Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:52:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingIMFB
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: IMFB  (Read 816 times)
SpockvsData
Level 0

Jet Drift Studio

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »

Hello Everyone!

I would love some feedback on my latest release with my friend, soap as Jet Drift Studio.

Our first game IMFB is a short puzzle-platformer based around classics like Super Monkey Ball.

I am looking for general gameplay criticism, tips for improving the games playability, and feedback on the visuals of our game.

Our game build can be downloaded at this link: http://jet-drift.itch.io/imfb

Requires Unity, and should run on almost any computer.

Here are some visuals:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:40:04 AM by SpockvsData » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:24:33 PM »

Appealing graphics, nice music and decent control, but I absolutely hate the camera.

-I couldn't tell how slanted the floor was because of the camera position, so I could only rely on the ball's movement to judge things.

-I dropped off a cliff blindly because the camera was so low that I couldn't see what was past the platform I was on.

-The biggest issue I had was that the camera didn't stay put. I rolled the ball along a path and then suddenly the camera rotated 90 degrees without warning, throwing me off completely.

-I reoriented myself and rolled the ball down another path only to have it fall off because I couldn't tell how sloped the ground was at all. I was annoyed enough that I closed the game and decided to focus on writing about my issues for a while before giving it another shot.

For attempt #2, I used my gamepad instead, wondering if maybe it'd control better. It was worse for some reason. The camera changed its direction every time I did anything. I narrowly avoided letting it fall off one edge only to have the camera spin around while I was tilting the world and shoot the ball off into the sky. The camera shouldn't be changing what my input does while I'm still pushing the stick/key. I encountered multiple situations where the camera would swing around 180 degrees and suddenly the same action that was slowing my ball was tilting in the opposite direction and speeding it toward its doom.

To be clear, I like the speed at which the world tilts based on my input, just not the way the camera reacts to it.

I think all my problems with the game would be solved by three adjustments:

-Give the player camera control.

-Let the player also zoom in and out at will.

-Lock the camera in place at whatever angle and distance the player sets it to.

One other thing that I should probably mention is that the title doesn't really stick in my head at all. Without knowing what it stands for (if anything), it's just a string of letters that mean nothing to me.

In terms of the visuals, I think they're pretty nice. I'm not a huge fan of this sort of "everything looks the same" style, but it works all right for this genre of game. I do think it would be good if the various levels had some variety, though. Maybe different floor colors or something. Also on the subject of floors, I'm not sure how I feel about the orange flecks. They look a bit weird to me, but I guess they're not terrible. They just don't really seem to add anything to the visual appeal of the game.

I was very relieved that I could finish levels without having to collect everything, but I still "rage-quit" (not really rage, just lack of enjoyment because of the frustrating camera) when I was right next to the exit of level 2 and suddenly sped off to the side because of a camera change.

Maybe the camera is just meant to be part of the challenge, but I can't stand it. That said, I'm not a huge fan of these sorts of games and I've never played Super Monkey Ball, so I'm probably not the best person to get feedback on this game from. Hopefully someone else will try it out.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:47:40 PM by Quicksand-S » Logged

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 01:28:32 AM »

I haven't tried this yet, but I would leave away the collectable squares, so the focus is purely on the level and it's challenges, not squares at boring places. Or: alot less collectables at hard (and rewarding) to get places.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic