Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:38:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOrganizam: Movement Build (Updated)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Organizam: Movement Build (Updated)  (Read 1236 times)
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2015, 09:22:44 AM »

Hey guys, just finished implementing the organism movement build for my game. The focus of this build is to improve how the main organisms move around. There are 5 different organisms you can choose from to play.

The kind of feedback I am looking for:
  • How does it feel to move around?
  • Aeasthetically, which organism do like the best?
  • How do you like the menu system?

Also, any other feedback is welcome as well. Enjoy! Smiley

Here is the build: http://organizamgame.com/#/play/3
(Updated: Based on feedback, I updated the build to increase the speed of the organisms)
(Note: for some reason, playing it on Chrome does not work for me, but works great on Firefox)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:49:31 PM by Vakey Rujevic » Logged

Currently developing Life Of Sundura. Website | Devblog | Twitter | Tumblr
GuilelessMonk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:31:16 AM »

Visually I like Sundara the best. I like King Odeza but think Sundara looks better in motion. Many of them are hard to see already (Krakatoa and Koto), and I imagine once you start filling the screen with other objects for the player to interact with this problem will get worse.

Movement felt slow, though that might just be that there is nothing to interact with and so there aren't good points of reference. Still, I feel like you could speed them up a bit.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:20:23 AM by GuilelessMonk » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:40:26 AM »

I didn't feel a huge difference with most of them, but Krakatoa was the best because it was bendier, which works well for a long, skinny creature. I agree with GuilelessMonk that faster movement would be nice.

I didn't like any of them as much as the one from your earlier camera test. Not even close. These creatures all remind me too much of Flow (and the similar gameplay doesn't help), whereas the other one felt slightly more original.

I had some deadzone issues, where sometimes the resting position of my left thumbstick made my character face left. A very slight increase in deadzone size (or a deadzone slider in the final game) would probably fix it for me.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 03:48:39 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Really helpful!

Movement felt slow, though that might just be that there is nothing to interact with and so there aren't good points of reference. Still, I feel like you could speed them up a bit.

I agree with GuilelessMonk that faster movement would be nice.

I am with you guys on this one. Created a new build where the organisms are 50% faster. Let me know how that feels:
http://organizamgame.com/#/play/3

I didn't like any of them as much as the one from your earlier camera test. Not even close. These creatures all remind me too much of Flow (and the similar gameplay doesn't help), whereas the other one felt slightly more original.

Do you also like how that one from the Camera Build looks and moves better then the ones in this build? And totally get the similarity with this build and Flow, though I would like to know what it is about these creatures that reminded you of Flow. Is it the aesthetics? The way they move?

For reference and anyone interested in playing the character from the camera build:
http://organizamgame.com/#/play/2
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:49:45 PM by Vakey Rujevic » Logged

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 04:05:21 PM »

Do you also like how that one from the Camera Build looks and moves better then the ones in this build?

Yeah. I liked the less snake-like, sort of "armored" creature style better. It could maybe stand to be a little more flexible, but overall I preferred it to these ones. A short, tough thing with a shield was just cool to me, while these are just long, skinny things that don't look particularly formidable. Thinking of the gameplay in your camera test, I just can't see these ones standing up to that powerful onslaught of projectiles.

I would like to know what it is about these creatures that reminded you of Flow. Is it the aesthetics? The way they move?

It's primarily the snake-like look of the creatures. Practically every creature I remember from Flow has also long and skinny and moved in about the same way. (If I'm remembering right, that is. It's been a while.)

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 11:08:42 AM »

Yeah. I liked the less snake-like, sort of "armored" creature style better. It could maybe stand to be a little more flexible, but overall I preferred it to these ones. A short, tough thing with a shield was just cool to me, while these are just long, skinny things that don't look particularly formidable. Thinking of the gameplay in your camera test, I just can't see these ones standing up to that powerful onslaught of projectiles.

Thanks for elaborating on that. I with you on the short, tough thing with a shield is just cool to me as well. I definitely want to take the main character in that direction. However, I do want different types of organisms in the game and this build was to focus on experimenting with different types of organisms and improve the games movement physics of the organisms. I plan to take the little guy from the earlier build and redo him with improved movements and and a better looking body.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »

I plan to take the little guy from the earlier build and redo him with improved movements and and a better looking body.

Been working on the main character and have made a lot of progress. Here is an update of what the main character will look like. Would love some feedback on what you guys think of him:

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 04:07:56 PM »

Well, it looks tougher than the ones in the movement test, so that's good. I'm not a huge fan of it, though. What I liked about the earlier one was that it looked like it had armor plates. This one comes across to me more like a spotted creature than an armored creature.

Its head and tail look pretty good, though, and the turning radius seems good. I'm a little torn on its "nose" (or is that an eye? I hope it's an eye).

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 03:01:57 PM »

Well, it looks tougher than the ones in the movement test, so that's good. I'm not a huge fan of it, though. What I liked about the earlier one was that it looked like it had armor plates. This one comes across to me more like a spotted creature than an armored creature.

Its head and tail look pretty good, though, and the turning radius seems good. I'm a little torn on its "nose" (or is that an eye? I hope it's an eye).

Nope, it's a nose. Thanks for the thoughts on this one. Going to move forward with this design for now. But probably will revisit him when I begin to flesh out the growing mechanics of this organism.

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 02:01:28 AM »

I like how it looks, very organic. Like a small translucent fish with spots.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic