Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:48:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioSound design compos?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sound design compos?  (Read 1931 times)
TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »

Hey all, I'm relatively new to the forums, so I have a question: I see there's tons of music challenges floating around the audio board, which is awesome, but do you ever do sound design competitions? I'm not a composer myself, so while I love the idea of the music challenges, all I can contribute is feedback!

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:58:55 AM »

Honestly this sounds dope. You should start it!

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:29:32 AM »

Honestly this sounds dope. You should start it!

Seconded. I don't think that it is because we don't want to, I figure it is because most of us focus on composing (though there are many here who are versatile with composition and sound design).

I'd definitely opt in!

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 10:29:58 AM »

yoo I'd be in for that
TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »

Cool, glad to see there's some interest! I'll do some mulling over as to the best way to do it-- I've done a couple of sound design compos before, but not for a while.

I'm thinking either one where everyone does a sound design to the same video, and we vote on the best interpretation, or we supply a small set of sounds to everybody, and they need to create a sound replacement vid (probably no more than 1-2 minutes) using only the sounds provided, manipulated in whatever way makes sense.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 09:16:49 PM »

Another idea could be to come up with a sound effect to fit a move, or action, done by a sprite or animation. Something to oppose scoring a scene.

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 03:18:21 AM »

Another idea could be to come up with a sound effect to fit a move, or action, done by a sprite or animation. Something to oppose scoring a scene.

+1

what often times held me back from participating in the music challenge was the workload of the submissions. it'd be cool to maybe only have one particular sound effect or a small set of related sound effects per compo (like, maybe designing the sounds for a particular walking animation).
Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 11:31:20 AM »

Well then Homicide_Monkey, are you up for hosting another challenge, too? :D This sounds like fun!

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 07:18:24 PM »

Well then Homicide_Monkey, are you up for hosting another challenge, too? :D This sounds like fun!

If not, I'd be happy to try my hand at running it, though I'm a newcomer to the forums.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »

Pfft. Newcomer, shtucomer. Someone has to take the first step!

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »

Wait! Not a native speaker here. What does shtucomer means? Google has no idea and urban dictionary didn't seem to know either Sad

bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »

Wait! Not a native speaker here. What does shtucomer means? Google has no idea and urban dictionary didn't seem to know either Sad

ha! I don't know the term for it, but she's mispelling "newcomer" on purpose. The best example i can give is when someone says "easy schmeasy (or easy peasy)" when they think something is negligible. She's trying to say that it doesn't matter if you're a newcomer or not. I never realized it, but it must be a weird american thing. Composing shomposing. Homework schmomework? I don't know.

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 11:04:14 AM »

ha! I don't know the term for it, but she's mispelling "newcomer" on purpose. The best example i can give is when someone says "easy schmeasy (or easy peasy)" when they think something is negligible. She's trying to say that it doesn't matter if you're a newcomer or not. I never realized it, but it must be a weird american thing. Composing shomposing. Homework schmomework? I don't know.

I understand. very cool :D

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »

Lol, sorry for the late reply Daniel! Neaptide hit the nail on the head, though.

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »

Alright, I don't have much work next week, so I figured I'd sink some time into setting up a competition! It sounds like the preferred route might be an animation that we can all try and design a sound for, and I think it's at least worth trying. I'll probably try to find something with a little more action than just a walk loop anim, so we can be more creative in our approaches. Any suggestions on where to look for some free animation cycles? I was going to scour through the Unity asset store for free stuff, if nothing else.

Also, what's the easiest/most usable way to distribute the animation to everybody? I figure it'd be easiest as a video file, probably a .mov since most DAWs will handle that without complaint (unless someone can tell me otherwise). I'll try to do something with intraframe encoding so that people like me who prefer to scrub by frame won't cry themselves to sleep.

That sound good to everyone? Any other suggestions/concerns?

bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 04:07:47 PM »

I was thinking maybe it could be a list of abstract sounds we have to make, or a soundscape (a ship, a new planet, a library, etc.)

pgil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 07:30:12 AM »

This is a cool idea!

You can find some public-domain film at archive.org. They have old commercials, silent movies, and lots of animation.  You could just link to a 15-30 sec clip that that everyone could download.

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »

@pgil: thanks for the link! I will definitely comb through those.

So there's been some great suggestions, and I don't see why we couldn't try each of them at some point. After all, where's the fun in doing one audio competition, then stopping?

Here are the suggestions so far:

-Design the soundscape for a 15-30 second clip
-Design audio for a sprite animation
-Create a soundscape based on a description (no visuals) or list of abstract sounds
-Create a soundscape for a video (or animation or whatever) using a provided set of sounds

Since this is kind of a first-pass at the whole competition idea, I figure it's probably best to start small. So I'm leaning towards the first option, or the second if I can find a good, action-heavy sprite animation. Any feedback?

I'm pretty busy this week, but I'm hoping to get the groundwork in place for this pretty soon, so we can all get to crafting some audio!

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 01:06:24 AM »

how are the preparations going? Smiley

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »

how are the preparations going? Smiley

Slowly! I got busy all of a sudden. I may have to back-burner this for just a bit.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic