Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:05:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborations2D CONCEPT/SPRITE ARTIST NEEDED [unpaid]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D CONCEPT/SPRITE ARTIST NEEDED [unpaid]  (Read 980 times)
Quivorian
Level 0

Bleh. A pic will ruin the mystery that I am. :D

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:00:54 AM »

Hey guyz,

Original post in below, read for details. Right now, however, we're in dire need of an artist--someone who can draw 2D concept art for the main character and for the level we're planning on creating for the vertical slice/talent demo. Also maybe be able to create sprites for the main character. No pressure, we aren't looking for Leonardo da Vinci, just someone willing to work with a team of motivated, if not very much experienced team.

PM me if interested?

Cheers.
Quiv.

PS: All the guys who have given me advice, you're stoic pillars of solid help in the independent game-making community. May you live a happy life and achieve all you aim for in life. I love you!  Smiley

Hi.

First of all, what I am requesting here is going to sound crazy, so I'm going to need people who can place some trust in me. If you can't trust some random guy on the internet... I do understand.  Wink

Over the last year, me and a friend of mine have come up with three different game concepts that we would love to see made into an actual playable game. I have heard a saying, "If there is a story you want to read and it isn't written, write it yourself." Similarly, now there are 3 games I want to play but they don't exist. Since me and my friend don't have the skills required to make them ourselves, we started to learn basic coding and experimenting with both Unity and Unreal.

We are both artists and creative storytellers with good imagination and a vision that we would like to see happen.

We're hoping to create a 2D platformer-style action game with heavy emphasis on the story as our first project and for that, we need a team. We're gonna need coders, programmers, graphic designers and etc. Preferably with enough knowledge to help us learn and create the game.

We plan on creating a "vertical slice" first, of one level we have in our minds that involves some combat, some puzzle and some of the unique brand of insanity that we hope that the final game will have.

If the proof of concept turns out well, we may proceed with either trying to Kickstart it or try to get someone to invest on it.

Should you think you are crazy and generous enough to join us... We'd be glad. And you'd be working with a team (hopefully) that loves to have you as part of it.

Cheers.

Smiley
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:31:38 PM by Quivorian » Logged

....hmmm. I need something clever to have as my signature. Till I think of something sufficiently clever enough, this will be it.

Cheers.
Quiv.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 08:04:58 AM »

I'd recommend one of you learns Game Maker, Construct 2 or something similar. Sadly, no one with experience and skills is going to make the game for you. You may find someone with 0 experience that will learn along, but you might as well just do it yourselves.

Good luck. And start smaller than small.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
cynicus
Level 0

hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »

Sent you a message man!

Sound is my kinda thing
Portfolio | Twitter
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 02:49:23 PM »

TIPS:  Wizard

Don't be overly ambitious for your first game.
     - Am I being realistic?
          No?  Cut ideas.
          Yes? Cut ideas.

Don't assume your game will be fun until it proves itself.
     - Test your gameplay before committing to an idea.
     - Don't be afraid to try something different early in.

Don't generalize what's needed for your game, it's good to have a plan.
     - What do you need for your game? (sounds, art, music)
     - What's the amount of work needed for 2D compared to 3D.
     - What tools (multiple) do you know how to use?
     - Make sure you can afford what you plan on spending!
          Time, money, health, wellness

Biggest tip..  Don't ask others to do your work for you. Y'all can do it guys, just put in the time to learn and you'll grow as developers Smiley Toast Right

http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-game
mcshinigami
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 12:20:51 AM »

Kitheif's link is some gold advice imo. I've been working on a portfolio game to showcase my sound for almost two years and have experienced a lot of what's in that post.

Learning from a fresh start while working with other people of higher experience can be challenging at times. With my personal project I've had people come and go to a point where it was more productive to just make the game myself and ask others with experience for guidance as opposed to adopting them as team members.

That being said, I'm a sound designer and if you get something going that needs some audio feel free to contact me. I like working on projects even if it's just for prototyping. 

Best of luck

Quivorian
Level 0

Bleh. A pic will ruin the mystery that I am. :D

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 04:25:53 AM »

I have personally taken up learning Unity3D (at least the 2D aspects of it) and my partner is drafting and redrafting the story. My skills in Unity are quite basic, but I am learning, which I suppose is the point. We are both brainstorming on gameplay ideas and mechanics. Currently, however, we are in need of a 2D artist to draw up some of concepts for both the character and the level backgrounds.

That being said, Kithief, thank you for the advice. :D

And mcshinigami, I will contact you if I need help with audio.

Y'all are lovely people.  Beer!

....hmmm. I need something clever to have as my signature. Till I think of something sufficiently clever enough, this will be it.

Cheers.
Quiv.
jammin804
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 05:23:33 AM »

Hi Quivorian! I am learning Unity3D aswell. I would really like to learn with you two while building out projects. I feel as the though the best way to learn is through building. If you are still open to another developer to join and learn with you, then let me know!

Thanks! You guys are awesome!  Toast Left
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 06:05:57 AM »

@alvarop, @Kitheif:
Nonetheless, OP has gotten three people interested already. Wink

As long as everyone's on the same page (aspiring newbies wanting to give it a try) I think it's fine – if nothing else it fails and they all learn something. We've all been there. Many of us, at least. OP was being very honest. I've seen the bad examples of people trying to do the same thing using quite different wording and display of confidence…

My own tip for a setup like this would be "the fewer the better", tho, and preferably people you know IRL or at least have the ability to meet up with and get to know IRL. It's so easy for a project like this to fall apart and one's first game shouldn't really require more than a simple trio of "code person", "graphics person" and "audio person", some or all of which may even be rolled into one person. It might take longer, but it will be easier to hold together and there will be less arguing about what to do. So do aim for a small game to begin with.

You might even make a super small game – not the one you're planning on making here – that can actually be feasibly finished in at most a few months (like a mobile game) just to test our your dynamics as a group and learn to work together. It will definitely bond you together (or make you know that you can't work together Wink) for the bigger plans.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic