine, but I personally felt like it wasn't as enjoyable because of this.

-I found myself craving a more puzzle-like experience. This style of camera didn't feel well-suited to tricky jumping.

-When I die, I often die a second time right away because the level restarts without clearing my keyboard input so I walk right into danger again.

-I like the art style, although long rows of those dangerous blocks don't look so nice. For the most part, it looks good and the character is animated quite well.

-Jumping is really, really floaty. I wasn't a fan of having such weak gravity, but I guess it helps with some jumping. Maybe. I think the floatiness might actually have thrown me off more than it helped. It was so unnatural that I found I had trouble predicting how far I would fall in a given time when making tricky jumps.

-I found the level with a long row of danger blocks (the second or third level containing them) really annoying. I kept wanting a better view. An overhead camera option might've solved my problem. Another thing that may have helped would've been to require me to only move one direction (ex. out at an angle), not out and then back again. As someone just getting used to the controls, I found that action really tricky to pull off, especially with the camera angles available. Then again, maybe I was just missing something.

I stopped playing at that level after restarting it quite a few times. It just wasn't fun and dying near the end only to have to go through those annoying jumps again just destroyed any interest I had in the game. It's too bad, because until that point I liked it more than I expected to. I guess I was hoping for it to be more about figuring things out rather than jumping at weird angles while moving the ground. It also came pretty suddenly. The early levels were incredibly easy and then suddenly there was that level. Still, for people who can manage it, I think this is probably a pretty good game.

I didn't have any technical issues with the 64-bit version in Windows 7.

Having never really looked into IndieCade, I can't really say if it's worth submitting your game. Maybe. If you don't have money, though, it seems like a gamble and there are probably a lot of other, free ways that you could gain players/recognition.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 07:53:28 AM »

oh man thank you so much! This is just what I needed Smiley. I'll address these issues and upload new versions in a day or so

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 04:07:03 PM »

New version up. Mostly fixed mechanic stuff and haven't worked on level design at all.

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 04:45:45 PM »

Big update, added a ton of new levels, fixed a lot of issues, and added some story elements in-game

lingoded
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »

A cool game Grin And I really liked the athmospheric tranquil mood that the game achieves!

I found a bug in the fourth level, when I am jumping up, I go through the block on top of me.  Gomez

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 12:53:09 PM »

oh thanks for the info! I'll  check it out straight away

lbrande
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 12:32:43 AM »

This game is just awesome! Keep up the good work!
Vitalius Sch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »

Great game!

I think the tips would look more profitable if they show as GUI.
I need to rotate the camera to read them.  Blink

Good luck!

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 09:16:58 AM »

Thanks!

Great game!

I think the tips would look more profitable if they show as GUI.
I need to rotate the camera to read them.  Blink

Good luck!

which tips? you mean the pop-ups that appear as you walk by? those have no relation to mechanics, they're only there as story blurbs and are part of the dead worlds environment.

Vitalius Sch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 02:15:42 AM »

which tips? you mean the pop-ups that appear as you walk by?

yeah, they are hard to read

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »

alright, thanks for letting me know.
Someone else suggested I darken the background on those popups as well, so I'll get on implementing that.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic