Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411422 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:06:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)I'm considering calling an artist to help with my project
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I'm considering calling an artist to help with my project  (Read 925 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2015, 12:32:47 AM »

Hi all

I'd like some opinions on this matter. I have this project (see signature) that requires a lot of pixel art. I can more or less make pixel art that doesn't look too offensive to the eye but it takes me soooooo much time to get anything done. Frequently I find myself remaking old sprites, because when I try to hasten the process it turns out shitty as hell. At this pace this project will never end. I'm usually ok with pushing the art for later but the code for this project is almost completely done, the level design is progressing super fast so the art is lagging way behind everything else.

Getting help was the first thing that went through my mind but that is something I didn't want to do besides getting someone to do the music. Getting more people is always complicated. If it's a purely hobby project it's easy, just ask for other hobbyists interested in joining efforts etc. If it's completely commercial then it's less simple but still straight forward, make a contract and pay the artist. But I'm doing this as a hobby with intentions of selling the game, if the final quality supports it.

So, should I bite the bullet and just soldier through the art myself or what? Surely, this must be a common problem with game developers here. If not art, code or music etc.

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 06:35:08 PM »

I guess the question is how far along you are in the game?  If you're maybe halfway or 3/4 done I'd say you should just keep going on your own (I clicked on the sig and your pixel art looks fine) but if you're still at the beginning then you can look at getting an artist onboard.

Working for fun on a hobby project can be a tough sell to an artist.  I've never done it myself just for economic considerations, but why not just put up a post looking for artists and see if anyone answers the call?

RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 07:27:27 PM »

Why did you choose pixel art vs. another style?

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:25:08 PM »

Two things: I love it and It's faster to create content. That's not to say it's easier! I come from a 3d background, worked as a freelancer for a while and all, so I have more experience in that medium. But even more experienced in 3d, it would take much more time to do things than using pixel art.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »

I guess the question is how far along you are in the game?  If you're maybe halfway or 3/4 done I'd say you should just keep going on your own (I clicked on the sig and your pixel art looks fine) but if you're still at the beginning then you can look at getting an artist onboard.

Working for fun on a hobby project can be a tough sell to an artist.  I've never done it myself just for economic considerations, but why not just put up a post looking for artists and see if anyone answers the call?

It's hard to say how far I am in general. In the art department I'm definitely less than 20% done. You know what could really help, instead of a pixel artist? a concept artist. I could work a lot faster with a good direction from someone with a good eye. But I already searched for concept artist and no one showed any interest.

RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:13:49 PM »

Two things: I love it and It's faster to create content.

It's really not fast to draw each pixel by hand.  Skeletal 2D is much faster.  Consider it if you want to finish your game faster.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 10:26:48 PM »

Skeletal 2D is much faster.  Consider it if you want to finish your game faster.

I never considered 2d skeletal animation. It might be, thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep this in mind. However, animated character, as complex and time consuming as they are, comprise a small fraction of the game's assets.

ArtByElde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 11:38:22 PM »

Skeletal is alot faster, but it has to be done with alittle planning, if you want the characters to not look like totalt papercut dolls.

I havea  small example here if u wanna see, these little guys are handpainted by me,and animated, but not skeletal even, just simple modular animation in Unity. They only have 4 parts on their body total, mbut fast animations kinda hide that,along with some clever programming making them react to their current direction they are traveling (tilting heads up and down etc)

Its for mogbile also, so we cant really go full banana sandiwch on the game either, we'll save that for PC:P

"Artwork is the only MMO i play, endless content and no levelcap"
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 02:30:35 AM »

Your pixel art is good and the way it's animated is good. I won't recommend you to switch to skeletal, no matter what you'll lose the charm of your game as it is right now. 

Soldier through the art yourself. Most of the time it's lack of confidence that turns art into something bad.
Maybe just hire someone for the backgrounds?

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 05:03:42 PM »

Thank you Smiley I guess I have to do it myself then. A concept artist would be of tremendous help but I've been unsuccessful in finding one before, I doubt I'll succeed now.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic