Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:29:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessCreating a Pixel-Perfect Trailer?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Creating a Pixel-Perfect Trailer?  (Read 1012 times)
HopelessComposer
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:06:09 AM »

This might belong in Technial or something, so sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
Basically, I'm ramping up to my game's Kickstarter, and I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to record my gameplay. Right now, I just have my game saving the screen every frame, and then I'm trying to compile all those images into videos. This would be fine, except my game is an SNES styled ARPG, and whenever I convert to video, all the pixel art ends up looking muddy.

I'm just wondering if anyone who's already taken video of their games through any method has any advice for me to capture razor-sharp video for my Kickstarter. Pixel art doesn't look very good when it's all blurred together and jpeg artifact-y.

Thanks for the help, guys. =)
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:45:10 AM »

You'll probably want to feed upscaled footage into your video compressor. If it still doesn't look good, try increasing the data rate.

HopelessComposer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:47:11 PM »

Upscaling first is a smart idea I hadn't thought of. Any advice for a program to cleanly convert images to video, though? I found one random one whose name escapes me (I'll edit later at home), but there doesn't seem to be much out there.
Edit: The program I used was called, fittingly enough, ImageToVideo, hahah.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:00:28 PM by HopelessComposer » Logged
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »

I think you can feed a directory full of images to ffmpeg somehow and get it to encode them into a video. ffmpeg's command line options are a nightmare to figure out, but if you can find the right invocation it can usually do the job you want. There are probably better free/cheap options, but I don't know them offhand - I use Sony Vegas for most of my video editing, but that might be too big an investment just for one trailer.

HopelessComposer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:02:11 PM »

Thanks, ThemsAll. I'll look into ffmpeg's options tomorrow, and see how that pans out.
I'll still happily take other suggestions in the meantime, too, though.
xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 05:48:55 AM »

hey hopeless, for this video:

we just used fraps .. seemed to work nicely

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
HopelessComposer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 08:10:21 AM »

...I'm an asshole. Figures the most well-known, often-used solution is the last one I try. Thanks for the advice, xier - Fraps works beautifully. I heard way back it was laggy and terrible, so I tried dxtory instead, which actually was laggy and terrible for me. So of course, I thought "well, I heard Fraps is even worse!" and completely ignored it as an option.

...Anyway, thanks. Fraps it is, hahah! =)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:45:07 AM by HopelessComposer » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic