Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:34:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBeneath The Tower! [Squad-based roguelike and tactics]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Beneath The Tower! [Squad-based roguelike and tactics]  (Read 16357 times)
mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2015, 02:30:40 PM »

Beneath The Tower is a squad-based roguelike, where you need to manage your party, find loot, explore procedurally generated levels and fight your way through populated them creatures.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 07:05:37 AM by mk » Logged

crbonilha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »

Nice work with the camera flow on the world map.

I hope to hear more about this game Wink
Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 01:00:03 AM »

Looks really cool dude!
Can't wait to see more ^^

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 11:52:53 AM »

Thanks, glad to hear that!

Here you can see the battle part in action + current ui.

mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »

Changed overlay tiles a little. Blue - move. Orange - use dash(move, but use 1 energy). Red frame - attack range.

Played around with appearing effect for them. Not sure which variant is better. Stopped on the first one for now.

Turn order ui:

rjcade
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 03:11:03 PM »

I like the first one better.  I like how it flows out from your current spot.  The second one feels like "too much" in my opinion.

Looking great so far!
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 03:24:27 PM »

Oh fuck yes. This looks cool.  Gentleman

Is there a percentage of chance to hit that I'm seeing?
I hate random chance in turn based games Tongue
I hope you make it work well!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:30:43 PM by Octopus Tophat » Logged

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »

@rjcade, thanks! I'll go with the first one.

@Octopus Tophat, yeah... guilty  Ninja
Units have health(red number above the unit) and armor(blue). Skills against armor will always hit. But hit chance of skills against health is based on position. If you higher than your target - you'll get hit-bonus, and if you're lower - you'll get hit-penalty. So far works well, hehe.

Here's ehm... "combo". Change places(cost energy) with the enemy to get better hit chance.

Tried 1px overlay tiles. Turned out ~meh.
Also changed font of health on bars to smaller one. Hopefully it's not too small.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:56:30 AM by mk » Logged

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 11:27:58 AM »

So wait, does the chance to hit increase when above your target, or is it the damage that increases?  I'm trying to think of ways you could get away from the random chance stuff, but I need to understand more of the mechanics first.

Will there also be different terrain types? You could make different terrain types have a different amount of defense, like in advance wars, which could make the game a lot more interesting. Anything regarding the placement of your characters can add a lot of depth to the game. Like collectable items on tiles, tiles to capture for some kind of bonus, etc.

I'm just super excited about this game, so I'm coming up with a lot of ideas.
One of my ideas for a game to make was a roguelike advance wars, and this is pretty close to that. So I'll just watch you make it and see how it turns out instead of making it myself Tongue

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 12:33:27 PM »

This looks cool. I like the idea of dual gameplay map + field battle.
Good job :D

PrimeVest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 02:38:53 PM »

wow that looks fun to play! I wonder how the other enemies will look like

I like the first one better.  I like how it flows out from your current spot.  The second one feels like "too much" in my opinion.

Looking great so far!

I agree with having the first one. When its flowing out it is also more clear to the player what these things indicate

mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 04:55:54 AM »

@Igor Sandman, thanks!

@PrimeVest, good point. As for enemies(and units) - the current ones are from the other game as placeholders.

@Octopus Tophat, first one, - only chance to hit increases.
It's a bit more similar to Fire Emblem mechanics, than advance wars. Smiley

* Units have move points(blue overlay tiles). Going up the hill cost more than moving on the same height or going down
* If you're above your target you'll get significant hit bonus against unit health
* If you're below your target you'll get significant hit penalty against unit health
* Hit chance against armor is always successful
* Actual damage = damage - target's armor.
* And actual damage against armor = damage against armor.

So, in long shot you need to try to get as little health damage as possible.

Will there also be different terrain types? You could make different terrain types have a different amount of defense
Height difference between tiles already a little similar to that. You need to take good position, etc. to get a better hit or lower hit chance of the enemy instead.
But yeah, I thought of different terrain types, which can affect movement cost for example.

I'm trying to think of ways you could get away from the random chance stuff, but I need to understand more of the mechanics first.
I wanted to make it deterministic at first, but it was a bit dull.
Also, it's not the only random stuff in there.  Ninja There's also poison, that hurts unit as the turns go, and acid(or better corrosion?) that destroys armor points. Chance of applying those effects are random.

I'm just super excited about this game, so I'm coming up with a lot of ideas. One of my ideas for a game to make was a roguelike advance wars, and this is pretty close to that.
Really glad to hear that! And I would love to hear them.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:25:58 AM by mk » Logged

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 05:28:02 AM »

Alright man, you've convinced me. It sounds like you have things under control. I wish you the best of luck. I'm really looking forward to it!  Beer!

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 08:07:57 AM »

I really like all that smooth tween and blend effects in combination with pixel graphics! Looks great! Smiley

mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 09:27:40 PM »

Thanks guys!

Working on attack effects. Blood, swings and knockback after getting hit.

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »

Oh wow, I'm like massively into this. Looks really nice! I've been craving a good SRPG for a long time now... (I'm so Fire Emblem deprived ;~;)

By the way, have you got music already?

mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 04:56:15 AM »

@Ashedragon, thank you! No music and sfx yet. And it's a bit early for them I think.

Another gif:

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 06:12:34 PM »

I really like how you've done the mechanics here, it's nice. Do you have any direction or goals for this project yet?

Zanetski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 08:19:19 PM »

Really digging the art style of this game. It's so alive, I can hear the gifs.
mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 07:18:08 AM »

Thanks guys!

I really like how you've done the mechanics here, it's nice. Do you have any direction or goals for this project yet?
You mean victory-conditions like? The world divided on "floors", so short-goal will be finding a way to the next "floor".
And long-term goal will be fighting a big bad I guess. Plot wise - still figuring it out. Wink
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:23:33 AM by mk » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic