Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:00:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall[Ludum Dare] Hardwired - Controller beats all
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Ludum Dare] Hardwired - Controller beats all  (Read 402 times)
Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2015, 03:05:11 AM »

HARDWIRED - Controller Beats All

First game I've made with a group of people, and considering it was the first time most of them made a game, I'm generally happy with how it turned out. The 72-hour time limit ended up being the most stressful on me, since, as the only programmer, I had to build an AI system from the ground up, with pathfinding.

I have never even touched pathfinding before, so as stressful as it was, it was a fantastic experience to develop.

The major issues were from the tile editor we used- Tiled. The program itself is definitely nice. No complaints there. But in porting the resulting .tmx file to Unity, it places all same tiles in the same mesh, meaning for a top-down game, I can't just use Z-layering. So I did the best I could to layer things properly, using a shoddy hit-detection system. The other issue was that the collision data of the map ended up skewed in-game, resulting in odd areas where NPCs could get stuck. The only way around this would have been if I personally went through and touched up every polygon...

But the massive setback was that it took TWO AND A HALF HOURS to import the .obj from the map, containing the meshes. So every time we updated it, that's nearly three hours of programming I miss out on.

BUT despite all of these hazards along the way, I'd say it's a decent product, nonetheless. More information about the game, and screenshots, are included on the LD page.

Check out my devlog!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic