Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 05:43:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Spooky Cave - Twinstick roguedark with physics based combat
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Spooky Cave - Twinstick roguedark with physics based combat  (Read 939 times)
polkm
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »

Hi ya'll I'd like to get some feedback on the early stage of my combat system. It's extremely simplistic right now so I'd like to here what you guys think I should add to make it more engaging.

Here's what it looks like

Download
http://polkm.itch.io/the-spooky-cave-combat-beta

The controls are just WADS to move and arrow keys to swing the sword around.

I seek any feedback on any aspect of the game so far. I also would appreciate ideas

zarxto
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »

Interesting.

You should name the game Cave Junker Or Maybe even something like Underbound/Cavebound?

I could help with the music if you want. I create 8 bit like music mostly 
zarxto
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »

And maybe change the combat to the numpad or something like that so you can have more freedom on swinging or use the mouse input
flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 08:08:15 AM »

I've already had your game for a couple of months, and played it a lot, so it was really awesome to see a new version.  Sadly, I prefer the mechanics of the older version.  I understand that this is in early dev, but the mouse seemed to work a lot better.

Can't wait to see a final version of this!
polkm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »

Mouse and controller controls will be back for the next test phase.

DeanBDean
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 03:05:34 AM »

To me the crab enemies could be made interesting with a couple of tweaks.

• I think if they moved faster going sideways as opposed to straight on, this could make for some interesting defensive strategy. A crab would spawn randomly either horizontally or vertically oriented
  • The crabs could scoot, then attack, scoot, then attack. This idea is tied to my next idea
  • The crabs should try to surround the player. So, if there is a crab directly in front of the player, the other crabs will try to go to the sides. This, combined with the crabs scooting and then attacking, would create a sort of rhythmic attack system. If a crab scoots in front of the player, the player needs to target that crab first before it goes into its attack move
  • Also, the little bugs could slow the character like the little black puffs do in Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Maybe some sort of spin move would get them off, at the cost of depriving the character from moving.

I definitely like the look. It feels dark and grungy like a spooky cave. The death posture of the crabs reminds me of Hotline Miami which is satisfying after a battle. The character movements feel very smooth. The sword movement does not. I think if the swings were a bit sharper and faster, it would improve the feel.
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 03:10:30 AM »

I don't have the time to test it right now, but just a little advice: if you make WASD key to move, make also ZQSD available as secondary controls. Switching from QWERTY to AZERTY keyboard is not very practical.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
LudensCogitet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 06:26:11 AM »

I like the concept of the sword always damaging enemies so that attacking is a matter of getting the sword to the right place.

I found myself holding one arrow key down to orient the sword for an attack, and then hitting another arrow key to perform a swing.

The sword's movement does feel very floaty at the moment. I'm not sure I think that should disappear altogether, as learning to manage the weight and swing speed of the sword is a nice mechanic. But, right now it feels pretty chaotic, like it needs to be dialed in a bit.

How do you plan to implement animations? The free-floating sword seems like it would be pretty difficult to integrate into character animations.

"That daddy is a very clever boy." - My 2 year old daughter.

Twitter

My Blog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic