Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:30:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioClassical music for a Castlevania-type platformer?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Classical music for a Castlevania-type platformer?  (Read 906 times)
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2015, 08:58:06 PM »

Hello!

I recently got commissioned to make the soundtrack for a small project, and they haven't given me any concept art/music direction yet (it's still very early on the table), and I was thinking of recreating MIDI for some really old 17th century pieces!

was the inspiration for the idea. I've recreated two pieces so far (if you'd like to hear them), but for now I was just curious what you guys thought of the idea? Have you heard of games doing this before? Which ones? I thought of the gothic style of Castlevania, and how they use Organ and stuff, but I haven't heard of people re-creating classical music for videogames! Thanks.

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 05:33:11 AM »

Sounds like a fun project to do! To my knowledge, the harpsichord isn't used very often in video game music, so this could be very refreshing. Some things to look out for:

- merely recreating the pieces in MIDI may cause your client to feel cheated on. If you're going to simply recreate the pieces, the client might as well have just bought a cd with Frescobaldi recordings and imported whatever was on there. Unless, of course, you plan to make your recreations interactive/dynamic. Another way out is to twist the original pieces to something that shows your own approach to composition, so the music is inspired but not quite made by the 17th century masters.
- you may want to consider waiting for musical direction from the project director before you put too much work in an idea that turns out to be rejected. (Although it would still be great practice in composition! (; )

Good luck and let us know how you fare! :D

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:26:25 AM »

There are some games that use classical music directly as ost.

Some examples:

Peggle:

Bombsquad:

Mario Bros (arcade):
https://youtu.be/ly8DofqCuOs?t=33s

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic