Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:42:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralI'm a dummy, trying to get less dumb
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: I'm a dummy, trying to get less dumb  (Read 5988 times)
Liam_Ihasz
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2015, 08:17:30 AM »

Hey guys, I'm really new to the whole game developing thing. I really love it, but i'm total crap at it. Anyway, when I made this account, I had to answer the question, what is Daisuke Amaya's nickname. I had to google him, and I was reading about him when I realized I don't really know a lot about the field I'm trying to get into. So... who else should I know? What books should I read, which online tutorials should I check out? Really this is a pretty loose topic, I was really just wondering if any of you guys had any advice for me. stuff I should know? I hope that this is the right place to ask this kind of question. Thank you so much for anyone who helps out :D
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:40:30 AM »

Welp

go play some old jap games and listen to podcasts or interviews. Tutorial and books depend on the field you want to pursue career in.
If you came here for Notch millions and not really into video games, forget about it. Gamedev is super low-payed and competitive right now, its the lowest salary for artists and programmers on the market.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 08:53:09 AM »

not to mention musicians that have to pay money to get to make music for a game

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Liam_Ihasz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:17:14 AM »

I'm sorry if painted the wrong picture by describing game Dev as a "field" I'ts just something that I think is super fun, and something that I can be really creative with. I know you said is very competitive right now, and that makes me nervous. I don't really want to compete with anybody... If I put a game I made, is it gonna get torn apart if its not perfect? I know I'm not gonna make a dime doing this  Shrug I just think its fun. And thank you for responding. :D I have listened to the Newb Quest podcast by Matt MirrorFish, but are there any other podcasts you could recommend? I quite enjoyed them. To be honest I just want  information for information's sake  Smiley
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »

not to mention musicians that have to pay money to get to make music for a game
I'm really hoping that this is a joke.

SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »

It's ok to not know him. His game, Cave Story, was a pretty big thing when indie games started, but now it's a lot less talked about. So if you're a young person without much experience with indie games you have no reason to know his nickname.

About your question, I'm not a designer, but I think you should just play games. If you wanna know about indie stuff, browse through the front page on tigs and you'll have a lot of games to play. If you like a specific genre, choose the tag accordingly. If you want to know about games in general just browse through those "best of all time" game lists and see if there's anything you would like to play.

I don't know about reading books, as I don't usually read game designer ones. Personally, I like to watch some youtube channels, ones like Suppper Bunnyhop, Matthewmatosis, Geek Critique, Errant Signal, etc, and read interviews/thoughts of designers of my fav games.

That's a generic answer, because you didn't mentioned what you like about development. (programming, art, music,)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »

Cave Story was more well known before indies became a big thing though. Think mid '00s or so (indies became more notorious in the late '00s). In fact I don't think anybody would have ever called Cave Story an indie game back then because nobody even knew the word, let alone what it meant.

I guess that's more to the point though.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 01:00:54 PM »

I remember coming across Cave Story because of Tom Yorke / Radiohead's blog (deadairspace). Back then you would call these games freeware, I guess?

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »

i'm really smart
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 02:08:31 PM »

i'm really smart
Nah, you are my biggest fan and still haven't solved TrapThem.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »

Cave Story was more well known before indies became a big thing though. Think mid '00s or so (indies became more notorious in the late '00s). In fact I don't think anybody would have ever called Cave Story an indie game back then because nobody even knew the word, let alone what it meant.

I guess that's more to the point though.

I think I heard about Cave Story about five years ago in a magazine. I remember being amazed by it and the fact that it was made by one guy. I've wanted to make my own game ever since, and I have fond memories of myself doodling weapons for it based on driftwood I would find on the beach in the summer as a young teen.

Also, yeah, no one called it indie back then.

SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 05:44:23 PM »

Five years ago this site already existed and the whole indie scene was going really strong. Remember Braid was released in 2008. Before that, around 2006-09, Cave Story was a pretty influential force in the indie games community, people compared other new plataformers to it and games, like the underside, were being made with direct homenage to it. The pixel reference in the registering process on Tigs is older than five years ago, I believe.

btw, I never said that Cave Story was released when the indie scene started or that he was less influential before it. But that's just a very tangential topic to the whole thread anyway. So  Cave Story 
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 06:30:36 PM »

Cave Story indeed

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Liam_Ihasz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 07:53:33 PM »

Woah. A lot of people had something to say. Thank you guys :D
specifically SousaVilla, I'll defiantly check out the mentioned youtube channels. And you're right, I didn't mention what I like about development. I'd like to call my self a musician, but I'd really like to be able to program and draw to. I have been working with Game maker for 3-4 years, So I can pretty much only "program" in gml. I can make pretty decent music, But I'm god awful at game art. I can make ok still sprites, but my animations looks really crummy. I'd really like to learn how to draw better, But right now I think I should learn a more powerful programming language. Which brings up another question... what engine should I use now that i'm ready to expand from game maker? what programming language? I was thinking maybe C# in Unity... but I'm afraid that may be to difficult. This forum has been very positive so far, what do you guys think? 
Conker
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 11:47:54 PM »

haha a cave story thread
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 07:34:15 AM »

haha a cave story thread

Yeah, it was buried very deep. "Badum tss!"

Manuel Magalhães