Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:23:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA Pirate Versus Several Ninjas [Demo Up! 5/6/15]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Pirate Versus Several Ninjas [Demo Up! 5/6/15]  (Read 1344 times)
JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2015, 05:24:21 AM »

I've just started making this game; what you see above is essentially what I've got so far, beyond a basic plan.

One focus I do have with the game is the graphics, I want them to the point where you don't notice them. They're to be a vehicle for the gameplay: it is to be like a 2D Zelda game only without developer-created puzzles, but with the aim of killing several ninjas using your brain, the AI system and the non-physics engine. Against, the first Ninja getting luck with a shot from your pistol might be good enough, but as they die the remaining ones become more difficult.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:45:08 AM by JohansenIndustries » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:32:48 AM »

i have a suggestion: literally any other theme
JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 03:16:00 AM »

I've done other themes. I'll do other themes. But sometimes, you just want to pull a UB Cable and jack in, y'know.

LOoking at the GIF makes it clear that my player moves too fast, which is something I didn't notice when moving it for the demonstration. That's interesting; although not too important since it was temporary anyway. Still, a useful learning experience.

JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:25:15 AM »

The game is going to involve several biomes. You'll be able to teleport between them by using your teleporting belt, but the belt doesn't just move yourself, but also things in the nearby vicinity. This includes things that might be useful for puzzles, but it can also include the ninjas!

At the moment, I'm going to work on music for the meadow biome, and then create a full tutorial/prototype.

JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 03:02:11 AM »

Decided, to go with the tileset for the world that I thought would be hardest to make look interesting. Probably, still not a finished product, but I like the concepts.

JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 02:22:41 AM »

I've now added something approaching gameplay in that you can call up the list in order to find instructions on the location of key items (so far just the cannon which so far does nothing) so that you can find it. I'm expecting to implement the worldhopping today, so I ought to have a full base to be added to, rather than changed.

I'm also trying to write some music to capture the tone, which I though would be easier to be honest.

JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »

So I made some music that I really liked, only to learn that I couldn't really change the filetype to something useful. Now starting again with a different software (which I tested to start with).

A playable demo is mostly done apart from the big issue of enemy AI. Also, need to addweaponry, but I don't see that being difficult. I expect to have the demo ready on Friday.

No GIF since my internet isn't working. That may have something to do with the boost in nearly-doneness.

JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 10:47:41 AM »

Internet back up so:

JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 10:21:22 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whhxdSBRwso&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1

A clip of it including sound (it was made by putting a GIF and a soundtrack together, I'm not sure of any other way to do it.)

JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 05:47:11 AM »

I've got a demo up http://www.kongregate.com/games/JohansenIndustr/a-pirate-versus-several-ninjas-beta

This is one of those annoying types of games that are all about exploring and trying to work out what will or won't work. As i know everyone thing about that, I'm not sure how well I can get it across.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »

what the hell is that?
JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 05:55:28 AM »

what the hell is that?
Anything in particular inspired that comment?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 06:01:51 AM »

the transition fade is so slow after the control tutorial, spam shooting reset the initial bullet.
What's the point of this game?
JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 06:10:02 AM »

the transition fade is so slow after the control tutorial, spam shooting reset the initial bullet.
What's the point of this game?
The point is to kill the three ninjas.
Spam shooting isn't supposed to be in the game, so the bullet reset is deliberate and has been in mind for a long as I've realised that my gun-toting pirate ought to be able to fire his gun.

Thanks for the comment on the transition fade, I was wondering about that myself.

JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 06:37:19 AM »

I made the transition lmost twice as fast. I've also increased the difficulty of the game by making the ninjas chase much faster; they were only so slow before to make it easier to test for bugs and such.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic