Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:14:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNeed help choosing game design options for Rogue-like game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need help choosing game design options for Rogue-like game  (Read 1245 times)
MrProg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2015, 04:42:18 PM »

Hello! I’m trying to decide where to take my game as I am just finishing the base mechanics. I know what I want, I am just unsure how to go about doing it. I want to present some ideas and see what you think would be a good direction to go in.

What I Want:
2D Platformer
This is pretty straightforward but I’m going into the direction of a pixel-art styled platformer.

Randomness
I know I want to make a game where random plays an important factor. Random loot, random upgrades, and random levels (To a point).

Permanent Death
This is something I can’t decide on but I want there to be some form of permanent death, once you die there is no coming back.

Random but not so Random Levels
So the actual level designs will be the same but they will be large in size. The starting point will be the random part. So every time you play a level, the point where you spawn would be different along with the end point.

Random Spawning Enemies
The enemies would spawn in randomly as you go based on the difficulty to provide the real challenge. Different enemies will variant between the level themes.

High Replayabilty
I want there to be a ‘what will happen this time’ effect when the player goes through a playthrough. The randomness will help a lot with this.

What I’m Stuck On:
I have two ideas of where to take this but I’m not sure which one to choose:

Plan A:
• The player picks their main weapon that they’ll keep for the entire play-through and then start fresh.
• Have one main hub, and four doorways. Each doorway leads to an actual level that features a boss at its end point and completing the level will send the player back to the hub.
• Once they are at the hub they can purchase a variety of upgrades and then continue onto the next doorway. Once they have completed all four doorways the fifth and final doorway will unlock and completing that will beat the game.
• If they die in a level then it will take a chunk of their collected money away and respawn them at the hub forcing them to restart the level they were trying to complete. If they run out of the required money then it will be game over entirely.
• There will be a countdown timer placed to force the player to rush in a way, if the countdown reaches zero before they finish the game will also end.

Plan B:
• The player starts by upgrading their character and choosing their weapon in a menu and then sends them out to the first level. Once they die they come back with any stats collected and can make any adjustments to their character, but will then start over at level 1 with a stronger character. So in a way, with every death they will become stronger.
• There is no hub level but only the four levels paced one after another. Each level would still have a boss at the end.
• Along the way, the player can unlock more upgrades that are found in the levels.
• Possibly a time limit as well, to force suspense on the player.

If you couldn’t tell, I’ve gotten a lot of inspiration from Risk of Rain.

I wanted to go with a plan that is somewhat in-between these two as I feel the Plan A doesn't seem as satisfying to replay and Plan B makes it seem like death is required. I may be overlooking some of these ideas but any help would be appreciated!

I’d just like some feedback on my Plans and where I could go with it. Maybe they’re already good, maybe I need to rethink this entirely. I just want a solid foundation before I really get into the primary development.

Thank you for making it this far, and I’ll be sure to respond as quickly as I can.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:09:35 AM by CriticallyPixel » Logged
DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »

Well it sounds like Plan A is an "easy" roguelike and Plan B is a RogueLite (I dont know when this term came about but I love it).

Basically in Plan A you can lose. In B it only gets easier. These games appeal to different people so I would start there: Who do you want to play your game? The type of hardcore gamer that gets thrills out of grabbing the Orb of Zot in Dungeon Crawl and seeing if he can go through Dark Souls without taking any damage (Those people make me sick btw, I died like a million times before I beat DS2) or do you want to appeal to the gamer who enjoys the challenge but never wants to be "too" frustrated.

Once you know who you're making the game for perhaps some of the finer details will become obvious choices. If not, well... pick one :D Or maybe work on the core gameplay and see what emerges as the best option.
MrProg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:06:49 PM »

Yeah I see what you mean by the Rogue-like vs Rogue-Lite now. I guess it's all up to me to decide what kind of game to make. Thanks for the tips!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:09:04 AM by CriticallyPixel » Logged
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 08:56:43 PM »

Rogue ffs, rouge is red in french...
MrProg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 10:10:04 AM »

Sorry about that, I fixed everywhere it said Rouge.
rhill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 04:54:01 PM »

Why does the collecting stats version go hand-in-hand with running the 4 levels in series?

MrProg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:27:05 AM »

I'm not quite sure why I decided that then but I have come to a decision where it's a combination of the two.

So here are the features I'm going to use:
  • There will be a hub with 4 worlds attached and the player gets to pick.
  • The player can only upgrade at the respawn screen with their collected stats
  • Once they die they will lose money based on their level and the amount of deaths they've had. Then they'll be returned to the respawn screen in the hub.

So basically it's Plan B with the hub element form Plan A. Where they can only upgrade when they die.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic