Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:00:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCINQUEDEA - Updated trailer and Steam Greenlight submission!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: CINQUEDEA - Updated trailer and Steam Greenlight submission!  (Read 3835 times)
HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 12, 2015, 03:07:05 AM »

First devlog ever, yay me!

So this is a fast paced game I am making with help from a close friend, with focus on action-based gameplay and cute, minimal graphics. It first started as a challenge for me in order to learn to code planet gravity like physics and well, it ended up being fun!

Screenshot #1

Screenshot #2

The objective of the game is to touch as many planets as possible before dying to awful creatures. You control a cute animal character and a sharp blade at the same time. The blade can both protect and kill the character, so players need to keep attention at all times to avoid... disasters.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:35:03 PM by HopFrog » Logged

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 03:08:17 AM »

Some gameplay GIFs (low FPS):

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 03:09:35 AM »

Early concept art progression:

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 03:12:01 AM »

And some character art:

I am thinking of having several playable characters. You always need to score a certain number to reach new unlocks (Inspired by games like Super Crate Box), and throughout every playthrough you get a random one from the available pool.

I really want them to have special passive abilities or different properties. For now, everyone just seems to be the same.

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »

This is looking beautiful you guys!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 12:35:52 AM »

Thanks! At first I was going for the Nintendo-ish look, with cute graphics and compelling childish sounds. Things pretty much evolved from there to what is now because my artist can only work with vector-like graphics, so we tried using that as a strength. I still have to get almost all the audio though.

It was originally a whole different thing...

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 03:48:51 AM »

I am having some trouble deciding which system should I use to allow the players to unlock new characters.

The first option is the regular "Score X to unlock a new character!" text everytime the player dies, so he/she knows they can jump right into the action and maybe secure the prize.

The second choice would be to use a sort of shop using a special currency. We made these crystals for this option:

The gem system is a good idea in the sense that it also works as a mechanic to force the players to move a lot when playing. Often, newbies will stand still and just control the blade because multi-tasking proves to be too hard/unintuitive now. By placing gem close to the players they have to actively move and jump to grab them, which in return gives a small satisfaction due to the difficulty of the movement mechanics.

Another good thing of the gem system is that it allows players to feel accomplished with a run even if they do not reach a highscore. "Died kinda quickly, but I least I got 2 gems!"

If I happen to go for this particular system, I will proceed to look up into shop menus. I think I still want the randomness when getting new characters though.

I like the way Crossy Road does the new character unlock thing

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 04:11:21 AM »

That looks very cool! Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:47:42 AM »

Thanks!  Smiley

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 08:14:31 AM »

Love the graphics and bright colors!

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 02:14:35 AM »

A quick look at our earliest planet concepts...

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 12:41:48 PM »

My partner has been doing some work on a new banner, for twitter purposes and whatnot!

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 03:49:37 AM »

We made some progress on the character unlock system. When dying, you are shown this screen in the aftermath:

And while playing, this message might come up:

Please disregard the fact that in the image I've unlocked a character that I was already playing with  Waaagh!

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 11:36:17 PM »

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 08:32:26 AM »

We did some experiments with the game logo over the weekend. Still not convinced though, but I think a more detailed version like this new one might look better than the old flat colored logo.  Shrug

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 09:47:50 AM »

Oh this looks adorable. And hyperactive, like a colourful candy sugar bomb.

I love the Shocked blank stares of the main characters, I don't know if "shellshocked" was what you were going for but it feels apt. I know I would feel that way if I was flung around mini-planets Tongue
HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »

You got it all right, lol.

They (The characters), don't even know what's going on.

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 09:36:14 PM »

Possible final promotional banner:

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 03:54:57 AM »

Video update and new Greenlight campaign!  Beer!

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 01:34:40 PM »

Hey everyone!!

Just thought I would drop by and share that I've been working on the music & sound design for Cinquedea over the past couple of months now and it's been great fun!

Due to the Steam Greenlight announcement I have decided to upload a short preview of one of the tracks that will be heard in-game, which you can listen to here:

https://soundcloud.com/meremonkey/cinquedea-music-preview

Would love to hear your thoughts on it!

Can't wait until you guys get a chance to play it, I've had mornings were I should've been working on more music for the game, but instead I was on the pc in the other room playing it haha. With that said if you think it's the kind of game you would also enjoy playing, we would greatly appreciate it if you gave us a vote on Steam.

That's all from me for now, take care!  Coffee

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic