Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411480 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58425 Members - Latest Member: solpreston

April 23, 2024, 09:16:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMy Dear Pencil - Ludum Dare Entry That Needs Your Feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My Dear Pencil - Ludum Dare Entry That Needs Your Feedback  (Read 497 times)
Dorgam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »

Hello,

I have participated in the last Ludum Dare and it was so much fun this time. And I made a fun game called: My Dear Pencil.
The game is a puzzle platformer that uses a unique mechanics along with jumping in order for the player to pass the level.
The player has a pencil and he faces sketchy monsters. Each monster causes imbalance in the world so each time you erase a monster you make some platform disappear and others appear and using this knowledge of switching active platforms you intend to find the gate to the next level.

I saw acceptance of the idea so I am seriously planning to make a full version of the game. However, I would like to hear more feedback before I start a DevLog here and start working on a full version.

So what do you like about this game?
What do you hate about this game?
How would you fix this thing you hate?
Do you have a suggestion can make the game better?

Feel free to share your opinion and critique, all will be read and taken into account.

Game on Ludum Dare : http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=52637
Dorgam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »

No feedback  Shrug
Anyway, I have added a new version with more fixes
Check the same link above.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:30:41 AM »

I really thought I'd seen feedback here. Weird. Guess not.

-Why does the window say "WayOfTheWepson"?

-I don't think pixels look good if they're made blurry when scaled. There's probably some way to disable that in Unity.

-My character hovers a few pixels above the ground.

-It might be a good idea to either make the light parts of the platforms stand out more, or make them blend more. Right now, they just almost blend with the background and it looks a bit strange.

-The erasing action doesn't look like anything. I expected the eraser to be held downward like on the initial tutorial page, but it isn't. I didn't think the game was working until I jumped on an enemy and it got erased anyway.

-If I run and then turn around, my character slides a while before starting to animate again.

-I don't understand why so many people don't put a "Quit" option in their games. Am I weird for not thinking Alt-F4 feels like a legitimate way to quit programs? (That probably sounded like a short rant, but I'm really just confused by it.)

-Some of the early levels can be skipped almost entirely because the bouncing is so extreme. In one of them it felt all right because it took a bit of timing and precision to skip the level, but in one of the other ones you can basically jump from beginning to end with no trouble at all. That's not necessarily a huge problem, but just something to take into consideration for any levels you might add.

-I didn't like the last level at all. I feel like every level should be possible if a player is observant and plays well, but in that case you can easily hit the ceiling without being able to do anything about it.

It's too bad the last level was annoying, because other than that one I really liked this. It's an interesting concept and was enjoyable to play. The controls were responsive and the sounds/music weren't obnoxious. It was good, and I'd like to see the idea expanded upon with more obstacle/enemy types. I don't have ideas/suggestions for additional gameplay at the moment.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic