Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:24:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBomb Your House (Grafitti game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bomb Your House (Grafitti game)  (Read 2423 times)
rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »

Bomb Your House!

This game started off as a Ludum Dare entry, for the theme "Unconventional Weapon".
The concept is that you can draw on anything in the house with a permanent marker in order
to prevent the house from being sold. I really love the idea and I want to make a full
release of it! That is why this devlog was made!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:01:17 AM by rohtie » Logged

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »

What's next?
There is still quite a lot to do until the game is finished. Mainly lacking in content, as I feel the
gameplay is pretty solid already, though it obviously has polishing potential.

Content
I want to make the whole house available for drawing. This means creating lots of 3D assets,
which will be alot of fun! Gomez

I need some music! I'll try making some myself, but if it turns out to be hard, I will pay my
friend to do it.

Narration to the intro is a must. I know a guy which I will pay for it.

Gameplay
I want to improve the controls. Currently the controls are awkward for mouse users. But if you use
a drawing tablet, it isn't really an issue.

There are some bugs I want to iron out with the drawing mechanic. The main one being glitchy
strokes when drawing on UV seams. The reason this happens is that I currently interpolate on
UV coordinates without taking the UV seams into account. I also want to find out if it is possible
to interpolate between objects, so that the stroke is completely continuous. As it currently jumps
a little bit when switching objects.

Multiplayer could be very fun! So I am definitely looking into that.

I want to experiment further on what can be done with the concept. Test out different types of
drawing tools. Add the possibility of selecting different sized markers. Check if it is cool with
different colors.

Story
I want to give more depth to the story. Right now it is pretty short, but works really well for
the current size of the game. If adding more story feels forced, I will not do it. However I
will try developing it and see how it goes.

When will I be working on it?
I will work on this every once in a while. Most likely on weekends Cool
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:47:01 AM by rohtie » Logged

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 03:52:27 AM »

Wohoo! My first update to Bomb Your House is ready!

For this update I have mostly focused on controls and underlying technicalities
to improve the game experience. Here are some of the stuff I have fixed:

• Stroke is now continuous over several objects
  • Fixed interpolation glitch when drawing on UV seams
  • Significantly improved the controls for mouse users
  • Added Zen mode (alternative controls which some may prefer)
  • Made the bathroom slightly bigger and less claustrophobic
  • Improved UV maps on all models
  • Tweaked edge smoothness on all models
  • Tweaked some textures
  • Added atmospheric sound

The results for Ludum Dare entries are in!  Gomez

I am very happy for the results I got. It definitely motivates me to continue working on this project.

#36Innovation(Jam)4.06
#52Humor(Jam)3.95
#187Fun(Jam)3.55
#306Mood(Jam)3.36
#323Overall(Jam)3.44
#334Theme(Jam)3.63
#385Graphics(Jam)3.56
#605Audio(Jam)2.31
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:37:20 PM by rohtie » Logged

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 06:31:08 AM »

yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! A new update Gomez

What has happened since last update?
I have been doing lots of research on stroke smoothing, but I do not have a good solution yet. I am thinking about using de casteljau for every three frames, but that might feel a bit sluggish to the player. So I will hold on a bit further. But stroke smoothing will probably be incorporated sometime along the way.

I have also been researching a bit about unity multiplayer plugins. I am not sure if I want to use a cloud service such as Photon, because it limits the game's life span. So I will probably go for a self-hosted type of multiplayer. So that if you want to play with friends, you host the game yourself.

What is included in the update?
I have added more bathroom objects: Toothbrush, cup, toilet paper, hand soap.
I have added zoom functionality. So when pressing Z, the field of view of the camera is changed. So that it is easier to draw details.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:30:59 PM by rohtie » Logged

EnragedCoder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:25:18 PM »

Awesome stuff! And strangely therapeutic Smiley

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 11:21:27 PM »

Awesome stuff! And strangely therapeutic Smiley
Thank you! For the upcoming update I am working on full drawing tablet support. So that one can rotate the camera using the tablet. Which for me is th best way to play!

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 11:44:38 PM »

Is it a freeform experience where the player set their own goals or is there any lose or winning conditions? I think it's an idea that satisfies my most childish side (we usually draw exquisite corpse drawings during our breaks in the studio). But it would be interesting if there exists a framework around what we're trying to achieve, though with all games about creativity its hard for the computer to keep up and interpret what you do since it's stoopid.  Wink

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 02:30:28 AM »

Is it a freeform experience where the player set their own goals or is there any lose or winning conditions? I think it's an idea that satisfies my most childish side (we usually draw exquisite corpse drawings during our breaks in the studio). But it would be interesting if there exists a framework around what we're trying to achieve, though with all games about creativity its hard for the computer to keep up and interpret what you do since it's stoopid.  Wink

Cool, I had no idea it was called "exquisite corpse". I like to do it occasionally as well!

The initial goal is freedom and collaboration. I want it to be a relaxing and fun experience which can be shared with friends if desired.

Yup, computers do not understand creativity :D
However, this can be gamified and I will probably add it as a separate mode later on. For example one could get scores based on how much ink that has been used or how many objects one has vandalized. There could also be a stealth aspect to it, where you have to avoid being seen by potential buyers. This could also work as a sort of mission based thing with a time constraint (though I don't think time contstraints encourage creativity).

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 03:23:33 AM »

You should remake

with your game ^^
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 03:47:25 AM »

However, this can be gamified

I highly advice that you do, if you want to make it more than an interactive experience. It doesn't need to be more of course, but I think with a few game mechanics it can take the experience even further.

Supposing you will make a multiplayer portion I think it would be interesting to have a mechanic where you have to cover ground in order to win, comparable to Splatoon. I mean, I think that you can be expressive even if you gamify it. I enjoy playing around with the gels in Portal 2 singleplayer, especially in the few areas where you can do more of a freeform solution. Even in city management games I tend to build visually pleasing areas even if it's not always needed. And I think why I enjoy it so much is that there are rules attached, rules give creativity context, and meaning.

There was a student project (can't remember the name) done in UDK a few years back where you ran around on a canvas and shot different blobs of colour to paint a picture. Perhaps limiting the resource, the ink is also an option.

You should remake

with your game ^^

That would be a wonderful paraphrase if it was used as inspiration for a trailer for the game. Smiley

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 11:21:07 AM »

However, this can be gamified

I highly advice that you do, if you want to make it more than an interactive experience. It doesn't need to be more of course, but I think with a few game mechanics it can take the experience even further.

Supposing you will make a multiplayer portion I think it would be interesting to have a mechanic where you have to cover ground in order to win, comparable to Splatoon. I mean, I think that you can be expressive even if you gamify it. I enjoy playing around with the gels in Portal 2 singleplayer, especially in the few areas where you can do more of a freeform solution. Even in city management games I tend to build visually pleasing areas even if it's not always needed. And I think why I enjoy it so much is that there are rules attached, rules give creativity context, and meaning.
If you were to play this kind of mode, what strategy would you have used to cover the most ground? How do you think the teams would work together?

You should remake

with your game ^^

That would be a wonderful paraphrase if it was used as inspiration for a trailer for the game. Smiley

Haha, that's an amazing idea! I totally forgot about that video, I'll definitely let myself be inspired by this Gomez

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 01:37:56 AM »

If you were to play this kind of mode, what strategy would you have used to cover the most ground? How do you think the teams would work together?

I guess there would be the risk of acting like in Splatoon, just splashing all over the place. And that would be counterintuitive, right? To be honest, I've no good suggestion for combining drawing and covering ground. You'd have to have some kind mechanic that encourages people to draw something else than a blob. I mean, you want it to be drawings, right? Not just paint all over.

But perhaps Dexter's Laboratory could be a good inspiration for the tagging in itself.

Quote from: Dexter's Laboratory "Labels" Episode Summary
Dee Dee starts to take anything that belongs to Dexter, claiming that it "doesn't have his name on it." He invents a label-making gun to make sure his things do.

Perhaps you could tag things as yours, and perhaps you could untag areas as well.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:51:45 AM by Greipur » Logged

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 02:17:37 PM »

Dee Dee starts to take anything that belongs to Dexter, claiming that it "doesn't have his name on it." He invents a label-making gun to make sure his things do.

Perhaps you could tag things as yours, and perhaps you could untag areas as well.

I really think that something inspired by that Dexter episode could be turned into a fun multiplayer, but I think that is an entirely different game, which could be in a similar fashion to the tag game mode in Tony hawks pro skater.

I have an idea of a competitive multiplayer which I am pretty sure will encourage creativity:
The players are separated into three teams. Two of the teams are competing. The third team collectively decides the theme of the round and will judge the other teams when the round is over. The winning team will then become the judging team. To prevent boring waiting sessions, the judging team will still be able to play the game in the same area as the other teams. This will make the game more interesting for everyone, as the players on the other teams can get inspired by the team that is not influenced by competitive pressure.

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 01:08:52 AM »

I really think that something inspired by that Dexter episode could be turned into a fun multiplayer, but I think that is an entirely different game, which could be in a similar fashion to the tag game mode in Tony hawks pro skater.

I have an idea of a competitive multiplayer which I am pretty sure will encourage creativity:
The players are separated into three teams. Two of the teams are competing. The third team collectively decides the theme of the round and will judge the other teams when the round is over. The winning team will then become the judging team. To prevent boring waiting sessions, the judging team will still be able to play the game in the same area as the other teams. This will make the game more interesting for everyone, as the players on the other teams can get inspired by the team that is not influenced by competitive pressure.

That's an interesting idea, that you focus on social interaction, and the only implemented rules you'd need would be a voting process.

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 08:34:06 AM »

That's an interesting idea, that you focus on social interaction, and the only implemented rules you'd need would be a voting process.

Thanks! I believe that by giving players the power to control the game, more variety will arise and it will generally become a more enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »

It is time for another update!!

What is new and exciting?
It is now fully possible to play the game using a drawing tablet!
Right clicking with your wacom (or similar) pen will now adjust the camera angle. This was not possible before due to Unity not generating mouse axis data for drawing tablets. I fixed this by calculating the mouse accelaration delta based on the position of the pen. This feature has been very high on my priority list, so I am very excited to share it with you Gomez
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:31:41 PM by rohtie » Logged

dorobo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 06:21:31 AM »

Cool idea  Ninja

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 03:16:10 PM »

Wow! It has been over a year since my last update! But fear not, I am still working on this game Gomez

Whats up?

• I have fixed a lot of minor bugs with the drawing algorithm.
  • I have added a lot of new models
    • Chairs
    • Dining table
    • Sofa
    • Cupboard
    • Stove
    • Windows
    • Mac with mouse and keyboard

Fun fact: Most of the models I make are based on my own furniture Smiley
I do however not own any apple products, I just thought it would be fun to draw on  Cheesy

Why have you not updated in over a year?
There are multiple reasons as to why I haven't worked a lot on this game.

The main one being that I got accepted into Oslo National Academy of the Arts on the Graphic design and Illustration bachelor, and thus spending a lot of time on study related stuff. The reason I decided to study there is because they are very good at teaching concept development and idea generation. Both of which are super relevant to game design. I already have a bachelor degree in programming from the university in Oslo, so in a sense I am creating my own game design study plan. I also quit my full time job in web development.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:01:26 AM by rohtie » Logged

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 03:25:54 PM »

Finally one of my most wanted features are implemented in the game! COLORS!!!! Gomez

Did you say colors?

Yep! And it is amazing! Here are some screenshoots of the feature:

Also here is a timelapse video of me playing the game (orginal length: 30 min):

rohtie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 08:06:17 AM »

Time for another update!

Today I made some bottles to have on top of my cabinet  Gomez

Bottles?
A variety of bottles with a variety of liquids  Cool

Since I am not going for a realistic style, I am trying to just capture the essence of the bottles. My idea was that the generic shape and scribbles will be enough to be recognizable if the bottle has been seen before.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic