Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:35:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsOffering Paid Work[CLOSED] Looking for a creative 2D artist for an action / puzzle game!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [CLOSED] Looking for a creative 2D artist for an action / puzzle game!  (Read 2182 times)
belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2015, 01:42:55 AM »

That's all, folks!

Thank you for all the people who applied; there's a lot of very talented artists who sent their portfolio, and I plan on responding to every e-mail.  If you're reading this, it is probably too late!   The poison has already taken effect!  I mean... I'm probably on my way to finding the artist for my game!  Cry

If you're wondering how things are going, please check out my website (http://www.belbeeno.com/) for news, or my Twitter for updates and YouTube links to 90s music.  Sorry if you're here looking for work and just ended up with a link to Natalie Imbruglia's Torn.

You're all lovely!  Keep up the good work!  Coffee

Here's the old entry for those who are curious.
Howdy, y'all!

I'm Ryan Lee, a solo game developer up north in Vancouver, BC.  I'm currently working on a 2D action puzzle game based on a game I played a lot as a kid on my Macintosh Quadra 650.  It was called

back then, and my game is tentatively called Factory now.  I'm trying to improve the game and evolve it for the tablets, where I believe it belongs, using Unity.  It seems to have evolved rhythm mechanics, and things are getting pretty exciting!  Here are some animated
captures of the game:

It would be MORE exciting though if it wasn't covered from head to toe in programmer art.  My 'Debug widget' is a character I made like 4 years ago: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/428691/booty.gif.  Hopefully this is where you come in!

The game is in dire need of a visual overhaul from someone with an eye for design and usability.  Here's a quick list of things that the game will need off the top of my head:
  • Sprites for the factory's parts need to be responsive to user touch and animated to match the beat of the level.  I would really love to have things animated using traditional animation, but you're the boss! Let me know what you think would look best.
  • Environmental, non-interactive backgrounds, which may or may not be animated.  Once again, would love to hear your thoughts!
  • Per-level sprites for ingredients, mistakes and finished products, which shouldn't be too complex; they should have a clear sillhouette making them easy to identify even when they're small, and should make sense contextually; for example "That's a bottle, and that's a cork.  I should cork the bottle", "That's a layer of cake, and that machine applies the cherry on top", or "That's a pile of junk and not a hand in a Kuribo Boot flipping me the bird".
  • Potentially additional work in designing particle effects.
  • Potentially additional work in designing levels if you're really keen on that sort of thing.  I'm using OGMO.

What I'm NOT looking for:
  • No pixel art!  I want something that's unique and fresh.
  • No lone wolves!  I need to work together with you to get the game matching your artistic vision for it.  That means lots of communication!  You should be willing to have meetings over stream occasionally, talk on IM (like Hangouts) often, and understandable English is a must.
  • No newbies!  Sorry!  I'm betting my savings on this game, so I need to finish this efficiently and professionally.  If you're fresh out of school, come find me during a game jam and we can figure out something then!

What I AM looking for:
I'm looking for an artist that's creative, motivated, passionate about usability & design and funny!  I have a general idea of an artistic direction that I think would be fun, but frankly you're the professional so we should sit down and figure out what'll work!  A functional knowledge of Unity and SVN is a plus, but if my socks are knocked clean off my feet when I see your wicked good portfolio, I'm sure we can something out.  Although all applicants will be considered, I'd like to encourage under-represented developers (including but not limited to women, members of ethnic minorities or people identifying as LGBTQs) to apply.

If this sounds like you, then please PM me your portfolio, some contact info and your estimated rates.  My intention is to pay per-milestone payments, but I'm also open to revshare or hybrid pay/revshare models if you're interested in teaming up.  I'm also open to hearing about payment models that have worked well for you in the past.

A bit about me:
I come from about 5 years of hired game development as a programmer, 3 years of which were spent making 'Triple A' games.  I quit all that to work on games independently about a year ago.  If you're interested in finding out a bit more about me, please feel free to check out my website: (http://www.belbeeno.com).  I play Insect Glaive & Hunting Horn on MH4U and I'm trying Lance with Evasion +2; I gotta say, it's pretty fun.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:25:29 PM by belbeeno » Logged

@belbeeno - website
Buy my dang game, Factory Hiro!
Graz73
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 05:28:29 AM »

Looks great!
belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »

Just a heads up to any applicants after today that I'll be out of town in the coming week on personal business, and that I will be checking the forum and e-mail regularly in the evenings so feel free to continue sending me inquiries, comments or feedback.  You're all lovely!  I hope for many nice days in your near future!

@belbeeno - website
Buy my dang game, Factory Hiro!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic