Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:39:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Cairn - A dark, woodcut adventure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The Cairn - A dark, woodcut adventure.  (Read 14903 times)
nightvisioncarpetbomb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »

This is impressive.  It's lovely to see what inspired you and how you managed to take the inspiration and make it your own without copying the style.
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 05:17:45 AM »

This is impressive.  It's lovely to see what inspired you and how you managed to take the inspiration and make it your own without copying the style.

Thank you! There is definitely a balancing act between staying faithful to the source material and veering off into your own style, hopefully I can hit the sweet spot more often than not. Smiley

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 06:31:11 AM »

We completed a rough build to submit to AGDG's demo day! You can check it out here:

http://cairndev.itch.io/the-cairn

Let us know what you think!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:49:29 AM by J.D. » Logged

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 08:18:08 AM »

Really nice artstyle, great job! But my only concern is that people will eventually get tired of the black and white after staring at it for a few hours, maybe think of anything to add a bit variety to the art style or palette to keep it refreshing?

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »

Really nice artstyle, great job! But my only concern is that people will eventually get tired of the black and white after staring at it for a few hours, maybe think of anything to add a bit variety to the art style or palette to keep it refreshing?

Thanks for the compliment! We have a couple of ideas about what to do with color, introducing red tones in certain areas, as well as levels at night.

I appreciate the reply. Smiley

SrGrafo
Level 0

Artist / Animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 04:02:15 PM »

black and white is awesome (really dont know that many games that go full black and white) but you guys can add nice red for blood effects, or colored particles, besides that the art style looks really nice, at first I thought I was gonna enter in a tim burton's style but this one is more skelish and thats awesome

oh also, add shadows below the enemies and player, that will make them get a bit of shape inside the world

nice workm keep it going  Gomez

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 06:44:47 AM »

black and white is awesome (really dont know that many games that go full black and white) but you guys can add nice red for blood effects, or colored particles, besides that the art style looks really nice, at first I thought I was gonna enter in a tim burton's style but this one is more skelish and thats awesome

oh also, add shadows below the enemies and player, that will make them get a bit of shape inside the world

nice workm keep it going  Gomez

Thanks a lot! Hopefully we can fine tune the gameplay to match the art style.  Gomez

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 07:07:22 AM »

Some concept art for a an upcoming enemy type, do you have a preference?

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 12:18:14 PM »

Just played the demo-- great start! The timing of attacks and parries are a little weird right now. I'm sure you'd get used to them over time playing the game, but initially it felt like there was more "wind-up" than I expected. The same could be said of walking, it feels like you kind of need to get up to speed. Not anything bad, just an observation.

Also, it's obviously something I'd focus on more than most, but its weird to me to have footstep sounds and nothing else. Attack sounds, even if they're placeholders, are way more important to a player's experience, for feedback purposes if nothing else. Plus the footstep sounds don't really feel like they fit the visual style, they sound very 16-bit. Once again, not a huge criticism, just something that jumped out at me.

Regarding the concept art, I feel like 1 or 3 fit the look of the rest of the enemies better than the 2nd one.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »

the third one is original. The 1st and 2nd are a bit redundant.
I recommend you Tsutomu Nihei (especially Noise and Abara) for inspiration.
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »

Oooo looking very cool!!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2015, 05:58:26 PM »

Cool, I'll definitely watch out for this

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2015, 06:18:47 PM »

So I played the demo.

1. You can still move when the death animation is playing
2. The polearm hitbox detection is not good, I know you guys probably did this on purpose to only have the tip of the spear as the hitbox. But I think it will be easier to make it at least a little bit bigger, right now it is pretty weird.
3. The art style, like I mentioned earlier in this post, it is a cool art style but the eyes will easily get tired. The bigger problem is the enemies can easily blend in with the background.
4. moves a little bit slow... the attack feels a little bit sluggish (not sure if it is the right word)

Really honest advice below, I know we all need it (I do!).

5. Overall, cool art style and design. But I am going to be the bad guy and point out that currently it is pretty boring, the lack of color made it almost bland visually, and the extremely slow pace does not really help.

Couple of suggestions:
1. Combos for weapons...?
2. Make enemy stand out.
3. I understand the pace is set to be slow to make it challenging and strategic, but right now it is a bit too slow, it needs an appropriate amount of actions.
4. I get no rewarding feeling when defeating an enemy and I don't feel anything when I am dead. (as a player not a gamedev)

Holy crap that was long, hope it helps!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »

@TopherPirkl: Thanks for giving it a try, I really appreciate it. We're adjusting the wind up of attacks and the parries a bit due to similar feedback. Our sound guy is hard at work making sounds (there are a lot), so unfortunately we have to suffer through the incessant sound of footsteps for a little while longer. Thanks a ton for the feedback.

@bakkusa: I looked up the artist and wow, you're right. Very nice stuff, I saved a few images for my inspiration folder. Smiley Thanks a bunch.

@framk, MereMonkey: Thanks :D

@mzn528: We're aware of the movement upon death and we're working on patching it out. We'll expand the hitboxes a bit to see how they feel. I appreciate all of the suggestions and feedback, you're awesome for putting the time in to help us! :D

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 03:00:17 PM »

A little healing animation for Screenshot Saturday, slowly working through all of these animations on the list.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2015, 01:52:47 PM »

Some concept art for a an upcoming enemy type, do you have a preference?

3rd one is cool. The others have the interesting but well-trodden "plague doctor"/beaked mask look. The third has a much more unique design

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 04:13:11 PM »

All sorts of progress in one (poor quality) .gif! HUD, bell animation, running, healing, stamina and health.

Here's a much higher quality WEBM: http://puu.sh/hSpGl/1d6e5359a0.webm

More to come!

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »

goodness gracious all this progress
 Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 10:01:01 AM »

First armor set is in! And it has some special properties...

"Oooone of uuuus."

inkwellmachine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 11:39:20 AM »

The art is excellent. I'm very curious about what program you're using to make the lines, because they're so clean and appropriately-weighted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic