Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 01:59:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs Sorcerobe - New demo!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Sorcerobe - New demo!  (Read 6953 times)
purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 01:11:49 AM »

after that I decided to finally get tile texture/color painting in. basically now I can add a lot more variation without much overhead because all I have to do is create the sprites and add them to a list
Oh man, being able to quickly implement visual ideas into the game like that sounds like a fun creative process.

B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 04:39:47 PM »

the tile painter is now more or less finished. I want to eventually add a method of setting up custom patterns but that's more of a luxury so I'll be moving on for now. I also retooled all the menus to be easy to add to, so that'll save a lot of time in the long run. Also, I've added functionality for two-tone sprites! greatly increases the detail potential for each individual tile. Here's a gif demoing most of the new functionality

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 05:54:37 PM »

Sweet progress b.
Suedeash
Level 0

That guy.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 08:19:18 AM »

My God, this game looks absolutely stunning. Consider me sold, haha!  ; Hand Thumbs Up Left
kairunotabi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 04:25:52 PM »

Holy cow! I never actually thought Game Maker: Studio to be so wonderful to fit for such an awesome game! Keep it up and keep us updated!  Coffee
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »

Man, I didn't even know game maker had such 3D capabilities. Did you find it hard to implement, and are there any issues with Z sorting and the like?

I see a lot of potential in that editor.

IconicGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 06:09:55 PM »

Those gifs look like a lot of fun. I really like the perspective and lighting your using here. Not to mention the art looks fantastic!

<br /><br />
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »

hey this looks c00l as i saw it on tumblr but i didn't know what it was called oop
B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2015, 05:23:28 AM »

hey guys! I've been working on lots of new tilesets. Also some other stuff, pretty tilesets first though

I'm really happy with how the cave tileset is turning out in particular. The transition tiles need work though I think.

I also had to figure out how to create a scrollbar because of all these new tiles, so here's a gif of that in action (only moving like that for debugging, haha)

I've also started to work on ways to create "indoor" areas. Kind of going for a diorama style look

The way this is being accomplished can probably be improved on, I swear it's not as stupid as it sounds though! basically I'm making a rectangle in front of the tiles I want to be invisible from the front that's the same color as the background. The reason I can't just not draw the wall sprites is because they still need to be potentially visible from the side, just not from the front. Here's an example where I changed the color of the rectangles to give you a better idea of what's going on, I also took this screenshot in 3d mode where you can see the "sides" of the walls

And finally I've been putting together a pretty basic puzzle object, pull/pushable blocks! depending on what abilities you have available you may only be able to either pull or push them. Not the most exciting thing in the world but there's lots of puzzle potential here I think. Mainly I've been figuring out how to get them to stack properly without falling through eachother or reordering themselves. I think i've got it now

Man, I didn't even know game maker had such 3D capabilities. Did you find it hard to implement, and are there any issues with Z sorting and the like?

I see a lot of potential in that editor.

Thanks, It wasn't too hard to set up the basic system actually, there are some depth sorting issues though. For instance, objects need to be displayed on top of the tiles, so there are some cases where the tile should be drawn on top of the object in question but isn't. It's not something that happens often though, it just requires a bit of tweaking to prevent particular troublesome cases.

Thanks for the interest everyone! I'm glad you all like the visual style I've been going for
B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 11:39:14 AM »

Added a bunch of new tiles. the main new tileset is some wooden planks, Still making pretty general sets as I haven't zeroed in on any specific themes yet

Also, I spent a bunch of time tuning up the staircase objects to have actually good collisions with the player/physics objects. After I finished that I decided it was time to tune up how the staircases looked! so I did.

A nice side effect of doing this is as long as it updates in realtime the lighting is handled automatically.
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 03:50:43 PM »

Definitely has a Solstice vibe. And the engine is looking pretty!

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
VertexZero
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 03:51:48 PM »

This looks pretty cool! I love it Smiley
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »

Amazing updates. Its so inspiring to see how much you're pushing GameMaker and maxing out what it can do  Beer!

B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 03:11:25 PM »

Hey guys! I've been hard at work trying to polish up the game enough to give people something playable to see how the game is shaping up, and i'm happy to say I'm finished! I've got a new 6 level demo right here for you guys to play!

http://boen.itch.io/sorcerobe-dev-demo-2

Here's a few things that have been improved since the original demo I had in the OP:

- "realtime" updated lighting
- much more powerful tile sprite engine, ~10 new complete tilesets so far
- improved player movement, controls & collision
- combat!
- health mechanics
- enemies!
- pullable blocks!

Real cool stuff I know. Anyways feel free to check this out and lemme know what you think!

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 11:16:15 PM »

Man, you're new to programming and you managed to make something like this in GM: S?  Wizard
Pretty awesome work! I'll be keeping and eye on this.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 03:55:06 AM »

Neat work!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2015, 04:03:05 AM »

new to programming

Ah, that explains the awesomeness displayed here.

It's like when Alan Kay (one of the inventors of the GUI) asked Ivan Sutherland (one of the great pioneers in programming)  "How could you possibly have done the first interactive graphics program, the first non-procedural programming language, the first object oriented software system, all in one year?"

Ivan allegedly replied: "Well, I didn't know it was hard."

Keep on building those tools!
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 12:17:11 PM »

Game looks amazing! Though I feel like the early screenshots (before tiles and textures) were more readable.
ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 02:02:33 PM »

The game looks great! It has a wonderful Marble Madness vibe to it.

The hat and cloak character really comes off well too.

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 01:16:08 AM »

THIS
The game looks great! It has a wonderful Marble Madness vibe to it.

Also would you care to take us through how the 3d and 2d aspects of the game are developed in GM:S as a few other people have said, I had no idea Game Maker could support 3D. Is it as intuitive as the 2D capabilities?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:21:32 AM by JctWood » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic