Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:17:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCytracia
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cytracia  (Read 1138 times)
Gleade
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2015, 07:27:50 AM »

Cytracia is a 2D top-down multiplayer RPG. The game is centred around a stranger in a foreign world (the player).

Prologue:
Non-natives are referred to as Cytracians and are not so easily accepted by the locals. Cytracians must explore this unknown land and learn everything they can about their surroundings. With this knowledge, they can decide what path to take, how to behave and how to further themselves.

Features:
- Increase your power by defeating the natives found across this huge unknown world, surrounded by mystery.
- Learn new traits, traits can be found from the artefacts left by the native elders. You can even find natives that can teach you traits, willingly or not, you decide.
- Fight different natives: trolls, lizard people and more.
- Earn reputation with different clans within the natives.
- Find powerful items from killing or befriending the natives. Or, stumble upon rare and powerful items locked away hidden.

Online Features
- Play alongside your friends and other players across different servers.
- Characters can be brought over to any server.
- PK (player killing) in most areas.
- Bounties and rewards against dishonourable PKers.

What platforms will Dire be available on?
- Windows (Win7, Win8, Win10)
- Linux
- MacOS

Dev History:

Cytracia as been under development since August 8 2014. The game engine has been written from scratch in C# using SFML.NET.

Who are the developers?

Programmers:
 - Joel Craig (Gleade) - Currently the soul developer of Cytracia.

Screen Shots:

Early mockup

Game Art #1

Game Art #2
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 05:21:26 AM by Gleade » Logged

Find my game Dire on:
Gleade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 12:23:18 AM »

Added a new scripting language called ChaiScript to replace the old scripting language python. I liked using python but found it to be a bit tedious in some areas. ChaiScript was developed in C++ and was made to be embedded into C++ applications, it is perfect for this project. I found it to do everything python could and more.

Dire uses scripts for loading items, maps, GUI and monsters.

Find my game Dire on:
Gleade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 05:53:26 AM »

Today I did a series of tests to impliment the A* pathfinding algorithm. Everything is working and implimented into Dire! Check out the A* test:

P.S a little teaser of one of the mini-bosses in Dire:

Find my game Dire on:
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 08:32:09 AM »

You should TOTALLY look into the Avernum series if you haven't already (V is my favorite, but IV and the others are great too). It's VERY plot-based, and it's stories + side quests are so intriguing. Might be really valuable to check out if you're looking to bring something new to an MMORPG

oafasting
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 08:48:03 AM »

Looking good! Would work on the perspectives, and maybe the palette. As it stands, it looks like you've been using two palettes; one for the world and one for the characters. This is probably not that relevant though, as it looks very early...

I really just wanted to thank you for tipping me off bout chaiscript, any ways Smiley

Currently working on the procedural platformer space sim, named Orion! DEVLOG HERE
Gleade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 03:13:02 AM »

You should TOTALLY look into the Avernum series if you haven't already (V is my favorite, but IV and the others are great too). It's VERY plot-based, and it's stories + side quests are so intriguing. Might be really valuable to check out if you're looking to bring something new to an MMORPG

Thank you for giving me some ideas! I went and purchased a copy of Averum, it looked exactly like it'd give me some great ideas and inspiration.

Looking good! Would work on the perspectives, and maybe the palette. As it stands, it looks like you've been using two palettes; one for the world and one for the characters. This is probably not that relevant though, as it looks very early...

I really just wanted to thank you for tipping me off bout chaiscript, any ways Smiley

Thank you. I have been using two palettes as I had some placeholder tiles made up while we work on the characters Smiley
I'm glad you like the look of chaiscript, it is worth using if you need scripting in any of your projects.

Find my game Dire on:
Gleade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 02:27:06 AM »

Dire is using http://www.mapeditor.org Tiled for map creation. Dire now supports path finding in Tiled maps.

Here is a video showing the path finding:

Find my game Dire on:
Gleade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 07:18:33 PM »

Hello,

It's been over 3 years since my last post. This project is still alive and kicking. I re-wrote the engine in C# (from C++) using SFML.NET (Simple and Fast Multimedia Library .NET binding). A lot of my time has gone into the core of the engine & for the last month, I've started to bring everything together to begin the game creation process. Rapid progress has been achieved.

The multiplayer architecture for Cytracia

I have chosen to have two servers for Cytracia:

• Login server (database)
  • World server (world syncronization - also communicates with the login server for character state loading/saving)

Current Features:
  • Client -> world server synchronization (support for thousands of simultaneous connections)
  • Server authority (server always has the final say)
  • Tile maps & collisions
  • *Free* keyboard movement
  • Character attributes
  • Character gender and hairstyle customization
  • Character equipment customization

Two players synchronized with the world-server.

I have currently been working on getting some simple UI elements up & running. My plan is to start of simple and improve them over time. Once I get these basic UI elements complete, I'll work on a simple login GUI & the communication between the client, login server and world server (note, the client and world server synchronization is already implemented).

Equipment GUI - navigated by keyboard arrows

Inspecting gloves.

Find my game Dire on:
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic