Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:15:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA Vengeful Spirit (Scaring simulator)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Vengeful Spirit (Scaring simulator)  (Read 810 times)
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2015, 10:52:04 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen, wellcome to my devlog!

Just to put you in situation I will explain my background a bit:

I'm a 19 years old gamedev that's aspiring to making his own games and make it for a living. For the last year and a half I have been working on some freelance game projects and also collaborating on a few teams, been "making" games from my 13 years old, and always had a passion for this.

I am here to talk to you about "A Vengeful Spirit", which takes the horror games to a new genre (I'd call it a scaring simulator).

You have the power to build places, houses, cementeries, mansions, whatever is in your mind! On the other hand, people will start coming around your place, and you'll have to scare them while you also improve/expand your place.

I'm currently working on this full-time for this month, let's see how far it gets and I will try to get through Steam Greenlight once I feel like it (probably soon).

So, as I said what makes this game unique is the fact that you are the evil who scares people. This game expects imagination and creativity to pop out off you, create anything that's in your head and get people lost (or dead) inside the place. The more people that survive without being scared, the less power you'll have, that in the meaning of not being able to build huge places and spend power on fancy things like triggers that take the AI to hidden places where they will starve.

There's also an interesting fact in the game, it is the changing state of ambientation your place will have, and will be driven by the emotions of its guests, meaning that if you start killing people for fun your place will have a deadly mood so no more people will appear around the zone ever, forcing you to restart and think what you've done wrong and get the place running with careful decisions.

If your place starts building up enough popularity, different kind of persons will visit it, just to give you an example, you could be visited by someone who's job is making Paranormal Documentaries, they will not be scared so easily and depending on how is the place built and the mood you've accomplished that person will make your popularity and power go straight down so it will feel like a joke instead of a real haunted place.

And like that, I'm thinking on adding a lot of people variation, so that makes the game feel more real and difficult!

I don't have too much to show for now, but I'm going to leave you with the testing intro that I have worked for the game (anything is subject to change!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZwlZ2FtMDA&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:20:54 AM by devMidgard » Logged
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 07:36:31 PM »

Hey gentlemen!

A lot has been done over these days, starting by building a solid game mode system so we can shift between normal and building modes, also added some decoration items and walls! It's looking real good so far, also started on coding the Power & Mood stats for your haunted places!

Going to explain how everything works:

As you can see, there's a stat for Power and for Mood. These are critical for the place you set up, either if you run out of power or have too normal-feeling mood (or too deadly) you'll have to start again!

Once people start coming, you'll gain power for each reaction they have, normal reactions will give you a small amount of power (ranged less than 100 hundred - while most items cost is greater than 65 power each), while scary reactions will give you a lot of it. Reactions will also affect the mood/ambientation, as it's all people-driven.

Mood can be a great thing if you learn how to balance it, going to also explain that, but first let me list you all the mood status I've got on right now:

- Normal
- Scary
- Paranomal
- Horror
- Deadly

Normal being the weakest mood (people will appear not so often), and with Deadly being the top of the top (people will appear really rarely, because you're place is TOO scary).

The ideal thing would be to shift between Scary, Paranormal & Horror depending on how big your place is, and on how much power you're going to need to improve or expand the place, because if you're not careful, your starting little place could be visited by a lot of people, and when there are so much people it's harder to scare them, as they're in group and support each other, even make jokes to lower your mood status and make the place less scary!

The Mood can be easily increased by killing people around your place, and making a path to its corpse so other people "accidentally" visit them and go tell everyone that they saw a dead person over your place. But if you abuse, your place will not be visited and you'll loose power.

Because power drains over time, it's not eternal, and you need to feed it with fresh souls. Oh, forgot to mention it. When you kill someone you'll have their soul as a item you can place, these souls can be told to wander around so they scare even more people.

And to end I'm going to leave you with a screenshot of a really simple place I built in a minute, or so. Nothing big, nothing fancy, but something Wink

Have a nice day. I'll probably come back in a few days with a song track a friend is composing for this, so excited for that!

Onto coding AI I go! It's about time  Cheesy
Yale
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 01:17:05 AM »

Looks like this could be a really fun game, keep at it! One thing I would say (or question) is that it's not going to be a horror game if the player isn't being scared, that's kind of the whole point of horror as a genre. What kind of a game do you want it to be? Is it going to be a fast paced time-management kinda thing? More slow paced and puzzley?

Loving the effects on the building pathways too!
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 06:13:13 AM »

Looks like this could be a really fun game, keep at it! One thing I would say (or question) is that it's not going to be a horror game if the player isn't being scared, that's kind of the whole point of horror as a genre. What kind of a game do you want it to be? Is it going to be a fast paced time-management kinda thing? More slow paced and puzzley?

Loving the effects on the building pathways too!

Hi, thanks for commenting!

Indeed, I'd definitely not catalog this as an 'horror game' but as a 'horror simulation' or 'scaring simulation' game. The game is going to be a fast paced management game where you only achieve resources by scaring people  Tongue

I'm going to clarify that on the first post now  Grin
BailsBach10
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 06:27:07 AM »

Hello, this looks like a very new-genre game. Are you interested in some trailer help? I've had 3 years experience in trailer design, especially in horror trailers. Most of my 'film-work' was submitted to school or University as small projects. If you are interested, reply back on the comment/email me at [email protected] OR add me on skype at 'morgan.bailey75' and I will reply as soon as possible. I don't work for money, as long as I get credit in the description on YouTube or something similar. I'm able to work for you full time making trailers if need be. Thanks again, good luck with your project. I hope I can be apart of it some day! :D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic