Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:50:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLets Make Some Doom Maps
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Lets Make Some Doom Maps  (Read 5127 times)
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:28:09 PM »

Last friday night I decided to try and make a doom map.
I looked up what programs I'd need, and was shocked at how easy and simple it was to get started.
It took me just a couple days of playing around and watching some tutorials and examples, and I could pretty quickly make a first level!

Theres how it starts:

I really recommend everyone here tries this. Its really engrossing, especially if you've been a fan of the games.
Just pure level design fun, within a really cool toolset. The software you can use for it is really smooth and well made, too.

Heres a few links to help anyone get started:

GZDoom Builder, a map editor for making doom maps. There are a bunch of other programs for this, but this one seems to be the most recent and actively developped. Its still being worked on, you can see the latest update was today! It is so easy to use, something that can only come about from years and years of iteration and polish. Theres a whole history of these doom map builders, slowly getting easier and simpler to use. Id software would have done nasty things to have a tool like this back when they were making the original levels. Its still being worked on, you can see the latest update was yesterday! I was AMAZED a program meant to make goddam Doom maps was still actively being developped, couldnt believe it! What a wonderful world we live in.

Slade 3, a program used to add custom ressources and art/textures/flats to your game. (It also has a map editor like GZDoom Builder, but its not as smooth as GZDoom Builder... So just use slade to import new stuff.)

on making a doom level with Doom Builder 2. Doom Builder 2 is an older version/branch of GZDoom Builder, so the interface in the video will look a little different to your own, but it should still be quite useful, and almost everything they mention like hotkeys and advice should still apply.

I spent the whole weekend working on a map, I cant believe how quickly I could make something, its so easy!

Heres a picture of the map layout
http://www.frankiesmileshow.com/stuff/Doom/Image5.jpg
(as a link so you dont get spoiled if you wanna play it first)

You can download my first level here

To try the level out, you need to get a doom sourceport program like ZDOOM,
and you need to get the Doom 2 IWAD.
( If you ever bought Doom2 on Steam or elsewhere, you should have a file called Doom2.wad in the folder, that's the file you need. just copy and paste it in the same folder as ZDoom. )
Yeah sorry, if youre not familliar with playing Doom wads, there is a bit of work involved setting things up. No way around it im afraid, a crucial file needed to play, the doom source code, is copyrighted by idsoftware so cant just be freely distributed along with the custom level/campaign!

To launch the level, drag my level's WAD file onto the ZDoom executable, and pick Doom2 as the source engine to play the level with.
Tell me what you think if you play it! I am really not used to designing stuff in this perspective, so this has been a great learning experience. One of my Game Maker projects is a Wolfenstein 3d/Blake Stone style first person shooter, and making some doom maps will serve as great practice for this.

I made half of the level on my twitch stream, you can watch the recorded stream

. Its huge though, like 9 hours long, but you can skim through. I got a lot of help from people on the stream giving me hints on what I was doing wrong! I will surely make more levels later, and I will probably stream that too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:39:29 PM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

Dragonmaw
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:34 PM »

i agree with this thread
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 05:25:26 AM »

i disagree with its title

Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 12:47:36 PM »

*quietly downloads DOSBox*

I'm in.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »

there are ports of doom for modern OSes u know

there ports of doom for modern operating systems u know (such as zdoom mentioned in the op)
Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 01:14:16 PM »

there are ports of doom for modern OSes u know

there ports of doom for modern operating systems u know (such as zdoom mentioned in the op)

What? You mean I spent 2 minutes trying to find a virus-free ROM? Dang it.  Facepalm
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 03:46:57 AM »

I gotta start looking at the rest of the forum so I don't miss out on good initiatives like this one.

GRATUITOUS EDITOR SHOT:
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »

Do you make a lot of doom maps Turbo Brother? Or is that your first? I like what I see.....

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 01:52:17 PM »

This is pretty cool I might mess around with this. Or atleast play some doom now :p

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »

Do you make a lot of doom maps Turbo Brother? Or is that your first? I like what I see.....
I've worked on a few maps but only one got a public airing (it's almost a joke that the only map that I finished and released was done over a forty eight hour period). I tell ya, I'm glad that I crossed over to Doom Builder for that one because up 'til then I was using Wadauthor and before that DEU. I never could get anything done in DEU my maps would always fail error checking because I kept screwing up deleting sectors and not keeping enough separate backups of maps so I'd lose a good hour of work whenever something went wrong and I couldn't revert my changes. If any of you kids want a real mapping experience get your dad's 486 out of the attic, dust it off and install DEU it's a man's work.

Here is another image of map:

That's a really big HOM. Evidently I have learned nothing in all of my years.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 02:57:22 AM »

I ran into problems with the structure in the middle of the map and fixing it would mean building it again from scratch. There goes my motivation so I'm starting over on a new map.

Maybe this one will get finished?
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 12:46:53 AM »

Tomorrow I will quit drinking.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 02:27:26 AM »

I really wish that Duke Nukem 3D / Shadow Warrior had the same kind of level editing community following that Doom apparently still enjoys.  For me, DEU was but the gateway drug to the Build editor, where I really put in the hours.  And how I loved that little editor.  Such an understated, straightforward thing that gave you so much power over the engine.  And the engine... All these little tricks and gimmicks to make the world seem more alive, and the mess of hack jobs to hide how rudimentary the engine really was.

It was all pretty important to me, and taught me a great deal about game and level design.  I really wish I could play with it again.

But, yeah... no one really cares about the Build engine/editor any more.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »

http://www.twitch.tv/frankiepixelshow Streaming, making my second doom map ever. Got some ideas going, let's see where this goes...

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 11:33:09 PM »

So after starting and restarting twelve times I just threw in the towel and spent the morning making a deathmatch map instead. It's a pretty big file, instead of spending the time to extract the specific textures that I needed from gothictx.wad I just put all of 'em in there because... fuck man, that woulda taken time. I shoulda been done with this shit last week.

Point your 2400 baud modem to this ftp promptly and come back in an hour or two and then enjoy some fast paced duelling deathmatch action!
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 10:21:30 PM »

Oh hell yeah!
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 10:21:49 PM »

Oh man, it is so easy to make a layout. Hopefully I will have fun with something simple

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 10:33:24 AM »

Yeah, Im really digging it as just a way to practice making some first person view level design. I would like to make my own Wolfenstein 3d-esque FPS sometime, but had basically zero experience with all this before. Making maps for doom seems like a really good entry point for this.

Didnt get very far with my second attempt tho, realized I needed to plan it on paper a little bit before, this time. I was going for one of those levels that start in a small room with a bunch of doors, all leading to their own little branches that you need to complete in some sequence, like Tricks and Traps from Doom 2. I always liked this kind of setup for a level.  My very first level was a little bit like that, but where all the branches were kind of optional, save for the straight-forward path, which led to the end. The side paths were just meant to "prepare" you for the center path, giving you armor and weapons etc.

One thing making this sort of level fun to design is, each branch kind of becomes their own mini-level to try independent ideas in. Little set pieces that dont really need to connect to the other parts. Like a little design playground, that you can still sort of plan out with an over-arching difficulty curve to it.

Another thing id like to try is a very small level that still takes a long time to complete. Like, a very dense design. Maybe you get a rocket launcher very early, but the rooms are so small that you can almost never use it without taking damage yourself.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:41:43 AM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 02:55:42 PM »

I get what you mean about planning out your level design Frankie, it's easy to waste time on little things if you don't see the big picture. Your multi-door specified sequence idea reminds me of a metroidvania process! That'd be pretty cool seeing it compacted into a smaller level where rooms are literally built with certain weapons in mind.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 08:54:11 PM »

I dont really know what I am doing but I am having fun.

Right now I am doing a low ammo level. One of the first rooms has a Revenant (and a Zombie squad) that you have to run away from until you get to find a single double barrel shotgun, while also avoiding Imp accorss the hallways

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic