Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:31:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessKickstarter - Where did I go wrong?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter - Where did I go wrong?  (Read 3732 times)
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »

Here's my opinion (some points already mentioned):

- You are asking for too much for a one-man project that's got out of nowhere.

- You have worked at some game companies, fine, that doesn't mean you can finish and deliver a game as a solo developer, is this your first indie game? if not, show us what you have done before, prove us you can finish this.

- This looks more like a tech demo than a game (I know it probably is) but people shouldn't know that. I only see empty roads, a bit dull and boring, cool graphics and sounds, but doesn't look like a fun game. Add some actual level design and other cars or challenges to your videos and screen shots.

- Your social media posts (as far as I've seen) look a bit egocentric and repetitive, add something describing the gameplay or the creation process, share what have you learned about this experience so far, your background, etc. Not just screenshots.

In a nutshell, you should make people feel you can be trusted (by showing previous experience as an indie developer). Show more about the actual gameplay, graphics and sounds are great, but we need to see this can be fun too. If this is your first indie game you can always put this on hold and finish a smaller project just to get some credibility, I would probably not donate my money to a solo developer who has never finished a game this ambitious, because there's no solid evidence that proves you can finish it. Starting, and even having a demo running, is easy, finishing and delivering is not.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, no offense intended, just trying to be totally honest. Also, don't give up, I've seen projects that don't get it right the first time, but get improved and relaunched until they are successful. This certainly looks promising, so keep fighting to get it funded, good luck!

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »

I agree with a lot of the previous posts.  The asking amount may be a little on the high side, esp. since the shine of KS games has long gone. 

As for the trailer, it is very catchy initially - I love the music!  However as with the other commenters, as it plays out it looks like there's no substance in the game.  If there were other cars, traffic, interesting cities etc.. I think that would make it very interesting. 

Aside from some of these things, a KS campaign also requires a few other things to be arranged ahead of time. 
Here's an article I did for my one:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoeChang/20141117/230163/Postmortem_for_a_Kickstarter_Project_that_just_made_it_over_the_line.php

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »

1,203 backers are currently pledging $32,003 CAD (71.11% of goal). Less than $13,000 CAD to go.

Here are updated graphs for Power Drive 2000:
http://i.imgur.com/ZuLiUb2.png

The campaign has accelerated a lot since the demo's release on May 24th (Dark purple bar). There was a video uploaded by the Super Best Friends Play on May 27th. With so much momentum gained the current run could just get funded. Even if it just missed its goal the chances for a reboot look good.

More backers are occupying the $37 tier than the $24 tier. That is still a bit unusual for that range in the rewards structure. The soundtrack is at the $37 tier and the artists behind it are one of the biggest strengths of the project. It feels like that isn't the only reason. It looks like the $37 tier is also popular because many backers won't upgrade beyond it.

There is a significant drop in the number of backers from the $37 to $50 tier. The $50 tier is for a poster and actually the price is higher than $50 for most backers because most backers aren't Canadian. For U.S. backers they need to pledge $58 ($8 more for shipping) and international backers need to pledge $66 ($16 more for shipping). The $86 tier for the t-shirt has the same situation with shipping. It is not too bad to have such high shipping costs because it is worse to lose money on reward tiers, but many international backers only want digital-only rewards to avoid the hassle of things like customs and U.S. backers are usually the ones that get to pay the least for shipping.

Adding a new tier with digital-only reward content somewhere after the $37 tier could get some backers to shift their pledges up. The hard part can be brainstorming what that content can be such as a Kickstarter-exclusive car skin, getting a custom audio message with C.A.T. reading a line, being told about a secret area/mode/cheatcode, etc. The campaign may get funded without having to insert new reward tiers. Add-on rewards are also an option to consider, but these can make the backer survey more complicated.

Over the last 9 days there have been a good number of Reddit posts from various users. I did not see a post yet on Reddit's /r/kungfury. Kung Fury just released on YouTube, so that could be beneficial timing for this campaign. The moderator of that subreddit could be messaged for approval to post there. There is the option to look into a character cameo put into Power Drive 2000 even if it just a character's voice. Even a retweet from the Kung Fury director could generate a good number of views for the project.

Power Drive 2000 currently looks like it would need a total of about 1,650 backers to reach 100% funded. It is possible to make it, similar campaigns have been able to do 500 backers in the last 48-hours, but it looks like it will be very close. The example often given for how a campaign can come alive near the end is Legend of Iya. For this to happen the backers need to help create a strong social media surge. It is important for the project creator to not go quiet on the final day. It can be okay to post multiple project updates on the last day. In the past some failed campaigns  that were close never posted updates on the final day until they were over. Existing backers who might have upgraded their pledges didn't realize know how much was remaining. Keeping backers aware of how little is left to go can also motivate them to go out and share the project link.

If each current backer upgraded by $10.80 the campaign would be funded. Once that amount drops to $5 per backer a campaign can be fairly confident the fill in the missing funding on the final day.

Good luck.

xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »

keep at it dude! 71 hours to go .. push hard on that pr

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 09:16:27 AM »

Congrats ! Hand Thumbs Up Right
JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »

Can the Pessimistic Petes share what they think a more realistic ask would be?

StrayCatRock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 03:07:41 AM »

Seems like you finally didn't go wrong in the end, congratulations!  Wink

Your latest PR moves gave some results in the French-speaking community.

Visualstorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »

Your latest PR moves gave some results in the French-speaking community.

I would love to know what kind of PR actions were taken, I've been looking at the campaign and how it got funded was kind of sudden and miraculous! Kickstarter never cease to amaze.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 10:42:31 AM »

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 11:35:19 PM »

The demo made a big visibility boost, here in France you got articles or forums posts sharing it on all major gaming websites, congrats! Smiley

DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 08:48:26 AM »

Demos and doing the PR to get them out to the public are a huge part of Kickstarter success these days- I can't see doing a Kickstarter that doesn't have a name attached to it without one Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic