Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:49:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Cairn - A dark, woodcut adventure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The Cairn - A dark, woodcut adventure.  (Read 15054 times)
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 28, 2015, 03:21:26 PM »

Hey guys.

For the past several months myself (Art) and a few friends of mine, Avocado (Programmer) and KwazeKwaze (Sound Design) have been working on a game called The Cairn. Several different people have asked if we have a Tigsource on my Twitter, so I figured I'd just pop on here and finally make a thread.

The Cairn is a 2D adventure game that emulates the style of 15th century Dutch woodcuts, such as those made by Hans Holbein and Albrecht Dürer. The player takes the role of a skeletal child that emerges into a twisted world, populated by skeletons that have long since lost their sanity. It wasn't always like this.

Here are some .webms too, for higher quality/framerate:

http://puu.sh/hufdN/e4dd2da7ab.webm
http://puu.sh/hqIFV/099d264a29.webm
http://puu.sh/h90aQ/46de4934b5.webm

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I hope you guys like what we've done so far, we're hard at work.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:03:12 AM by J.D. » Logged

Attila0413
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »

Love the style  Smiley

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:10:25 AM »

Thanks! At the beginning I didn't think many people would enjoy the woodcut style, but I'm happy to see that they do. Smiley

IonForceStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 11:31:37 AM »

Yeah, nice style Wink I will also start my DevLog soon Wink So keep work and good luck with continuing project!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 11:46:48 AM »

Really like the idea of stylizing this after the Dutch woodcuts. The .webm links are quite pretty. Not sure if I understand the mechanics of the game just looking at the GIF but I'm certainly intrigued...

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 11:51:46 AM »

I'm pretty curious about this one... I agree that it's hard to get a feel for what the game will be from the gif, but I adore the art style.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 12:54:09 PM »

@IonForceStudio: Thanks for the luck, and same to you!

@oldblood, TopherPirkl: Thank you so much for the compliments about the art style, I try my hardest. We're currently putting our heads together to develop the combat system, and it doesn't help that the game doesn't look very game-y without a HUD (it's on my list).

I'll follow up with some more .gifs of combat that aren't just the MC smacking around dummies when the AI is more developed. :>

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 05:37:05 PM »

Just a little update with some animations for a new enemy.

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »

I'm curious, are you going to have any color in the game at all? I think it could be great without, but you'd have to handle it carefully. In fact, I've been musing about this a lot since I saw the first art you posted. Will he background stay white? I think that would run the risk of making the game feel very cold and stark, which can be good, if handled well and intentionally, but I think it also could make the game feel a little bit unfinished, like you're playing the concept art. I think keeping the animations sharp and well-produced will obviously help counter that.

But what's the intention behind the art style? Is it just a visual choice? Are we, as players, supposed to view them as drawings in some way? Could a change in background color affect that or heighten the concept of the game somehow?

None of this is a criticism, mind you, just musings. I think if the final art is going to stay in the woodcut style, though, it hears considering how that supports or dictates how aware the player is of the art as actual "drawings".

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 01:00:44 PM »

Woah. That art style is pretty cool  Wizard
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 07:47:40 AM »

@ TopherPirkl: Firstly, thanks for taking the time to even write a couple paragraphs regarding my game. It may seem strange, but there is something really humbling about knowing someone else looked at your art and designs and decided to muse about it. I don't mean to be cheesy. I appreciate it a lot. I'll try and coherently wrangle up a response.

Six months ago I took my first Printmaking course in college, I discovered intaglio, collograph and finally, the process that inspired me to make The Cairn, linoleum relief printing. Here is an early print of my very first linoleum print.

Tarot cards have always been a mystery to me, so when my professor told us to take a tarot card and re-imagine it into anything we wanted, so long as by the finish line it still could be visually read as a card, I took the idea and ran with it. There is something really addicting to the process of cutting into a hunk linoleum, slathering ink on it and putting it through a roller. There are no second chances with a block, if you make a bad cut, you have to live with it. Anyway, fast forward a few months.

I started drawing my first concepts for The Cairn around fourish months ago and proceeded to work with my programmer. I started to add color to everything, which in itself was a pretty time consuming process, until one day I sat down and considered 'why?'. Here's what the main character looked like with a little armor.

There are two angles to my decision, the first and probably more artistically important was the realization that I was emulating a style that already existed, hundreds and hundreds of years ago. I went and looked at the woodcuts and even though I had seen them all before in Art History 374, I looked at them from a game-y point of view. All the information was there, the highlights, the blackest black areas, the middle tones. It all came from mark making, and it felt hand-made just from looking at it.

And I love them for their complexity disguised as simplicity. I had already done it with my printmaking assignments, so I decided to proceed with color out of the equation, and only consider value. I started asking the question 'What absolutely has to be understood by the viewer for the game to work?', which would be most things in a game like this, but there is a natural ambiguity that comes with woodcuts that fits the themes of the narrative. You wake up in a world that has undergone a change for the worse, you don't know why these things are attacking you, you don't know where the next door will put you. I like that a lot.

Second and more dopey reason is that I'm the only artist and not having to color things makes my life a lot easier. This game doesn't have the luxury of making a tileset and then going through and making levels in an editor. Everything is hand drawn, every level. Here's what is sitting in my Paint Tool SAI right now, begging to be worked on.

I think you get the idea.

So, to actually answer a few of your points. I'm not sure what we'll do with the background, I could easily draw some clouds, or some distant mountains (the beginning of the game takes place in a valley), or something else. I like your ideas regarding the art as actual drawings that have come to life, and if I go down that route, I'll likely make some sort of overlay that reads as papers, or some muted plate tone from the print.

Sorry to have drowned you with my response, but just the fact that you sat down to write as much as you did made me want to return the favor in kind.

I hope it's legible. Tongue  

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 08:14:55 AM »

Oh wow, this is gorgeous. Nothing I love more than an atmospheric minimalist aesthetic. The enemy designs are so good

Had some questions:
- That image of the different skeletons, is that different concept images or can you equip various armor sets in the game?
- Looks like you have some kind of totem/spirit/guardian overhead that attacks for you. Does that affect combat in any way, like different types providing different buffs or abilities, etc.?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 08:56:49 AM »

@Sgt. Pepper: Whoops! Sorry I missed you in my last post. Thank you so much.  Grin

@Christian: Thank you! It's been really enjoyable to design these monsters, nothing quite like seeing your little babies walking around trying to murder your main character.

To answer your questions.

- Yep! I use Spine to animate all of the characters/monsters, and it has a pretty nice little slot system, so players can mix and match head, body, arm and leg armor pieces. Those are concepts, but the one on the far right is 100% getting in. Does it look familiar?  Wink

- The main character is a child, and doesn't actually do any of the attack himself. He finds and wields broken weapons, and sort of uses them to direct the floating skull when to attack. This accounts for the start up on an attack, which normally would be the main character winding up, instead it's the MC pointing to indicate 'hit that!' and the skull acknowledges and strikes. The first .gif I posted shows the main character switching up his broken items in his hand, which changes the type of weapon he uses. The skull can also defend with a big shield and help the player cast spells, down the line.

We do have a buff system sketched out, but it's a little early to reveal it. It has to do with the game's bosses. Sooon!

Thanks for the questions.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 09:42:24 AM »

Hmm, not sure about that last one. Inspired by Oblitus maybe?

As for the other armors, I really like the look of the second one, the plague doctor-esque armor

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 09:55:54 AM »

Hmm, not sure about that last one. Inspired by Oblitus maybe?

As for the other armors, I really like the look of the second one, the plague doctor-esque armor

Oh, no. The last armor is inspired and dropped by these guys.

And thank you, I was going for a more shaman-y plague doctor type deal.

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »

Speaking of, here are some Flock (little guys) reacting to having their Shepherd (big guy) killed. They de-aggro.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 12:19:23 PM »

This is neat; I really like the way the combat works with the big floaty skull.

I can't actually look at some of the stuff here, though; I don't know if it's the file format, but certain images are completely freezing my computer.
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »

This is neat; I really like the way the combat works with the big floaty skull.

I can't actually look at some of the stuff here, though; I don't know if it's the file format, but certain images are completely freezing my computer.

Thank you! I got rid of the super huge .gif, since the newest one gets the job done. Is that better?

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 01:57:24 PM »

Parries are up and running, though they need some tweaking, along with the 'I just got parried' enemy animation.

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 03:25:58 PM »

A new enemy and his walk animation.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic