Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:30:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsForgotten Passages - 100 tiny visual levels in 100 days
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Forgotten Passages - 100 tiny visual levels in 100 days  (Read 30063 times)
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »

I'm totally in awe with what I'm seeing here  Shocked just wonderful  Kiss Tears of Joy

26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2015, 05:51:31 PM »

@onebitpunch Thanks! Glad your eyes like what they see.  Who, Me?

+++ LEVEL 80 +++

“If you look for beauty, you will find it.”
26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »

+++ LEVEL 81 +++

26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2015, 05:47:31 PM »

+++ LEVEL 82 +++

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2015, 06:26:08 PM »

This is amazing! Not sure about the character, but I love the environments.

26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2015, 06:42:21 PM »

@eigenbom Ha ha. I AM sure about the character. Glad you like the environments.  Beer!

+++ LEVEL 83 +++

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2015, 08:32:44 PM »

Oh, I really like the cracked mud effect.

I do agree that the main character looks a little simple compared to some of the detailed environments. It's hard to make a good judgement based on the low resolution images being posted, though.
26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2015, 05:54:28 PM »

@SirNiko I might do a little more texturing detail... I might not... Depends on how I feel about the character at the end of the project. The thing is, this is an experiment in minimalism and making things quickly. I could easily spend another year or three polishing up this tiny game, but I am not going to do that. I feel that some polish will be great, but quickly the law of diminishing returns kicks in. So I will do some polish, but not too much. I have many more things I want to make.   

@SnakeCoiler Glad you enjoy the very odd ones. Me too. Although, I think different people think different ones are odd. Sometimes I post my level for the day and don't feel super excited for it, but those ones often bring in the most comments. Thanks for the support. Although I could probably make an endless number of levels a day, I look forward to wrapping up this project and moving onto my next game where I can spend more time concentrating on really polishing an area, and not having to move away from it so quickly.

+++ LEVEL 84 +++

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2015, 08:37:52 PM »

Sorry, I didn't mean the character model wasn't good, just that I felt like it's a lost opportunity to do something more unique. The girl lost in a strange world trope is as old as Alice in Wonderland. But you gotta do what you want, and I agree the mobile phone gives it a little modern twist. In any case, all the best with dev and I look forward to seeing the end result!

26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2015, 05:16:12 PM »

@eigenbom I know what you mean. A lot more could be done with the character. I would love to have this character made high detail, flowing hair, etc. If you know any character modelers that want to help me out with that, send them my way. :D Alice in wonderland is an influence on this, so I am cool with the association :D

+++ LEVEL 85 +++

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2015, 05:46:09 PM »

The choice of model is excellent - the unassuming girl with the smartphone light contrasts beautifully with the whimsical environments. Her model also gives her an ambiguous age, which is good. Talking with a friend a few weeks ago, we hypothesized different explanations for why she'd be wandering in alien worlds. Is she an explorer documenting her trips? Is she wandering through dreams, expecting to wake up at any moment? Did she get lost in the basement on the way to the bathroom, is wandering through bizarre alternate realities in the core of the earth and she's hoping eventually her mother picks up on the phone and gets her? The concept makes it so easy to come up with your own favorite explanation that is a lot more personal than whatever the developer might propose.

I don't think the girl needs flowing hair or anything of the sort, but just some textures. Captain Toad is similar to your game in that it has tiny, effect heavy environments and a simple protagonist, but they make him seem more complicated than he is with a few textures.

https://zelgerath.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/interval_contentsc.png
http://nintendoreview.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Captain-Toad.jpg

The texture on his pants and boots make him seem more involved despite being a couple of solid ovoids with no joints. The addition of the belt and scarf give him detail without adding any complex behaviors as both are solidly affixed to his body.

That's why I say it's hard to tell with the low-res images, because it's hard to tell if the environment is as detailed as it seems, or if the girl is as simple as she seems. A simple cloth texture on her dress, some shine on her hair and one or two little accessories like a phone charm or something in a pocket would go a very long way. Even then, I suspect most people won't notice a difference (I never really thought about it until eigenbom mentioned it). The environments are what's really on display here, not the protagonist.
26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2015, 06:19:13 PM »

@SirNiko Thanks for the awesome feedback. I take it to heart and I appreciate the well thought out explanation. Captain Toad is great. Need to go finish that game : D

It gives me great joy to hear that you were discussing theories behind the girl's adventure. It is the kind of response I hope invoke.

+++ LEVEL 86 +++

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2015, 04:20:41 AM »

@SirNiko Thanks for the awesome feedback. I take it to heart and I appreciate the well thought out explanation. Captain Toad is great. Need to go finish that game : D

It gives me great joy to hear that you were discussing theories behind the girl's adventure. It is the kind of response I hope invoke.

+++ LEVEL 86 +++

Reminds me of Harry Potter this one...

elfeck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2015, 06:24:33 AM »

Although I'm not a fan of Unity this is a showcase of what you can do in Unity with a very limited amount of time.

Really cool themes and ideas!
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2015, 06:59:59 AM »

Only two weeks remain. That makes me sad, I have loved this devlog! Seeing as the levels are in Unity have you considered testing a webGL or mobile build?

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »

Wow. I have been on these forums for about 3 years now. This is perhaps my favorite devlog.

Do you mind me asking what sort of experience you have in game making? Have you been doing this all your life? Are you a professional? Or is this just a hobby?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2015, 06:37:23 PM »

@ernanir Nice! I have only seen one of the Harry Potter films. What part does this remind you of?

@elfeck Thanks for the compliments. Not a fan of Unity!?!? Why not? It is amazing. Are you a fan of Unreal then? What game engine is your favorite?

@JctWood Two weeks, ah, it is bitter sweet for me too. However, it is that much closer to being playable by all of you. I DO want to try a web GL build, and I might try an iPhone build too. But for starts it will be mac and PC.

@Impmaster That is a big compliment, thank you! As for my experience, I started making 3D art in highschool ( 15 years ago now ) and I have been a professional 3D artist for 7 years ( I am currently creating environments for Sword Coast Legends ) This is a side project that I create early in the mornings. 

+++ LEVEL 87 +++

26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2015, 06:11:31 PM »

+++ LEVEL 88 +++

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »

suscribing

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: July 02, 2015, 08:31:12 PM »

maaaan I need to stop looking at this thread I don't want to spoil any more. skipped from 10 to 80, I think I'll just wait this one out because I know I'll enjoy the final game. Hand Metal Left

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic