This is a TIGSource TIGER Assault Free Form
Competition.What is TIGSource?
You're sitting in it.What is TIGER Assault?
TIGER Assaults are short competitions based around a particular theme. The emphasis is on collaboration, sharing, and, most of all, the completion
of projects. I.e., it's an exercise in making small, tight, enjoyable/interesting games that can be played from beginning to end. There are no prizes involved.
The theme of the game is cockpits. Technically, a cockpit is the area where a pilot controls an airplane, but in this competition, it can be any kind of vehicle or thing you might control.
There have been many great cockpit games in the past, like Microsoft Flight Simulator
, TIE Fighter
, Wing Commander
, Robocop 3
, etc., and more recently, Steel Battalion
and yes, even Metroid Prime
. And there have been some real stinkers, too (*cough* Sewer Shark
*cough*). But even so, cockpits are a rare sight in games - there's still a lot of unexplored territory here.
How you want to define the cockpit in your game is up to you, but it should play a pivotal role in how you design your game!
Also, to quote toastie:
I don't think simple 3d is very hard to do. I think this compo can be a good introduction to it for people who have never done it.
BUT! There's no reason why you couldn't also do a cockpit game in 2d. Remember the boss of the first level of Battletoads? Use your imagination!
Sunday, February 22ndEnd Date:
Sunday, March 29th (Around Midnight)Rules:
- Entries should be started and ended within the time frame of the competition to be considered for judging (but it's OKAY if you start thinking/prototyping a bit earlier).
- Using pre-existing game engines is OKAY.
- Entries must be made for the competition only (but you can do whatever you wish with them once they're finished).
- Collaborations are allowed and, in fact, are welcomed.
- As usual, you should start a thread to track the development of your game! Please put your thread in the Cockpit Compo subforum
- You may submit more than one game.
- Submit your game by declaring "FINISHED" on your game's thread. Include the download link to the latest version of the game somewhere where I can find it.
Okay, let's do it!