Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:46:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat is the best religion and the best anime
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: What is the best religion and the best anime  (Read 4164 times)
jiitype
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2015, 06:42:33 AM »

Join Suomenusko and praise Ukko!
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2015, 07:06:40 AM »

I also think anyone who might make such a claim hasn't thought through the implications of their own beliefs, because to do so should invariably lead to utter despair in their futility. Whenever I've heard advocates of this world view speak, they always happen to include certain 'hopes' and 'values' right after nullifying the capacity of such metaphysical concepts in arguing for pointless existence
It's possible to think long and hard and arrive at determinism and nihilism and find it's a dead end of existential terror. It's not weird to know it rationally but still act as if anything has value just to stay sane. It's intellectually dishonest perhaps but it's better than the alternative.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2015, 07:25:20 AM »

I know a lot of people claim they live for nothing and will be happy to simply no longer exist when they die, but I think if you searched how they live, it would tell a story of someone devoted to something, even if that something was themselves or it could even be their identity in believing a godless ideology.
The more interesting question is, why are you devoted to prove that they are devoted to something.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2015, 07:29:47 AM »

I wasn't even talking about being afraid of life being meaningless. Why is that considered such a scary thought?

I was more thinking along the lines of hopelessness in a hopeless and foul world where heinous acts are societal norms that nobody bats an eye at, and feeling helpless – not afraid of meaninglessness, which I can't see why people find so scary.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2015, 07:34:12 AM »

BTW those thought that lead to despair is typical of individualistic society, it's rather common outside that, where the self importance is not as much an ideals

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2015, 07:35:59 AM »

Prinsessa this is 4 u

(it's about the overwhelming terror at the realization that there's really nothing, and expresses it very beautifully imo)

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2015, 07:42:34 AM »

I wasn't even talking about being afraid of life being meaningless. Why is that considered such a scary thought?

I was more thinking along the lines of hopelessness in a hopeless and foul world where heinous acts are societal norms that nobody bats an eye at, and feeling helpless – not afraid of meaninglessness, which I can't see why people find so scary.

Yeah, exactly, most things we do are meaningless anyway, what difference does it make to you whether there is god or a soul when you are taking a walk in the park, listening to music, playing games or whatever it is you enjoy doing.

BTW those thought that lead to despair is typical of individualistic society, it's rather common outside that, where the self importance is not as much an ideals

I think it comes rather naturally to humans - being hung up on our own ego and feeling individualistic. But still eastern cultures seem to have much less of a problem with that, at least judging by their philosophy.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2015, 07:56:47 AM »

Prinsessa this is 4 u

(it's about the overwhelming terror at the realization that there's really nothing, and expresses it very beautifully imo)

Praise the sun!

Yeah, exactly, most things we do are meaningless anyway, what difference does it make to you whether there is god or a soul when you are taking a walk in the park, listening to music, playing games or whatever it is you enjoy doing.

I think it comes rather naturally to humans - being hung up on our own ego and feeling individualistic. But still eastern cultures seem to have much less of a problem with that, at least judging by their philosophy.

Only if you are part of the WEIRD world (western educated industrialized rich democratic)

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2015, 08:02:39 AM »

Prinsessa this is 4 u

I can't listen to anything with this much artificial hypercorrection.

But I read the lyrics. I don't get the connection. Isn't this more about losing people? Not beautiful to me in the least either. Sorry. Epileptic

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2015, 08:03:15 AM »

dum
Prinsessa this is 4 u

Praise the sun!
You don't have to preach it. I'm from a culture where this is literally what we practice.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2015, 08:06:03 AM »

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2015, 08:09:34 AM »

You don't have to preach it. I'm from a culture where this is literally what we practice.
they*

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2015, 08:10:56 AM »

warning, meme potential right there

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2015, 08:16:24 AM »

this is literally me

#onlymmfanswillunderstand

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2015, 08:35:57 AM »

they*
I guess "what is practised" would work but I don't see the point of being all impersonal when I actually identify with it strongly.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2015, 09:14:20 AM »

they*
I guess "what is practised" would work but I don't see the point of being all impersonal when I actually identify with it strongly.
I didn't think nerds did identify with that. Sad

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2015, 09:24:50 AM »

gilmore girls
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2015, 10:15:02 AM »

Prinsessa this is 4 u

Praise the sun!

Only if you are part of the WEIRD world (western educated industrialized rich democratic)

I think that the association between nhilistic anxiety and western educated industralized etc society is an extreme over generalization. You cand find these things on works of art of different contexts, like Macbeth monologue ("life is just a walking shadown, etc") ancient greek epic and tragedy works, gods are indifferent to human sufferning, and Job monologues, I shouldnt have been born, god should send me to sheol, etc. I think is more related to our inability to cope with loss and suffering than anything else. (pseudophilosopher mode off) 
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »

You can't be more in the basis of WEIRD than greek judeo christian foundation you are naming, you aren't proving it wrong. Try nirvana, maya, etc ... as concept from other cultures.

Also reflected in some mental illness like schizophrenia which tend to have dark overtone in WEIRD country but mundane in other, WEIRD Schizo tend to hear violent thoughts but other hear things like plea to make ... mundane chore ... what does this tell us about our society?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2015, 10:28:36 AM »

fresh prince
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic