Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:43:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames about "travel"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Games about "travel"  (Read 1263 times)
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2015, 02:11:02 AM »

Full disclosure, this is based on a recent /truegaming/ thread that I found interesting. There was a discussion about how the idea of "travel" is rarely explored as a central theme of a video game. We have many games about surviving in the wilderness, but few games do that while also giving you purpose to reach a certain destination. FTL is one that comes to mind. An older example (that I haven't played myself) is Oregon Trail.

Can you name any good video games that convey a sense of traveling somewhere?

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 02:18:09 AM »

welp, many rpgs use a sort of "journey" theme. if you think about traditional jrpgs for instance, they usually involve travelling from town to town via a world map and also gaining access to new means of transportation (the famous FF airships) that allow you to reach new places on the map.

also i guess the game "journey" is about a journey Tongue

both of these don't really fit the criteria of the reddit OP though. there's some oregon trail-likes such as "out there" (oregon trail in spehssss!!) and "organ trail" (oregon trail with zombies). but other than that i got nothing.

EDIT: i guess the entire space sim genre (elite, X, freespace etc) is basically about travel?

EDIT2: also euro truck simulator which shares many mechanics with space sims
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:24:46 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 02:30:03 AM »

EarthBound. You could also say quite a few RPGs has a sense of travel, but EarthBound specifically feels like you're going from place to place because the settings are so familiar. Like at first it's your neighborhood, then your town and suddenly you're in the next City and exploring beyond it into the country side to find Happy Happy Village. You've got a desert with traffic, the main city by way of bus. Then you go to some more exotic places like Scaraba or Deep Darkness.

All at the same time you're traveling to collect the eight melodies and find where they might all be at. In fact the sense of traveling is communicated better because you really don't know where you're headed until you're really there. You just explore the scenery and chat with the locals or have a few fights until you get the right info or intuition to find the melody.

Now would I say traveling is the center theme of the game? In some way, yes. The game is about exploring and coming to terms with the world. Everything seems light-hearted but there's a sense of darkness or uncertainty about becoming mature. The game is about Ness/ you the player finding their place in the world. And this theme is brought back 100 fold when you get to the Sea of Eden, beat your evil self and then gain ultimate power by remembering all the places you had TRAVELED TO and the experiences that were bundled with them.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 03:15:59 AM »

Starbound is maybe the closest I have. You land on a planet and build a base/explore minecraft style, but eventually you juice up your spaceship enough that you can leave for the next planet and repeat the process. You can upgrade your ship a little and store some items on it, but frequently you just have to leave behind your outposts when you move on. Or at least, that's what I understand. I didn't enjoy it enough to keep playing it that long.

I'm playing Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One and aside from the first level all the rest of the game is linked with natural transitions. A factory opens up into cliffs, which moves into a dense forest, then you descend into a cavern and so on. At one point you even fly a rocket, navigate an asteroid field, and land on the moon without the game cutting away, which I really liked. It's a big change from the rest of the series where the levels are a sequence of planets connected cut-away flight sequences. I really like games that take the time to create and show the connections between the levels rather than abruptly changing tile sets on the map screen.

Half Life 2 did mostly the same thing, especially in Episode 2 which had a lot of cross-country travel.

I also really liked Final Fantasy Legend 1 & 2 where you had to climb the big tower and kept discovering new mysterious worlds on each floor. I enjoyed that more than wandering around a world map in a lot of ways.

Toejam and Earl? They had to survive as they climbed to the highest levels of Earth for their rocket parts. Maybe a game like Shining in the Darkness where you gradually worked your way to the bottom of a single huge dungeon?

A game where you set up a portable base (like a wagon or a trailer) and travel across the world could be fun, though I'd want to ditch the survival aspects and hype up the exploration aspects a la Journey. The fun of traveling is seeing new people and places, while the Oregon Trail felt mostly the same throughout (mechanically, it could have just been about you staying in one place and surviving and been the same game). Journeying wasn't the theme so much as survival.
JWK5
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 03:51:43 AM »

With the Elder Scrolls/Fallout games you can kind of get that if you apply the various mods that make you require food and water, sleep, warmth, etc. There was some pretty impressive Neverwinter Nights mods that were similar as well.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 05:20:31 AM »

80 Days is an awesome game about travel. Probably the best I've played. Curious Expedition, which should come out soon, also comes to mind.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 07:19:55 AM »

the last of us

Shenanigans
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 02:39:03 PM »

Check out The Organ Trail. No, I'm not misspelling that. It's a zombie game done in the style of the Oregon Trail. You can play the free Flash version here: http://hatsproductions.com/organtrail.html

I could say something profound here. Or not.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 07:30:49 PM »

flight simulator

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »

Full disclosure, this is based on a recent /truegaming/ thread that I found interesting. There was a discussion about how the idea of "travel" is rarely explored as a central theme of a video game. We have many games about surviving in the wilderness, but few games do that while also giving you purpose to reach a certain destination. FTL is one that comes to mind. An older example (that I haven't played myself) is Oregon Trail.

Can you name any good video games that convey a sense of traveling somewhere?

final fantasy X was all about travel actually, the game was one big journey and you seldom revisited old areas until the very end when you got an airship, but for like 99% of the game it was 'go north!' from one island to the next

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 09:14:59 PM »

In Wind Waker you have to sail everywhere.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »

Heart of Africa

You explore 18-somethings Africa and try to find a pharaos grave (that's randomly placed somewhere on the continent). You can walk about, travel by canoe or use a ship passage.

Not being cautious gets you drying in the desert or stuck in a swamp desperately looking for human signs.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 04:30:43 AM »

Skyrim with the Realistic Needs and Frostfall mods is an amazing fantasy world simulator. You have to be the hero and all, but you also have to survive just like the hero would. It turns the journey going to quests just as interesting as the quests.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 04:30:03 AM »

Flippin' Minecraft was half about traveling to different places, but then again the primary focus was mining resources in order to fuel the building aspect of the game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic