Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:06:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs#WAGchallenge - Write a Game in a Month - 'Plant 19'
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: #WAGchallenge - Write a Game in a Month - 'Plant 19'  (Read 2756 times)
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 04:24:29 AM »

Day 11...... err Day 26? Hmm. Wonder if anyone was wondering where this went.

So, yeah, ok.

Big picture/lesson: Planning/management are crucial. And when they aren't in place, 2 weeks have a way of slipping by.

But not exactly.

The script is written. The voice recordings are all done but one. And the music guy was replaced with someone who actually exists, and a few tracks are composed.

The art... welllll, that was my area, as we know, and I've neglected that work. Placeholder art? Sure, not a problem, thanks to Aaron.
Final game art/More appealing art? Ehhh, no not really.

So how's the engine then. It's good. Works. Triggers and such are in place. Though the very ending needs to be worked on.

But to top it all off? Tonight is the last night Aaron has to work on the game. It's gonna be the definition of a cram session.

It's funny how I wanna say this is not going to turn out how I planned. But then, I didn't exactly make out a plan that stretched this far in the first place.

So, my mistake for this project/experience? Not setting up a plan. And how to overcome not doing it again? Simple. Set a plan. At least, try harder to set one that stretches further next time.

The game isn't going to be judged on the art, thankfully. Just the writing is the focal point. And I hope the judges like it.

A link to the itch.io page will be posted here, all pending on if we actually finish the game where it's "acceptable" Tongue

Though Aaron won't be able to continue working with me on Plant 19 after tomorrow, I think I want to start a fresh Devlog, one where I hurdle the task of learning how to code (gamemaker perhaps? any suggestions for a 2D game?), the art, and the all important planning of it all.

Will hopefully be able to use the service of the supporting team members later once I get the new game is functioning too Smiley

Here's hoping Coffee

TheValar
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »

I like the look of the mockups. Was looking forward to seeing everything in motion. Definitely keep going with this and finish it even if it means reigning in the initial scope :D
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 03:27:51 AM »

I like the look of the mockups. Was looking forward to seeing everything in motion. Definitely keep going with this and finish it even if it means reigning in the initial scope :D
Ah hey thanks! I somehow missed your reply, and appreciate the remark Smiley

Unfortunately, my and Aaron's last day to work on the game was Saturday morning, and as we attempted to complete it, after a while it was pretty clear we just couldn't do it in the time we had left. So we stopped. The voice actors and music composer were informed, and were thankfully understanding of our position.

But, not all is lost. I most definitely learned a lot during WAG, most notably time management, or at least an understanding of how lacking I am in that skill. That and lots of other things, though, I am very grateful for.

But so, with this experience now done, I have decided I want to continue with this game, and to attempt to create Plant 19 on my own. At least in regards in that I want to pick up coding the game.

So I shall create a new topic for it, over HERE.

But thanks to anyone who read this Devlog, and especially to those who replied with words of encouragement. And I shant forget a big thanks to the other members of our team during this, and to Aaron for his patience and willingness to work with me Smiley

Cheers! And here's to the next project Beer!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:56:38 AM by Chris Early » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic