Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:23:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)I think I got it, I think I programmed A*
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: I think I got it, I think I programmed A*  (Read 3118 times)
Hambone
Level 1

follow on the twitter @The_Hambone1988

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 03:49:11 PM »

Still a little buggy, but hey, now the mouse moves on it's own!

Hambone

Wannabe indie game developer
Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 10:20:13 PM »

alright so I think I fixed the corner issue, tell me if this sounds right.. please. lol

Since my directions are limited to up down left and right, to me, it makes sense that moving right should cost a little less since there are always less moves required directly right as opposed to moving down then back up?

I modified it so moving right has a smaller "g" value and ended up wit this result...

hopefully I am getting somewhere with this.  Evil

Hambone

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 04:15:50 AM »

I really, really wouldn't do that if I were you.

You've added a hack to fix a symptom in a specific scenario. But you still haven't found and fixed the underlying bug. Which means that the bug is almost guaranteed to pop up again, under different circumstances.

edit:
All you need to get an optimal path using A* is to have an admissible heuristic. Which means that the estimation of "how far am I from the goal" should always underestimate the remaining distance (or get it exactly right).

Example:
The true distance to the goal (rounding obstacles etc.) is 10 moves.
If your heuristic estimates the distance to 9 moves (or 0 or 10 moves) it is admissible.
If it estimates the distance to 11 moves (or more) it will fail to give you the optimal path.

If you only can move left/right/up/down the closest distance possible to the goal (assuming no obstacles) is the manhattan distance. Which makes it an admissible heuristic, as it will either get the correct distance or underestimate it (which is good). Which means that A* is guaranteed to give you the optimal path, using the manhattan heuristic with those movement rules.

If you don't get the optimal path (as in your previous examples) there is something wrong with your A* implementation, not with your choice of heuristic.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:31:15 AM by Dacke » Logged

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 08:10:32 AM »

try theta* ?

http://files.aigamedev.com/tutorials/aap-PostProcessing.png

http://aigamedev.com/open/tutorials/theta-star-any-angle-paths/

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 02:37:27 PM »

That does look interesting, but it's not really relevant here. It's more complex and not suited for this task. Theta* seems to be good for aesthetically pleasing path planning in continuous environments. But Hambone is dealing with the simpler problem of finding an optimal path in a strictly defined grid.

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 04:09:59 PM »

But Hambone is dealing with the simpler problem of finding an optimal path in a strictly defined grid.

^^ and I am still having issues with it, I feel like I should have it by now  Mock Anger Mock Anger
I am about make a fresh application and see if I can get it this time, third time is charm right??

You've added a hack to fix a symptom in a specific scenario. But you still haven't found and fixed the underlying bug. Which means that the bug is almost guaranteed to pop up again, under different circumstances.

This is absolutely correct.. Shortly after I made the post I realized that it was only solving the problem for very specific instances instead of all situations. I feel like an idiot ha... I am determined to get this!!

Hambone

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 07:27:10 PM »

That does look interesting, but it's not really relevant here. It's more complex and not suited for this task. Theta* seems to be good for aesthetically pleasing path planning in continuous environments. But Hambone is dealing with the simpler problem of finding an optimal path in a strictly defined grid.

It's for strictly define grid too, the main idea is to "backtrack" from the goal to get bee line and avoiding teh wall hugging feature seen in this thread. Similar idea can be used instead of a free directional.

Surely overkill as his behavior looks like a bias in the heuristic fct, but at the same time I wonder if is isn't an artefact on how it had implement the Manhattan evaluation, ie that for the system the little U wall hugging result from the heuristic evaluating node with the same weight. Or maybe it's when he unroll the path with the open list he didn't properly close some node (or didnt expend children correctly ie discarded child of a previous node). I bet on the Manhattan evaluation count the corner distance twice, ie met say you are at a diagonal of the goal, it would have to count Y + X, and have 3 instead of 2.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »

Bug finding tip: try temporarily setting your heuristic to 0 (instead of using manhattan distance, but do keep "distance traveled"). In a properly implemented A* you will get an optimal path. If it still bugs out you'll know if the fault is all in the heuristic or not.

Gimym, sure, it treats the problem as a grid. But at least the way the article presents it, it's mostly about aesthetics in continuous environments. Also, I don't think it would work properly as long as the underlying A* implementation is bugged.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 04:54:05 AM »

He should make something to visualized all expended and explored nodes

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 08:22:29 AM »

So. Does anyone think the fact that my movements are 4 way, up down left and right, that this could be my issue?  Since all movemts have equal g of 10??!

Hambone

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2015, 08:30:07 AM »

show the data

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 12:00:45 AM »

Why don't you just copy an existing implementation exactly instead of guessing you've done it correctly? Huh?

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2015, 12:51:18 AM »

Why don't you just copy an existing implementation exactly instead of guessing you've done it correctly? Huh?

how would that help him learn do this by himself? he's pretty close anyway, there's been some good advice by Dacke here on how to fix this.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2015, 01:35:24 AM »

True.

Wasn't sure whether this was for learning or one of those "pls help why don't it work i just wana mak gam not dum A*".

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2015, 08:05:40 AM »

Wasn't sure whether this was for learning or one of those "pls help why don't it work i just wana mak gam not dum A*"

School assignment, they check for copy/paste

Hambone

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »

o

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »

Simple solution: create an AI that rewrites copypasted code into your coding style and adds a few minor mistakes.

More realistic approach:

1. Set your heuristic to 0. The algorithm should behave identically to Dijkstra's and you should still get an optimal path. This may give you some clues with minimal work.

2. Manually track in what order nodes are expanded. You can do this via an visualization (as by Gimym's suggestion) or by simply printing coordinates to stdout or setting breakpoints in a debugger.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic