Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:07:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralRIP Ralph Baer (1922-2014)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RIP Ralph Baer (1922-2014)  (Read 881 times)
Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »

(I didn't see a thread about this, so I've decided to make one)

Some (or most) of you may know this, but Ralph Baer is dead. He's actually been dead since December of last year. If you ask the average gamer "Who was Ralph Baer?", they'll just usually shrug and go back to whatever they were doing. In reality, Baer is the forgotten hero of video games. He created the mother of all video game consoles, the Brown Box, which TV manufacturer Magnavox rebranded as the Odyssey. The story of the Brown Box is an interesting one, but I'll just give a short summery. In the late 1950's, Baer was working at a TV technician. He saw that if you moved the knobs on those primitive TV sets, things would move. He thought, "This would be cool", and proposed the idea to his boss, but his boss turned him down flat. A little later, in the late 1960's, after writing a 4-page document about the subject, and acquiring backing from Sanders (a defense company), Baer and his staggering  army of 2 technicians, create the Brown Box. With it, came the game Tennis, which a certain Nolan Bushnell saw and decided to make a clone of it known as Pong. Baer sued, won, and in effect made Atari, Bushnell's company, a licensee. Bushnell got credit for inventing video games though, and Baer was more or less forgotten. Other highlights of his career include creating the electronic game Simon, which still entertains kids today. He was not that bitter about his lack of credit for his invention, but when he got the Congressional Medal of Honor in 2006, he finally felt like he got the recognition he deserved. Rest in peace, Ralph Baer.

TL;DR: Ralph Baer died, the creator of the Magnavox Odyssey and Simon. Rest in Peace.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 01:33:25 PM »

Oh. Never heard of him nor his stuff. Now I know! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 01:48:43 PM »

Oh. Never heard of him nor his stuff. Now I know! Hand Thumbs Up Right

^ My point exactly  Tongue
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 02:28:10 PM »

I've done school presentations about video games in the past and never heard of him before. Thanks for sharing!

Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 02:35:36 PM »

I'm glad I could educate people about Ralph Baer  Grin
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:31:05 PM by Sgt. Pepper » Logged
Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 04:31:19 PM »

I found a nice little video made by Magnavox in 1972 about the Odyssey:

(Is there a way to embed YouTube videos?)
Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 11:58:32 AM »

I knew about him, but I hadn't heard that he died.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic