Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:48:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIn Memoriam: Dead devlogs/games you wish were still in development
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: In Memoriam: Dead devlogs/games you wish were still in development  (Read 2264 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 03:24:03 AM »

Poi and Vane seem to be dying and coming back all the time. Quill too. But they've all been bumped fairly recently so my hopes are up.

Can't think of any game that's really died entirely that I remember I was excited about.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 04:45:02 AM »

Warcraft adventure: Lord of the clans was finished and people who did CDi Zelda cutscenes reportedly had it in their offices. Just think about it.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 08:08:51 AM »

also earthbound 64 and the original zelda 64 with the persistent world.

Now that the 64DD is emulated somebody should go and see how much of the disk support in OoT is still left. I know some of it has been found but that doesn't tell us much yet since we don't know how much actually works (not to mention code that has been left unused and would need hacking to be triggered).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 08:33:56 AM »

holy fuck, theyre still finding stuff in OoT? i was (passively) involved in that whole "scene" for a while and when they found the fully functioning(!!) arwing enemy i thought that was it for sure.

tho i wasnt talking about ura zelda but the original zelda 64 that was planned as a 64dd exclusive (and eventually reworked into OoT).

also truthtfully i don't think there is any actual ura zelda content in OoT's files. what they found was most likely just the "hooks" to make it work later on.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 09:39:40 AM »

Still, the hooks would be cool to work out for programmers.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 01:33:34 PM »

It looked cool. I also wish the first game got a good, real sequel. Prey 2 looked nothing like Prey 1 but of course still better since Prey is mediocre.

Yeah, and there was something about being a cool bounty hunter in a huge alien world.
Hopefully they'll get to make that game under a different, more accurate name one day.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 08:07:59 AM »

holy fuck, theyre still finding stuff in OoT? i was (passively) involved in that whole "scene" for a while and when they found the fully functioning(!!) arwing enemy i thought that was it for sure.

tho i wasnt talking about ura zelda but the original zelda 64 that was planned as a 64dd exclusive (and eventually reworked into OoT).

also truthtfully i don't think there is any actual ura zelda content in OoT's files. what they found was most likely just the "hooks" to make it work later on.

Take into account that 64DD emulation is recent - as in, I saw the news like a week ago or so? (Mario Artist runs mostly fine, except for Polygon Studio being unable to pick stuff with the HLE engine, same issue that Pokémon Snap has in fact) Now that the 64DD is emulated it'll give room to finding a lot more of stuff.

As for Ura Zelda, yeah, I imagine only the hooks are there. If there's any Ura Zelda stuff to be found, it'd be present in Majora's Mask (since that's what started as Ura Zelda originally, right?).

EDIT: er, rereading your post. If I recall correctly, OoT was always a cartridge game, and then it had disk hooks in order to make it load Majora's Mask from the 64DD. I could be wrong though, but given they did exactly that with F-Zero X, I wouldn't be surprised.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 09:19:52 AM »

EDIT: er, rereading your post. If I recall correctly, OoT was always a cartridge game, and then it had disk hooks in order to make it load Majora's Mask from the 64DD. I could be wrong though, but given they did exactly that with F-Zero X, I wouldn't be surprised.

nope it was originally meant to be 64dd exclusive. well "originally" lol. zelda 64 went through many iterations before becoming the OoT we know and love.  i think the idea was ultimately scrapped due to 64dd delay and replaced with the OoT/ura concept which was also scrapped when the 64dd tanked.

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/16/zelda64-project-development/

The first version of Zelda 64 was originally conceived as a title developed specifically to make full use of the innovative features of the 64DD, like the internal clock, rewritable disks with more space than a normal N64 cartridge, internet connection and 3D editing. Zelda 64DD was planned to be a revolutionary game, that would have not be possible to be made on a normal Nintendo 64. Miyamoto and his team wanted to make Hyrule a persistent world: any changes that Link would perform on it would be saved on the disk: any cut tree, any broken container and any other changes made to the environment would have been saved in the game for the entire adventure (a feature that was later used in Dōbutsu no Mori / Animal Crossing for the N64).

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:55:33 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 12:58:46 PM »

Then yeah, from Zelda 64 there's probably nothing left then (although I have the feeling most of that stuff was ditched before even being considered into the code). There's probably some Ura stuff there though, just the thing is how much is still functional when a 64DD is connected. (that the "disk" label can come up by just messing with the savegame reads though would imply that it still has code for determining whether a savegame is formatted for disk or not, which could suggest more stuff like that still being hidden)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »

Then yeah, from Zelda 64 there's probably nothing left then (although I have the feeling most of that stuff was ditched before even being considered into the code).

welp there's a leaked debug rom of OoT with some very early preview maps and stuff still in the game files, but no 64dd exclusive stuff (afaik).
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2015, 12:03:12 PM »

I remember seeing some cool demakes of Aquaria and Spelunky (Aquarium and Splunko?) way back when, but it seems their devs hit some hard times. Sad

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic