Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:49:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Doom 3 AI programming anyone ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Doom 3 AI programming anyone ?  (Read 4714 times)
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2015, 08:05:55 PM »

I find it funny when people (indies) keep swearing by Unity, but there aren't whole a lot of decent games are out power by it. Performance issues, poorly designed code, etc. etc.

Endless Legend, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, Wasteland 2, Broforce, Cities: Skylines, Grow Home, Kerbal Space Program, Ori and the Blind Forest, Pillars of Eternity, War for the Overworld

Just cherry picking games I've heard of in the last 2 years.
motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2015, 08:10:36 PM »

Endless Legend, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, Wasteland 2, Broforce, Cities: Skylines, Grow Home, Kerbal Space Program, Ori and the Blind Forest, Pillars of Eternity, War for the Overworld
Just cherry picking games I've heard of in the last 2 years.

Since when do you count Blizzard, Obsidian, etc. as indies (in a sense of what true, garage, indies are) ?

Kot-in-Action Creative Artel
@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 08:18:10 PM »

Since when do you count Blizzard, Obsidian, etc. as indies (in a sense of what true, garage, indies are) ?

It doesn't matter if they're indies for the argument that no decent games are powered by it.
motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 08:38:07 PM »

It doesn't matter if they're indies for the argument that no decent games are powered by it.

Yes, it does matter. Given resources, one can make games out of thin air. And I didn't says "no decent games". I said "not whole a lot", which you proven with you short list of games.

Layl, it seems like you deliberately trying hard to derail the thread, which was not started about idTech 4 vs the world. There are a few valid arguments why Unity is more practical than idTech 4, but idTech 4 being old and useless is not one of them. Let's not continue on that road because it leads nowhere.

@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2015, 08:49:27 PM »

"not whole a lot", which you proven with you short list of games.

How can an incomplete, cherry picked list "prove" that there are few games made? That's like a super-strength version of the argument from ignorance. I have zero love for Unity and I find the fact that people are relying on a proprietary platform incredibly troubling. But you're not making any sense at all.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2015, 08:57:53 PM »

How can an incomplete, cherry picked list "prove" that there are few games made? That's like a super-strength version of the argument from ignorance. I have zero love for Unity and I find the fact that people are relying on a proprietary platform incredibly troubling. But you're not making any sense at all.

You are not being serious, are you? Or maybe you guys aren't reading my posts?  Shocked

Note that I don't have love/hate relationship with engines or proprietary platforms. What I have problem with is fan shoving tech down other's people throats regardless of the circumstances. Another thing that bothers me is when people say: "Look, Blizzard, Obsidian, etc. use Unity. It must be that awesome, so you should use it to." without even understanding that those companies also get full source code and have top notch software developers to fine tune and tweak engine to their needs.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:03:50 PM by motorsep » Logged

@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2015, 09:36:30 PM »

You are not being serious, are you? Or maybe you guys aren't reading my posts?  Shocked

I read your post and it didn't make any sense to me. Perhaps you could explain your reasoning, if I'm missing something.

Your claim: not a whole lot of decent indie games have been made in Unity.

Your "proof": a specific, short, cherry-picked list of games wasn't long enough and therefore (somehow!?) proves there are few games in total.

That doesn't make any sense at all. As far as I can tell it's a really weird argument from ignorance. But maybe you meant something else that you'd care to explain?

I don't [...] hate [..] proprietary platforms

No, I said that's why I dislike Unity.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2015, 09:44:20 PM »

That doesn't make any sense at all. As far as I can tell it's a really weird argument from ignorance. But maybe you meant something else that you'd care to explain?

Eeh, I don't think there is anything to explain o.O  No need to read between the lines.

You logic is faulty. In black and white I am saying there are not whole a lot of good games made with Unity. So out of 1000 Unity based games there are 7 decent ones and 2 good ones. That's how I see it. Maybe some mobile games fans see the world flooded with awesome Unity games. That's how they would see the state of things.

I didn't say there are few games made with Unity. It's something you keep saying.

@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2015, 10:03:43 PM »

Which programmer do you think has more value, the one that only knows how to use middleware and use behavior trees, or the one who knows how to do all the dirty work, lower level programming + modern tools ?

Usually its the third option: the one that can get shit done in a reasonable timeframe for a project and reflects intended results.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic