Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:29:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Million Character Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Million Character Game  (Read 980 times)
Posho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:11:27 AM »

Yep, that's a lot of characters.

What is The Million Character Game?
It is a game where you can play from an excesively large amount of characters which are submitted by players of the game.

How can I make a character for The Million Character Game?
For the moment it is pretty bad, but you can submit a character you've created on the game's forum, which also includes a tutorial on character creation.

Where can I play the game?
Because of its renewal, the newest version is not avaliable to be played yet, however, you can play the old, crappy versions of the game on IndieDB

Lastest news:
May 17, 2015: I'm Not Dead!
Apr 01, 2014: Copyright Problems
Dec 30, 2013: Happy New Year!
Dec 07, 2013: I Don't Know
Sep 02, 2013: Some Quick News

Recent images:

Version 0.6 Checklist:
  • Sprinting animation
  • Rearrange character listings
  • Actual enemy killing
  • Bring back the Bit Drops

The Million Character Game is a game that began as some sort of joke: back in 2011, after seeing so many fake Super Smash Bros. rosters that had a ridiculous ammount of impossible characters, my friends and I decided to make a small game that could have an enormous amount of characters of all types on a short game jam. The result was well received by players, but now I'm hoping to finish the game and bring a (way) better experience of what the old prototype was.

[IndieDB page]
[Blog]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:05:56 PM by TheGreenTie » Logged

Developer & Cartoonist
[Twitter]
Posho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:23:17 AM »

After so much time being an user in TIGforums, I'm finally gonna show off one of my recent projects in here. I don't know why I kept this as a secret for so long. Well, here it is:

Some background: this is a game that has been in development for a long time, only shown on IndieDB along with its previous builds, what I'm about to show you is a completely new version of the game made from scratch. The whole progress archive of the past versions is on IndieDB

I know I've broken some sort of game developer golden rule, which is "do not start your game from scratch" but the current mechanics and organizing was, well, shit. But now the game is technically in high resolution, runs on 60fps, we've got a few automatic camera angles and some fake light shaders, seems about right for now.
I've got Cha-Cha and Garbodor for placeholders --don't ask me why-- but they work fine for now.

Oh kids, for the first time we're gonna have a basic enemy AI. I've aslo added a revolutionary, ground-breaking new feature: double jumping. I've been trying to think about new ways to make the game more fun, so I tought that maybe it would be a good idea to make the whole mobility better, much (much) faster and with a lot more possibilites.

Speaking of fast, you can now sprint! Oh, and in case you haven't noticed it on the GIF, I've made an actual new thing. As someone who has grown with home consoles, and more specifically game controllers, there's something that has always being bugging me. Have you noticed how all game controllers make their directional sticks to be controlled using your left hand and the action buttons with your right hand, while PC games traditionally do this the other way around having to play with the arrow keys using your right hand? If you see the past two images, you can see the cursor clicking, I've made an alternative control scheme that can be played by using the WASD keys to move and the two mouse buttons as action buttons. To me, it feels way more natural than the previous scheme (arrow keys + Z and X), so I'll keep testing this and hopefully it will bring a more fluid experience for players like me.

Awwh yeah, battle mechanics. Just like the previous version of the game, you could shoot at enemies, with the bullet sprite and color changing depending on the character being used. This would be a "Shoot" attack, again, just like the previous version of the game.

Now here's something a bit more interesting. While doing the previous versions of the game I promised different attacks depending on the character; here's an example of a "Swing" attack. I forgot to record it in the GIFs, but you can now attack upwards and downwards, which I think will add a lot of possibilities to the game. Additionally, I'm planning on giving each character up to three different attacks depending on the input. Multiple character inclusion will be added soon, along with multiple mechanic updates.

Usually at this point of the post I'd be saying something insanely cheesy or cringeworthy to make you download the game, but there's no demo for now, not until the game is playable in some way; we can still have our traditional change log, though.

Change Log = TL;DR

Version 0.1
New:
  • Basic movement + animations
  • Double jumping
  • Sprinting
  • Basic enemy AI
  • Two attack types (shoot + swing)
  • Upwards and downwards attacking

And this is the end of this post. Once again, thanks a lot for keeping this game alive, even if it was just a little. Please consider going into the game's forums and submitting a character, as this is a game that will only be possible with the help of its community.
I will keep doing my best at making the game, and please contact me if you have any doubts or suggestions, I'll be happy to help, but for now I'm off to try Ultra Street Fighter IV because apparently it's free on Steam. See you soon!

Developer & Cartoonist
[Twitter]
Posho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 05:27:16 PM »

Alright people, quick update.  Hand Any Key Crazy

I've been working on a sprinting animation for the characters. There's not much to it but it adds a visual difference between normal walking and sprinting.

Cheers everyone.  Coffee

Developer & Cartoonist
[Twitter]
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »

love this idea! and sanic ofc

Posho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:02:28 AM »

love this idea! and sanic ofc

Thanks a lot! This is something good to hear.  Coffee

Speaking of Sanic, a lot of players have already made lots of versions of Sonic.

Developer & Cartoonist
[Twitter]
Posho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 11:18:37 AM »

Alright lads, quick update.  Hand Any Key Crazy

I've been working on the new character file import system. As opposed to the previous versions of the game, the program now reads the character files on a directory outside the EXE file, meaning the EXE file can now be less loaded and also be played with less memory usage.

This is an external program I built for checking that every character that players have created work fine. As you can see, there are a few with errors, which need to be checked later.

It also makes some neat character sprite sheets so people can see what the current roster looks like.

We're currently at 506 characters total, all made by the players of this game.

Cheers everyone, I'm off to a grill.  Beer!

Developer & Cartoonist
[Twitter]
PrimeVest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 06:29:41 PM »

I like how the character flips around to face the other direction

Posho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »

Alright lads, quick update.   Hand Any Key Crazy

I merged the new file import system to the game engine. Now all characters' images and values can now be read way more efficiently.

These are just a few random. Can you tell which characters are these?

Cheers everyone.  Coffee

Developer & Cartoonist
[Twitter]
Posho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »

I like how the character flips around to face the other direction
I wanted to add as much code animations as possible since every sprite would only have two frames, so movement does look neat.

Developer & Cartoonist
[Twitter]
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic