Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411483 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:40:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralLooking for a specific type of game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for a specific type of game  (Read 529 times)
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a game that is a turn-based combat spaceship battle but that has no 4X metagame elements.
Closest thing I could find was Gratuitous Space Battles, but it is realtime, and the player control element is very limited / an afterthought to the actual design of the game.

Any idea where I might find one that feels more like a board game? (couldbe HEX or TILE grids, or actual pixel-perfect movement, I don't really mind about the specifics).

Thanks
rush
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »

is probably the closest to what you're describing

What about Sid Meiers starships? Apparently its pretty light on the 4x elements

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 07:03:12 PM »

Thanks Rush,

I'll look into H.E.S.

As for Sid Meier's Starships, I actually stumbled upon it this morning, and found it to lack essence. It tries to be a dumbed down version of everything (4x, tactical combat, mission-based progression, etc.) but it turns out it doesn't do much.

Battles an be boiled down to ships having a long vs short range dmg levels, defense, speed, and a very underplayed sensors vs stealth mechanic that rarely comes into play.
Even at the hardest levels, I found myself tech-ing long-range weapons for 2/3 of the game, then ramp up short range + speed and pretty much win every single battle (tech-range FTW).

It was a nice effort, but it's not a great game.
Hopefully Human Extinction Simulator is more interesting (I'm not overly turned-off by the visual, but it seems like it could've been a lot more polished: the ship sprites particularly).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic