Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:01:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSo what can you procedurally generate?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: So what can you procedurally generate?  (Read 16957 times)
Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 11:39:42 AM »

Trying to generate some spiraling-ish islands in game maker, but I'm currently not that successful D:
I think I'm having trouble with figuring out my plan of approach

red tiles are background tiles, purple tiles are island tiles, brown tiles are the base island tiles and the green blue-ish is the background

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »

Interesting, what exactly are you wanting out of a spiral island shape?

(Also your colors meanings confuse me Tongue)
Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 12:20:14 PM »

Interesting, what exactly are you wanting out of a spiral island shape?

(Also your colors meanings confuse me Tongue)
I honestly have no idea, I wanted to make some fun platform level thingies, but currently the thing's being shitty and I kinda raged at it :'D

Right now I have this stuff, I hope it's a little bit more clear instead of the random colour coding :'D

As you can see not everything gets tiled and there are darker blocks of blue sky, which are solid blocks that stay there for no reason and don't tile.
It's a pretty buggy thing, so I might want to redo it in a better way.

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 08:16:03 AM »

THis is a really interesting subject, we are trying to create an action puzzle that generates levels based on small prefabricated puzzle scenes, so far its hard to tell if that is the best approach for puzzles.

I have been doing interaction design for the last decade, designed Shapist puzzle and working on TALLNUM & KoriKori now... follow me on Twitter . Space cowboy, father of two lemons
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 03:18:38 AM »

THis is a really interesting subject, we are trying to create an action puzzle that generates levels based on small prefabricated puzzle scenes, so far its hard to tell if that is the best approach for puzzles.

I think it's great to approach puzzles that way if randomness works well with your rules!
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 01:26:44 PM »

Hearing some awesome stuff about Voronoi from my friend Gord!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:27:41 PM by BomberTREE » Logged
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 11:24:09 AM »

Bump:

Amusingly those rocks don't have any 3D calculations at all (not even anything you could consider "2.5D"), it's entirely sine/cosine trickery right there. Looks like the rocks from Sonic 3D, which is nice. (those patches of grass are cheated just as much)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 12:12:42 PM »

River names ... with questionable results at times Who, Me?

rhill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 08:55:23 PM »

Tunnels

travis_foo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 08:52:56 AM »

been working on the system to create this for awhile...

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 12:26:39 PM »

@Sik
Haha those are cute!

@Eigen
Facepalm Yesss, that's hilarious

@rhill
Those tunnels are very trippy! They get pretty distorted in the center.

@travis_foo
Oh hey!
Could you explain what you're doing a bit?
travis_foo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 05:45:07 PM »

@travis_foo
Oh hey!

Ah, yes, should have explained.

i've been working on an infinite terrain system. the terrain is split into tiles (9x9 in this case). When the player moves forward past the center tile, some of the tiles move and recalculate their height. the gif doesn't really show what's been the hardest part of making this, which is the threading and waiting. My goal was to get no frame drops on my Macbook (which I've finally achieved). I'm using Unity, and while you can use threading, you can't use any API calls in a thread. So trying to get the physics and mesh creation to have good performance was a challenge.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 12:38:22 PM »

@travis_foo
Oh hey!

Ah, yes, should have explained.

i've been working on an infinite terrain system. the terrain is split into tiles (9x9 in this case). When the player moves forward past the center tile, some of the tiles move and recalculate their height. the gif doesn't really show what's been the hardest part of making this, which is the threading and waiting. My goal was to get no frame drops on my Macbook (which I've finally achieved). I'm using Unity, and while you can use threading, you can't use any API calls in a thread. So trying to get the physics and mesh creation to have good performance was a challenge.

Okay, that's what I thought you were doing!
I guess it surprised me because your gif shows it happening step by step  Wink

Good job on the mac optimization Hand Thumbs Up Right
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2016, 02:14:39 PM »

Something I've always wanted to make  Smiley

An always-completable level generator that gets more complicated with time.
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2016, 04:07:12 PM »

Tried my hand at random gen for my ludum dare entry, not wonderful, but it was an interesting experience!

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2016, 11:01:38 PM »

What can I procedurally generate?

Why a never ending hellscape of screaming, laughing, honking clowns.  And I did...about a year ago all in one afternoon I threw this abomination of a walking simulator together.

I cooked up an account and threw it up on newgrounds so I could quickly send the link to a friend who was at work before they took it down, lo and behold they kept it... Shrug

infinite landscape: Generated
clowns: Generated
color values for the sky to strobe into: Generated(RIP any gif of gameplay)

By all means try it! Seriously though...seizure warning

@travis_foo I actually used a method similar to yours but inferior by far.  My method simply destroyed terrain behind and generated what was destroyed up front.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2016, 02:24:07 AM »

@Skaz
You gotta start somewhere! And is that a bunch of gold I see?  Hand Money Left
Edit: just saw your game, looks cool!

@NoLocality
Lol, that's one heck of an annoying gif man  Wink
Screaming sounds and flickering images aren't my cup of tea, but if you made something a little less twitchy and more controlled, I could totally be interested! Exploring procgen can be sweet if done right. (Idk about a clown world though haha)
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 01:52:20 PM »

Exploring procgen can be sweet if done right. (Idk about a clown world though haha)

It can be sweet indeed!

A much less annoying example of mine would be the procgen ocean-waves from a prototype.  It could be accurately described as either starfox on a boat or waverace 64 with guns.

I sped up the wave generation 5x for this gif and you can see me attempting to gun down stationary enemies as my boat is being tossed like a rag doll...fyi I had to capture the gif from the scene view as the 'behind the boat' view was essentially a roller coaster with the ultra fast waves

The waves are generated via perlin noise, I took a stab at a more customized solution that collided sine-wave functions from separate axis's (axees?) but they either produced waves that were entirely to uniform/identical or simply didn't take kindly to introducing random elements into the calculations.

Not what I would assume comes to most people's mind when talking procgen but it certainly fits the bill.

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2016, 04:31:21 AM »

Countersheets (for cardboard counters for actual physical print'n'play game) with generated robot images and stats experiment a few years ago:

<a href="https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1280620/printnplay-collectible-game-prototype-and-ideas">description</a>

Have spent a lot of time since coming up with other ideas for how to use procedural generation to make physical boardgames (and thinking of why) but no more serious experiments so far.

EDIT: Summary: Each column on each page of counters is a squad. The idea was that you generate a lot of squads, print a few good ones, and play against someone else with whatever good squads they have found. Not a great idea, but wanted to try. Me and my brother had some fun generating squads and playtesting (once).
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 11:22:23 PM »

@NoLocality
Haha I love waves like that mainly because of waverace64<3, they definitely fit the bill!

@pelle
Interesting idea, that's really original man. If you made sure every "sheet" was balanced with one another, you could really get something cool going where the players are responsible for picking the right units for the job  Smiley

Here's an update on my level generator for Magic Tower.

Objects are placed  strategically to keep gameplay interesting. (Key/Door/Enemy placement)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:32:55 PM by BomberTREE » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic