Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:14:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioWhat is it that you think makes gaming music great?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What is it that you think makes gaming music great?  (Read 963 times)
Unfamiliar Identity
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2015, 06:05:55 PM »

So this is something I think about all the time. Most of my music library is full of soundtracks, I just find them absolutely beautiful. I was then thinking what is it about them that draws me to them?

For me, it's their ability to take you on a wonderful journey, completely immerse you in an atmoshpere or mood. In terms of their interaction and placement in a game, I think what truly makes a game's music great, is it's ability to possibly go unnoticed. What I mean by that is it blends in so well with the visuals and gameplay you don't even second guess it. But only when you conciously pay attention do you realise how phenomenal it is.

What about you guys? I'd love to hear what it is that you love about it, or even what your favourite game soundtrack is?

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 11:50:19 AM »

How has this thread gone without replies?

For me, what makes game music great is its ability to give an aural representation of a game world. I suppose that approaches what you described as blending in so well with visuals and gameplay that you don't second guess it. The music not only fits, but also adds valuable information. Especially in fantasy rpg's that are rife with fictional races and cultures, music plays an important role in guiding the player's perception of each individual race. To take a highly specific example, consider WoW's Nagrand, housing an ancient burialground sacred to the native Orcs. Instead of playing the usual, rather savage Orc music, Nagrand features serene ambient music with a swash of sorrow. Upon entering these lands, players will instantly know that this is not just another Orc zone.

In another sense, the music in the Fable series reinforces exactly what the game is supposed to be: a...a fable. You can't just compose 'standard' rpg music to such a game; there has to be this fairytale element permeating the work. Russell Shaw's work for the game has helped to construct the desirable player experience: that of a fairytale.

So what's your favourite ost? (:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »

What are we talking about? A lot of game music is indistinguishable from great film scores, so there's nothing specifically "game" about them.

BomberTree
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:12:01 PM »

What about linear film scores compared to game soundtracks such as fez where the artist designed each track to fit the world in whatever fashion the player chooses, that's pretty specifically "game" to me.

But not all games do that, making a lot of osts as you said indistinguishable from film scores.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:18:23 PM by BomberTree » Logged
Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »

While a lot of game music might be indistinguishable from great film scores, there's also a lot of game music that isn't. With middleware software making reactive music more accessible to musicians and composers, I'd hope there are many composers, old and young, trying their hand at this exciting tool for their craft! Similar software might be used for film, but the unchanging sequence of frames leaves less room for interactive music than video games.

I wouldn't know how many of us work with middleware. From what I've heard, despite its possibilities, it's still an uncommonly used tool for many composers. But another distinguishing characteristic of video game music is the plain given that in a lot of games, music is played that you'll have a much harder time finding in films. Kettel's

and Dvorak's Machinarium soundtrack would be rather unusual in film.

But if it were the case that the two kinds of music are virtually indistinguishable, we could still discuss what draws us to game music, no? 'Game music' is admittedly a very vague and generic term for music so diverse (just as 'film music' is equally vague), but I suppose that leaves room for all to come up with their own ideas. I'm sure people can come up with other distinguishing features. If a lot of game music is indistinguishable from film scores, it might be worth discussing the music that isn't, and see what interesting characteristics we can find! Perhaps it's clever tricks used to keep music within asset budget, or stylistic decisions and common practices that would be awkward in other media. :D

Unfamiliar Identity
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »

Whilst yes, it appears we can all agree that there is many similiarities and indistinguishabilities between film and game scores, Barendhoff and BomberTree have some great points, to suggest otherwise. I don't believe there is anything else I can contribute to that that they haven't already covered. But, the main reason I was specifically asking about 'game' music is simple. It's a 'gaming' forum, I'm not going to be asking about what your favourite film score or soundtrack is now am I?

Barendhoff you mentioned Fable, one of my favourite gaming series which has an amazing soundtrack. However, In terms of favourite ost, that's difficult, but one I recently fell in love with is the Child of Light ost. What about you?

Hitrison
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 10:06:15 AM »

The purpose of music and sound in games, movies, shows, etc. is emotional punctuation.  Music should serve to reinforce the thematic/mechanical/character elements in the game, whether that's touching story, action, or gleeful idiocy.  It's not a game, but

had a really good soundtrack (by the same guy who worked on Fez).  The opening scene (I couldn't find on Youtube without the director talking over it) is especially good.  The bonus of video games is that they're not exactly linear like film, so there's more room to do interesting things sonically to reinforce what's happening.

While we're on the subject of Fez,

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 11:30:47 AM »

It is great when it is interactive and changes according to what's happening on screen, or when it has that "identity" that music from no other medium has. And by this I mean chiptunes, that almost everyone can relate to videogames even if is not music for a game. Also how catchy and "to the point" some tracks are, how they can transmit their intended feeling in such a brief amount of time and you can hear it looping for a while without getting tired of it.

Of course, as you have said, some modern games use music that is not different from film music. It still may be good, but it does not have that personality that makes it different.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 12:08:18 AM »

Yeah, dynamic music is the coolest and Nintendo are the masters of it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic