Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:46:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeCompleting old projects
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Completing old projects  (Read 1182 times)
Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:36:27 AM »

Hi, im sure it happened to a lot of you, suddenly having a new idea that you feel is better than the one your working on.
I feel the ideal behaviour would be not to go with it, but that is sometimes hard.

Anyway, if after some lack of discipline you have a lot incomplete projects,how should one go about some finish games.

Should start by what is the closest to finish?
By what you want to finish the most?
Make sure you finish what you are currently working on?
Avoid going back to old projects in the firstplace?

I guess maybe theres no right way/order to finish old projects, and its all about discipline really; But im curious with peoples experience here.

Have you ever felt like completing your own incomplete games? how did you do it and how did it go?

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »

Why do you want to finish a game? Wink (Serious question)

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »

Well, I don't see any point in making a game and just keeping it. Releasing incomplete games tends to just make people (including myself) wish you DID finish the game (if any good).

I have been making games for I don't know how long and barely got anything to show for it, I guess I want to be able to say, I make games and have games I'm proud to show.

I like making games, but I also like having made something that provides others a good time.
Can't get the latter if I just don't finish anything.

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »

I think every abandoned game has the same history: At some point what motivated you to develop the particular game was no longer present and thus you stopped. This could be trying out a particular gamedesign idea, learning a new language or engine, or the vision of a great and fun game that when the actual prototype was present turned out to be not a realistic forecast of the future.

The trick is to pick a motivation that is only fulfilled when the game is released! This is easier when you work in a team or as a job because there's peer pressure to motivate you. You want to get paid? You better reach the milestone in time. It works for students, too: They need to pass tests, get good grades and so they have to do what they gotta do to achieve that. But if you're self-motivated it can work too if you pick the right goals. If your goal is "I really want to experience how publishing a game on steam actually is like" then the game is just a means to achieve your true goal. It would make no sense to abandon your project if you haven't experienced the greenlighting process, or whatever it is - post game development - that motivated you to start the project. My only published personal game project in the last years was due to a curiosity like that. (Flash sponsoring model on FGL in my case)

Does that make sens?

Another trick is to have modest goals that are achievable before you run out of steam. For me in the last years the goal was not to make a game but to make a post on my blog. Pretty much every project that is interesting enough to get started is fit to be made into a blog post. And when I lose interest I'm just like: well... let's wrap it up write that damn post and move on. Still, I get shit done and looking back it's a track record of neat little experiments that I can be proud of.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:13:43 PM by lithander » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »

Game jams. Game jams, game jams, game jams.

I used to have this problem as well. I never had a finished game to show. But the other day I was setting up my Patreon page and after I'd added my games to it I realised I actually do have a pretty colourful collage of little games up my sleeve by now. And most of them are Ludum Dare games.

Always do Ludum Dare. It's only three times a year and it only takes three days and you usually come out of it very satisfied and proud of yourself if you push through it. It's a fantastic motivation to see what you've accomplished after a few times.

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 06:23:12 PM »

I think one problem is many games I stopped were not because I was had gotten what I wanted or even dissatisfied with the prototype. I mean, there are some games that did that, and they will stay that way forever.
The problem is all the games I don't even know why I stopped that I just feel:"I should really finish that"

I guess getting an objective is a good idea. What im currently working on is just a prototype, after this id like to release a game on the playstore i guess.
Funny the mention of the blog, I made one myself and didn't even make it to two posts. Maybe ill try that :D

As for jams, I do exactly that, and I think it became a problem to me.
I used to make "give up" on games all the time, And then I became more disciplined and stopped that (jumping on the fresh new idea). In return, I try and participate in Jams, they are my fun time break.

Problem is a lot of those game I like and would want to finish/make proper. Hell I think most games I want to complete are jam games.

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »

what made you unsatisfied? pinpoint that and practice the crap out of it until you feel better and have a sense of accomplishment, then you will have the motivation to push through. Good luck!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 07:35:44 PM »

From what I've gathered:

Discipline > Motivation

Mind you, it doesn't mean discipline is easy. I'm trying to figure it out myself. But at some point, if you want it, just find a way to get it done.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 04:28:31 AM »

At the very least use your old projects as inspiration for the new ones. That way part of the soul of the original makes it in, and you don't feel like working on that old project was a waste.

That being said do keep working on old projects. Try to make the dev cycle as short as possible too, the first game I ever finished making was a ludum dare one and it taught me many things about productivity and motivation/discipline.

LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 07:24:58 AM »

When you complete and release games you'll have new worries, like... should I maintain old games, adding features, or move on? We've released seven games and even when we tried, we ended up looking forward.'Hey, let's add new cogs to Oddy Smog' Sure. One. 'Let's add a hard mode to Slider' Yep. We even started a devlog here. But we already moved on to a new project Sad

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 09:08:04 AM »

It all depends on why you are making games? Is it for fun (hobby)? is it for a living? If you want to be a professional you have to keep working on it, all projects will have a moment where you don't want to work on it any longer or you feel the game's not as good as you expected, etc. Just push through that stage. It's totally normal.

If you have other ideas for a different game just write them down in detail and work on them later. Finishing and delivering is key!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic