Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:38:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSome studio naming questions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Some studio naming questions  (Read 608 times)
jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2015, 04:53:16 AM »

I've poked around several threads but haven't seen answers.

To start, I already have an LLC. I made it to do a bit of software consulting and am wondering if I can now repurpose it. So here goes:

• Can I just brand my games with whatever "studio" name I want. Or does it need to match my company name? For some reason, I find it hard to believe every little indie dev has a corporation behind that logo screen, but I dunno.
  • If my company is called X can I safely call myself X Studios or X Games? WAIT. X GAMES? OH NOES.

The funny thing is I don't even have a better name in mind. When I was younger I spent most of my time daydreaming about silly things like names for a company I didn't exactly have. Now, it's the last thing I want to think about, but it's obviously good to have for branding, trailers, press kits, etc.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike - dev log
RaconteurNick
Level 1

Business Dude @ Raconteur Games

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 05:44:53 AM »

The name will have to match. I'm 99% certain you could file to change the name of the LLC and it would be inexpensive and easy. In order to take in revenue you have to have a company in some form -- whether that's a simple sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC or a corporation. So yes, all those little indies do have to have a company behind it if they're selling! If you're going to use that LLC and act in that company's name I recommend filing to change the name to cover your rear. Smiley

If it's already, say, Jeremiah, LLC, you could easily go with Jeremiah Games, LLC assuming that name isn't already taken, so that shouldn't be a problem. Google "[state name] business filings" to check your state's website and see if it's available -- you want to look on your state's Secretary of State site for that.

Hope this helps!

jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:38:46 AM »

Thanks. I wanted to avoid it, but I figured that's what I would end up having to do and you're right, I don't think it is that difficult or expensive (a $50 fee in my state I believe). Now I have to think of a name. Hmmm.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike - dev log
RaconteurNick
Level 1

Business Dude @ Raconteur Games

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »

Not a problem! If I can ever be of service to you, don't hesitate to PM me. Smiley

Also, voted for your game on Greenlight. Best of luck! Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic