Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:11:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Cairn - A dark, woodcut adventure.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: The Cairn - A dark, woodcut adventure.  (Read 15048 times)
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2015, 01:18:16 PM »

The art is excellent. I'm very curious about what program you're using to make the lines, because they're so clean and appropriately-weighted.

I use Paint Tool Sai to draw, and Spine to animate. Smiley

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 11:02:50 PM »

Looks like you've got some steady progress. Good to see, keep it up!

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 02:11:48 AM »

I'm not a big fan of puppet animation usually, but I must say the original and raw visual style you're going for makes me forget the puppetry Wink
It's a really deep mood you've got there.

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 01:01:18 PM »

@TopherPirkl: Thanks! There's a lot to do. Tongue

@Igor Sandman: I can understand not favoring the bone-based animation for 2D, but when beginning this project, I decided that if I wanted the number of unique enemies, armor sets and player animations, I couldn't do it hand drawn (and expect to finish it this decade). I'm happy to hear that the art style alleviates that a bit. Smiley Thanks!

Here's a little sneak peak of what I'm working on at the moment. :>

Rigging up a new armor set. :D

inkwellmachine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 09:06:46 PM »

The art is excellent. I'm very curious about what program you're using to make the lines, because they're so clean and appropriately-weighted.

I use Paint Tool Sai to draw, and Spine to animate. Smiley
I had a hunch. Paint Tool Sai is great for art that really cares about line-weight. As for Spine, I'll have to look into it. That's a program I've never heard of until now. Thanks for letting me know~
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2015, 09:19:09 PM »

I LOVE your art style. Your concepts, your ingame art, all looks great. I can't play the game though. Java doesn't like me and I don't like it. Every time I try to run something in java ends in headaches, so I gave up on it Sad

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2015, 09:45:17 PM »

Nevermind. It worked Tongue

Maybe I didn't play enough to get a good feel on the gameplay but it felt a bit confusing. It's hard to tell it the enemy can reach me from where he stands, for example. And even after a few attempts I still don't know how to use my shield.

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2015, 07:12:36 AM »

@inkwellmachine: It took a little getting used to, but Spine is a really awesome program. I had done zero animating before this project, and now it's super easy to just rig up a skeleton's skeleton and start working. You're very welcome!

@diegzumillo: The amount of work we've done in just the few weeks after that demo makes it look very, very outdated. I'm almost a little embarrassed to keep it up on the site. Tongue The shield works like a parry, the first handful of frames of the defend animation will parry the enemy attack, and you get bonus damage.

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »

Whipped up a few placeholder weapon icons to start working on the UI, not sure if I'll keep this sort of look.

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2015, 09:29:48 AM »

Icons implemented!

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »

Working on one of the safe areas that will hold a cairn, a decrepit church. Here is a shot from when I started, and then finished.

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »

Took a little time to sketch out where the current level I'm working on is going. Only the top left portion is finished so far.

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »

Magic meter is up and working. Here is a webm with better quality/zoomed out: http://puu.sh/i3Obi/fd8f4fee44.webm

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2015, 04:23:32 PM »

I don't even.

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2015, 07:38:35 PM »

This art style looks cool, I also do some relief printing with lino so it's interesting to see that kind of aesthetic being used in a game. Though I think maybe the readability of the gifs isn't great, there should be something to help distinguish things from each other maybe?? I'm just basing this off the gifs I saw so maybe it looks fine when being played  Shrug
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2015, 09:54:15 AM »

This art style looks cool, I also do some relief printing with lino so it's interesting to see that kind of aesthetic being used in a game. Though I think maybe the readability of the gifs isn't great, there should be something to help distinguish things from each other maybe?? I'm just basing this off the gifs I saw so maybe it looks fine when being played  Shrug

Thanks a lot! I loved doing relief prints in college, the only shame of that was that I discovered it in my third to last semester. If I had known, I might've taken it as my minor.

Unfortunately the .gifs are pretty bad, I condense them quite a bit to get them under the 3MB limit for posting on twitter. The .webms that I post should give you a better idea. Readability will be a constant concern going through the development process, hopefully we can make it work out.

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2015, 01:58:26 PM »

Some enemies now get totally pissed and run at you like madmen. Shocked

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:19:35 PM by J.D. » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »

Could you make the GIFs smaller? On mobile, this thread crashes my browser

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2015, 10:19:46 PM »

Could you make the GIFs smaller? On mobile, this thread crashes my browser

Hope that's better. Smiley

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2015, 02:13:23 PM »

Things are progressing really well with the first level! Here's a little peek at what's cooking.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic