Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:46:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat are some typical sales conversion rates in steam?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What are some typical sales conversion rates in steam?  (Read 5202 times)
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2015, 03:48:47 PM »

Hey Guys,
We've just released our game Phantasmal on Steam Early Access: http://store.steampowered.com/app/342550/

To date we've had about 60k page views but around 500 sales, which gives us a conversion of 0.8%.  It seems pretty bad, but I can't find many comparisons via google.

Does anyone know what typical conversion rates are? 

Also for the guys who have games on steam, what have you found to be most effective in increasing this rate?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 04:00:08 PM »

Early Access!
Conversion rate for early access will always be bad. just logic.

Unless you put zombies in it.

Hate towards Early Access games is getting higher and higher.

You should just promote your game. I see Early Access as a crowfunding system. At least you pay for something you get to play directly.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:06:31 PM by bakkusa » Logged
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »

Yeah, I think the shine of EA wore out a while ago.  There are a select few games that are caning it in EA though, e.g. Darkest Dungeon, Kerbal, The Forest, etc...

Promotions aren't the problem - we've had seemingly good page views, it's the conversion to sales that appears to be the issue at the moment.

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:34:50 AM »

I'm interested in learning more about this myself as i'm doing research into it.  Hope it's ok that I resurrect this thread in the hopes that someone else might reply?

I'd also be interested to hear from OP whether or not sales have picked up.  The 500 start doesn't seem too shabby if it's assumed that there's a steady trickle pf purchases as the game nears completion.

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 06:02:54 AM »

Well, I did a little more Google sleuthing

This article on gamasutra would seem to indicate that your conversion rate is relatively high already, and all you need is more actual views to your steam page.  The quote conversion to click percentage of 0.26%.  Although I'm not sure of terminology so I may be misunderstanding this.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/BurakTezateser/20140717/220624/Dynamics_of_Steam_as_a_Sales_Platform.php

This post by Cliff of Positech Games is a little daunting, with lots of numbers thrown about.  But the bottom line is that his conversion rates on his own website seem to be pretty high (+10%).  It doesn't entirely answer your question, but interesting nevertheless.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/BurakTezateser/20140717/220624/Dynamics_of_Steam_as_a_Sales_Platform.php

DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »

Conversion rates, as you see in the other post, vary immensely by how targeted the traffic landing on your page is. That is to say: While you are on the steam front page your conversion rates will be significantly lower than when you are not (but your sales will be significantly higher).

It's really REALLY important to get apples to apples comparisons or you'll be playing with bad data. So you need to be finding not only other people's conversion rates for the same action (IE: Landing on your steam page) but ALSO data that matches the same set of circumstances that bring them there (IE: A front page feature, a big youtube promo, or just residual no-promotion traffic etc).

The old industry standard for "general traffic" is 1% or higher and you're in good shape. So .8% isn't too far off, but it is 20% below average, so it also isn't great. That's about as general as I can make it and it such a rough rule of the thumb it isn't worth much, so don't put much stock in it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic